Gus poyet

Gus Poyet completely ran out of ideas when he was here last. I thank him for the brilliant semifinal at Old Trafford and a decent day at Wembley but I don't want to revisit any of the rest.
Ran out of ideas in the Premier League. We are currently a midtable a League One side. Failing at that level isn't a crime, many have done it but had success in lower divisions.

Really hope there's no substance to that. Need a total break from the constant losing mentality that has gripped the club over the last decade

With so much in the air, takeover wise, no one has a bloody clue which way it will go. For those who think it's just a way for the old guard to stay in charge, all reports talk about a consortium led by Louis-Dreyfus and Sartori. That suggests Sartori has distanced himself from the other two, and is now in cahoots with his Swiss buddy. They're appointing a SpD, and who knows what he will want. The bookies are likely to make a fortune here.

With so much in the air, takeover wise, no one has a bloody clue which way it will go. For those who think it's just a way for the old guard to stay in charge, all reports talk about a consortium led by Louis-Dreyfus and Sartori. That suggests Sartori has distanced himself from the other two, and is now in cahoots with his Swiss buddy. They're appointing a SpD, and who knows what he will want. The bookies are likely to make a fortune here.

Unless the interview consisted of "Can you get the right players for Gus Poyet?"

Do people think we’ve got the players for the passing/possession football that Gus aspires to? We can’t change much in Jan, we’d have to shift players out first and who’s going to buy them with the wage cap?

Later on Poyet abandoned this approach, and what he served up after that was dire. Defend, defend. 1 up front, isolated. Fletcher and Altidore couldn’t score in the system. Defoe managed a few but was feeding off scraps.

Do people think we’ve got the players for the passing/possession football that Gus aspires to? We can’t change much in Jan, we’d have to shift players out first and who’s going to buy them with the wage cap?

Later on Poyet abandoned this approach, and what he served up after that was dire. Defend, defend. 1 up front, isolated. Fletcher and Altidore couldn’t score in the system. Defoe managed a few but was feeding off scraps.

Some very good points along the lines of my concerns too.

Would love to hear from Poyet how he would approach the game in 2020/21. Think he's an intelligent bloke and has had time to reflect but would like to know that before we give him a job!
The chatter around Jocelyn Gourvennec is interesting. Louis-Dreyfus will know of him, and apparently he turned down the Dijon job recently.

Never heard of him but to be honest I'm just thrilled at the possibilities right now. The reactionary nature of football means that following Parky we almost certainly will not go for anyone dull.

There are more positives than negatives. He plays good football, he is well liked by the fans, he understands the pressures and the expectations PLUS he has experience of promotion from this league
I disagree, I don't think he plays good football. He plays a short passing game, which may sound more desirable than hoofball, but when most of the passing is sideways and backwards it's not very exciting. In fact if you were to look back at this board in Poyet's final days I bet the posts would be remarkably similar the the PP ones. It was boring, negative football designed to stifle the opposition with the hope that we could get lucky and find a goal.

Would love to hear from Poyet how he would approach the game in 2020/21. Think he's an intelligent bloke and has had time to reflect but would like to know that before we give him a job!

Never heard of him but to be honest I'm just thrilled at the possibilities right now. The reactionary nature of football means that following Parky we almost certainly will not go for anyone dull.

I disagree, I don't think he plays good football. He plays a short passing game, which may sound more desirable than hoofball, but when most of the passing is sideways and backwards it's not very exciting. In fact if you were to look back at this board in Poyet's final days I bet the posts would be remarkably similar the the PP ones. It was boring, negative football designed to stifle the opposition with the hope that we could get lucky and find a goal.

Tbf we played some lovely stuff under him in the first season but Ki and Borini were integral to his system that year and as much as I like the bloke the 2nd season was utter shite.

They’re definitely valid reservations, particularly the patient style not necessarily being the best fit for our fan base and football culture up here.

For me though, Poyet’s main strength was his coaching. People made similar comments about O’Shea, Bardsley and Cattermole adopting to Poyet’s style but he got them doing it effectively in weeks.

People were sure as hell sneery about the prospect of him getting league 1 relegation contenders Brighton playing that way but he quickly managed it there too. With lesser players than we have now.

The style is as much about coaching of movement and presenting of angles as it is about technical ability anyway.

Last edited:
Nothing on there about his style of play, but I'll have a dig around online to see if I can see anything later.

Would be an ambitious choice with a career ahead of him!

Joined Guingamp when they were in the Ligue National (equivalent to L1) and won the Coupe de Ligue in 2014 when they were in Ligue 1, and so got them into Europe. Went on to finish 6th in both seasons at Bordeaux. Apparently favours counter-attacking wing play, but I can't confirm. Has Marseille connections.

Joined Guingamp when they were in the Ligue National (equivalent to L1) and won the Coupe de Ligue in 2014 when they were in Ligue 1, and so got them into Europe. Went on to finish 6th in both seasons at Bordeaux. Apparently favours counter-attacking wing play, but I can't confirm. Has Marseille connections.

Sounds very decent in terms of similarity between his biggest success and where we find ourselves now. Who knows if he'd come but it's certainly enjoyable to chat about stuff like this instead of constantly getting into arguments about how bad we are and who is to blame :D

Plus I just read he's a leftist so me and your son (assuming he is a MLF) will be happy as Larry about that! ;)

Tbf we played some lovely stuff under him in the first season but Ki and Borini were integral to his system that year and as much as I like the bloke the 2nd season was utter shite.
Perhaps I have ignored the first season, it's the second that sticks in my mind. It's fair to say it will go wrong for every manager if they stay long enough.

I'd still rather try somebody else, someone on the way up perhaps.

Sounds very decent in terms of similarity between his biggest success and where we find ourselves now. Who knows if he'd come but it's certainly enjoyable to chat about stuff like this instead of constantly getting into arguments about how bad we are and who is to blame :D

Plus I just read he's a leftist so me and your son (assuming he is a MLF) will be happy as Larry about that! ;)

You make that sound like he had a choice 😉

I think there is a better than fair chance. IMHO
Would think he is first choice

Or couldn’t you just mutually terminate them if you have the coin ?

Last edited:

Back