Guitar Gear Thread. Your new, next or future guitars, amps, FX etc.

Yep. I’ve been really impressed any time I’ve played one. Only thing that lets them down a bit is the finish, but that’s the case on most imports. Was also going to suggest Eastman, I’m not familiar with Auden.

Recording King are not bad either - bit cheaper than Blueridge but still decent guitars. I don't think they are avilable outside of China as the outfit that makes them are an OEM but there is a brand called Gabriel which make very good acoustics for not a huge amount of cash, I bought one of their factory seconds (has a few finish blemishes) and it is a thing of beauty and cost under 200 quid.

While I'm not a fan of playing acoustics I did some research into those Blueridges and the sound clips do sound good. I did however find this brand of guitar which I feel an instant affiliation with:

:lol:

While I'm not a fan of playing acoustics I did some research into those Blueridges and the sound clips do sound good. I did however find this brand of guitar which I feel an instant affiliation with:

:lol:
Those Cuntz are expensive
Recording King are not bad either - bit cheaper than Blueridge but still decent guitars. I don't think they are avilable outside of China as the outfit that makes them are an OEM but there is a brand called Gabriel which make very good acoustics for not a huge amount of cash, I bought one of their factory seconds (has a few finish blemishes) and it is a thing of beauty and cost under 200 quid.
Interesting! Never heard of Gabriel. My mate has a Recording King slope shoulder jumbo - loves it. I wondered if they were made in the same factory as the Blueridge.

I’ve been tempted by some of their Adirondack topped models - but I’m sorted for guitars really.

If I was filthy rich I’d buy an original 1930s Recording King Ray Whitley - dream guitar, basically a Gibson advanced jumbo.

Last edited:
As this thread popped up, want - Gibson ES-339 OR Epi Dave Grohl, but I need to part with the 2007 Les Paul Std & Les Paul Studio first and poss the Gretsch Baritone. Whats the best way to sell guitars these days and get some (realistic) value without having to ship ?

guitarguitar prices were laughable last time I looked.

As this thread popped up, want - Gibson ES-339 OR Epi Dave Grohl, but I need to part with the 2007 Les Paul Std & Les Paul Studio first and poss the Gretsch Baritone. Whats the best way to sell guitars these days and get some (realistic) value without having to ship ?

guitarguitar prices were laughable last time I looked.

To be honest to get the best prices you're gonna have to ship, so sorry if below isn't helpful. I've sold on reverb, marketplace and ebay and they all have pro's and cons.

Marketplace - lots of timewasters and scammers, lower prices out of the three but great if you're buying. I've found if you offer delivery in your local area you get a bit more interest. No sellers fees.
Ebay - I've always had to ship as no one has taken up the local pickup. If you're patient you might get someone local. You can send insured with Parcelforce for around £12.00, and you can buy guitar shipping boxes on ebay which means packed, insured and shipping is around £20 which I've never had anyone complain about. Seller fees are eye watering - around 15% or something mind boggling now but selling here will reach the widest market and if you can get a bidding war going then happy days.
Reverb - you always have to post, but this is where you'll get the best prices as its where the enthusiasts sell and buy. Also has seller fees around 5%.

Don't know of any 2nd hand music shops these days taking in part exchanges or buying outright for sensible prices.

To be honest to get the best prices you're gonna have to ship, so sorry if below isn't helpful. I've sold on reverb, marketplace and ebay and they all have pro's and cons.

Marketplace - lots of timewasters and scammers, lower prices out of the three but great if you're buying. I've found if you offer delivery in your local area you get a bit more interest. No sellers fees.
Ebay - I've always had to ship as no one has taken up the local pickup. If you're patient you might get someone local. You can send insured with Parcelforce for around £12.00, and you can buy guitar shipping boxes on ebay which means packed, insured and shipping is around £20 which I've never had anyone complain about. Seller fees are eye watering - around 15% or something mind boggling now but selling here will reach the widest market and if you can get a bidding war going then happy days.
Reverb - you always have to post, but this is where you'll get the best prices as its where the enthusiasts sell and buy. Also has seller fees around 5%.

Don't know of any 2nd hand music shops these days taking in part exchanges or buying outright for sensible prices.
Ebay are Robbers. Had my eyes taken out selling a Hagstrom for £450, ended up paying around 27% fees to Ebay. NEVER AGAIN.

I'd usually start with some "boring" warmup stuff to build strength and co-ordination, then some scales, then some fun stuff like improvised jamming along to some backing tracks (trying to incorporate different scales and modes in amongst my comfort-zone go-to licks), and then focus on a specific technique or song I'm trying to master.

The warmup exercise I play for strength, I consider to be one of the most important parts of my regime, despite being technically a "boring" 1234-type thing. I learned this one from a John Petrucci video many years ago, and I still swear by it as a great warmup. :)

I'll start around the 7th fret and play the E-A-D-G strings on frets 7-8-9-10 as a slow-picked arpeggio (this is NOT a speed exercise, it's a strength exercise, so it works better if you leave say a second in between notes), holding down all the notes so that they ring out as a chord, paying close attention to making sure every note sounds "beautiful", rings out properly, and none of the notes get muted by your other fingers.

After a few seconds of it ringing out, swap the two middle fingers around, so that you're playing 7-9-8-10 across the same four strings. Again, make sure every note sounds "beautiful", with no accidental muting, and that all four notes ring out properly.

Next, swap around the outer two fingers, so you're playing 10-9-8-7 across the same four strings, the same way again.

Then swap around the middle fingers again, so you're playing 10-8-9-7.

So, to recap, across the E-A-D-G strings, that's:

7-8-9-10
7-9-8-10
10-9-8-7
10-8-9-7

Now move the whole thing down a string to the A-D-G-B strings and repeat.

Then move the whole thing down a string again to the D-G-B-E strings and repeat.

I'll play this a few times until I can feel my hand muscles starting to warm up, then rub the middle of my palm for a few seconds for relief, then start the whole thing again from the E-A-D-G strings again, but this time with a 1-fret gap introduced:

7-9-10-11
7-10-9-11
11-10-9-7
11-9-10-7

...repeating on the A-D-G-B strings, repeating on the D-G-B-E strings...

And then move the gap:
7-8-10-11
7-10-8-11
11-10-8-7
11-9-10-7

...again repeating on the A-D-G-B and D-G-B-E strings...

And then move the gap again:
7-8-9-11
7-9-8-11
11-9-8-7
11-8-9-7

After a bit more palm-rubbing I'll do the whole thing again but with TWO 1-fret gaps...

7-9-11-12
7-11-9-12
12-11-9-7
12-9-11-7

...repeat on the A-D-G-B and D-G-B-E strings then move the gap...

7-9-10-12
7-10-9-12
12-10-9-7
12-9-10-7

...repeat on the A-D-G-B and D-G-B-E strings then move the gap...

7-8-10-12
7-10-8-12
12-10-8-7
12-8-10-7

More palm rubbing.

Finally, usually with great pain at this point, repeat the pattern one last time, with THREE 1-fret gaps:

7-9-11-13
7-11-9-13
13-11-9-7
13-9-11-7

.....and relax, go make a cup of tea, cradle the aching/burning hand for ten minutes or so before starting on my co-ordination exercises (the also-boring 1234 up the neck and diagonally across the strings exercises that I think I've shown you before). Then onto scales. (I usually do the 7 modes of the major scale as 3-notes-per-string exercises. If I'm feeling brave I might do 4-notes-then-3-notes-per-string so that I cover 3 whole octaves across the 6 strings.)
:lol: I'm bored reading it!

It's one of those that's much easier to show someone in person than to describe on a forum, tbh. :lol:

Feels amazing on the hands though. It'll have your fretting hand feeling like it's going to fall off. (In a good way). :lol:
I need to branch out in terms of scales etc. And some new licks

I need to branch out in terms of scales etc. And some new licks

Warmup exercises aren't supposed to be exciting, like. You're effectively "limbering up" instead of jumping straight into the more fun side of your practice regime. It gets the fingers prepared for whatever you want to throw at them when you start on the scales, jamming, and learning sides of our practice schedule.

Warmup exercises aren't supposed to be exciting, like. You're effectively "limbering up" instead of jumping straight into the more fun side of your practice regime. It gets the fingers prepared for whatever you want to throw at them when you start on the scales, jamming, and learning sides of our practice schedule.
I kna. I just wanna get into summit a bit meatier in terms of actual playing.

Have a look at this one.

Seriously considering getting him one of these. Loads of positive comments and the only negative I can see is that there's no tuner which is nowt really.
Cheaper than guitarguitar if you get it from Thomann as well.£873 seems very good value for what you get.
Cracking shout mate.
May go and have a look locally and see how it feels in the hand before pulling the trigger.
Looks to me like you're getting more bang for your buck then if you spend similar money on a Martin.

Seriously considering getting him one of these. Loads of positive comments and the only negative I can see is that there's no tuner which is nowt really.
Cheaper than guitarguitar if you get it from Thomann as well.£873 seems very good value for what you get.
Cracking shout mate.
May go and have a look locally and see how it feels in the hand before pulling the trigger.
Looks to me like you're getting more bang for your buck then if you spend similar money on a Martin.
It has got a built in tuner mate - I play that guitar. Mines a few years old so maybe they have put new electronics on them.

For live work I always use a floor mounted tuner anyway. If I’m playing acoustic I use a TREX Acoustic Soulmate which has everything I need.

It has got a built in tuner mate - I play that guitar. Mines a few years old so maybe they have put new electronics on them.

For live work I always use a floor mounted tuner anyway. If I’m playing acoustic I use a TREX Acoustic Soulmate which has everything I need.
Heard reviewers saying that it doesn't come with a tuner. 🤔

Is this the exact same one that you linked mate?

It looks the same to me but I might be missing something?

Cracking shout mate.
I had the rosewood version of that years ago (AC3R) and it had a tuner built in. Very nice sounding guitar and decent sound when plugged in, which is definitely not always the case (especially with piezo pickup's). You have to remember when comparing with the likes of Martin's, as well as comparing build quality you are comparing historic branding (which comes into play if you end up selling it). You will generally always take a hit on the price you pay (even for a Martin) but the price will hold up better and increase in value at some point. I have Martin's these days and I would say the main things I notice compared to an Eastern manufacturer is the finer points on the build quality and usually the weight of the guitar. I noticed with Eastman (a highly regarded Chinese manufacturer) - it looked great and sounded good but it was so much heavier than the equivalent Martin. I tried an Alvarez OM which looked like a Martin 000-18 and it seemed fine until I looked a little closer and started spotting a lot of glue (small points but it's the finer details really which make a guitar worth more I think).

Anyway, if you liked the FG-180 then you may like the FG5 (or FGX5 if you want electronics) - a Japanese made modern red-label dreadnought which is paying homage to those older 60/70's red label. I've heard very good things about them. I nearly went for an FGX5 but then I saw the size of the board carrying the circuitry for the electronics and it put me off as I like minimal on an acoustic (I have a K&K Mini Pure pickup waiting to be installed in one of mine which I've had in another years ago and is not bad for a piezo). There is also a smaller bodied FS5 (and FSX5) or cheaper Chinese versions (FG3/FS3).

I'd personally go second hand rather than new and try and pickup something via Reverb or eBay (also some OK Facebook groups selling guitars as long as you're careful on who you buy from). Those FG5's seem pretty scarce which probably indicates they are good and people are not selling!

Last edited:
I had the rosewood version of that years ago (AC3R) and it had a tuner built in. Very nice sounding guitar and decent sound when plugged in, which is definitely not always the case (especially with piezo pickup's). You have to remember when comparing with the likes of Martin's, as well as comparing build quality you are comparing historic branding (which comes into play if you end up selling it). You will generally always take a hit on the price you pay (even for a Martin) but the price will hold up better and increase in value at some point. I have Martin's these days and I would say the main things I notice compared to an Eastern manufacturer is the finer points on the build quality and usually the weight of the guitar. I noticed with Eastman (a highly regarded Chinese manufacturer) - it looked great and sounded good but it was so much heavier than the equivalent Martin. I tried an Alvarez OM which looked like a Martin 000-18 and it seemed fine until I looked a little closer and started spotting a lot of glue (small points but it's the finer details really which make a guitar worth more I think).

Anyway, if you liked the FG-180 then you may like the FG5 (or FGX5 if you want electronics) - a Japanese made modern red-label dreadnought which is paying homage to those older 60/70's red label. I've heard very good things about them. I nearly went for an FGX5 but then I saw the size of the board carrying the circuitry for the electronics and it put me off as I like minimal on an acoustic (I have a K&K Mini Pure pickup waiting to be installed in one of mine which I've had in another years ago and is not bad for a piezo). There is also a smaller bodied FS5 (and FSX5) or cheaper Chinese versions (FG3/FS3).

I'd personally go second hand rather than new and try and pickup something via Reverb or eBay (also some OK Facebook groups selling guitars as long as you're careful on who you buy from). Those FG5's seem pretty scarce which probably indicates they are good and people are not selling!
Thanks for that mate.
The tuner isn't really a consideration in the big scheme of things.
I'm just wondering why guitarguitar have what looks like the same guitar for £1099 when Thomann have it a couple of hundred pound cheaper. They must be different versions of the same guitar 🤔

Thanks for that mate.
I'm just wondering why guitarguitar have what looks like the same guitar for £1099 when Thomann have it a couple of hundred pound cheaper. They must be different versions of the same guitar 🤔
Check the specs mate some are Rosewood back and sides some are mahogany

The designation is AC3R for rosewood and AC3M for mahogany

Thanks for that mate.
It'll be the same model (I noticed it mentioned tuner on the GG specs). Thomann are often cheaper - they are a massive European (German?) company so must buy in massive bulk quantities. I've bought from them in the past (before we left the EU) and it was all good. Go and try it in GG (check they have it in stock at the branch you go to - they will order it in for you if not for a £50 deposit and refund no quibbles). GG only price match UK authorised sellers of the brand so no chance of them matching Thomann unfortunately.

Back