Guitar Gear Thread. Your new, next or future guitars, amps, FX etc.

fyl2u

Striker
What guitar gear have you just bought or are thinking about buying, whether imminently, at some point in the future, or "if I win the lottery"?

I'm thinking about getting an Ibanez RGA42HP-SFM for my next guitar:

Logon or register to see this image

Not a big fan of the colour (it only comes in Sea Foam Green with gold hardware), and I hadn't been planning to buy another Ibanez six-string (I already have five of them) but when I heard the sound of it on the YouTube demo, I just fell in love with the tone and versatility of it.

At first I thought it was just the covered DiMarzio Fusion Edge pickups giving it the amazing tones, but I checked out similar videos for other guitars with the same pickups and none of the others can quite do it, so I think it must be a combination of those pickups, the nyatoh body, roasted maple neck, jatoba fretboard, and fixed bridge that give it that unique sound. Even the RGA42 with all the same woods but with the Floyd-Rose trem system instead of the fixed bridge doesn't quite sound the same.

Other definite future purchases for me include:

- a new multi-FX unit / modeller but I haven't yet decided which of the current "big three" I'm going to go for. Possibly leaning towards the Line6 Helix Rack, but I'd like to try out the Fractal Audio Axe-FX III as well. Anyone got either of these or tried them both out?
- a multi-scale fanned-fret 8-string guitar. Haven't come close to deciding which one yet though. Possibly a Mayones, maybe a Schecter, maybe an old Ibanez RG8, or might start with one of the cheap "own brand" ones from one of the big gear distributors (they all seem to have their own budget guitar brands now) to get used to playing an 8-string before splashing out on a good one.
- at least one Gibson Les Paul, maybe two. (I want one with Burstbuckers, but I also want one with P90s, so I guess I'll just have to buy one of each).
- at some point in the distant future I'd like at least one "proper" PRS (and by "proper" I mean "not an SE") but it's way down the list of priorities right now.

I'm also thinking of selling my Marshall JCM2000 Triple Super Lead 60-watt 2x12 combo amp and starting a head/cab collection, but I haven't even really started thinking about what head and cab I'd buy first, I've just listened to a handful of YouTube vids. If you'd asked me at any time in the pat 20 years up until about a year ago, I would have said a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier or Dual Rectifier, but tastes change and now that I've seen all the competition from not only other big manufacturers but boutique brands as well, I'm not so sure anymore. Might be a little too METAL for my current tastes anyway.

So, haway folks, what guitars, amps, effects units, pedals, pickups, etc. are you looking at buying or simply just drooling over at the moment?

Also, any of the rest of you getting constant guitar adverts when you're on the SMB? @Roger must love me, I click through the adverts on this site about a hundred times a day to look at music gear. :lol:

Last edited:

What guitar gear have you just bought or are thinking about buying, whether imminently, at some point in the future, or "if I win the lottery"?

I'm thinking about getting an Ibanez RGA42HP-SFM for my next guitar:

Not a big fan of the colour (it only comes in Sea Foam Green with gold hardware), and I hadn't been planning to buy another Ibanez six-string (I already have five of them) but when I heard the sound of it on the YouTube demo, I just fell in love with the tone and versatility of it.

At first I thought it was just the covered DiMarzio Fusion Edge pickups giving it the amazing tones, but I checked out similar videos for other guitars with the same pickups and none of the others can quite do it, so I think it must be a combination of those pickups, the nyatoh body, roasted maple neck, jatoba fretboard, and fixed bridge that give it that unique sound.

Other definite future purchases for me include:

- a new multi-FX unit / modeller but I haven't yet decided which of the current "big three" I'm going to go for. Possibly leaning towards the Line6 Helix Rack, but I'd like to try out the Fractal Audio Axe-FX III as well. Anyone got either of these or tried them both out?
- a multi-scale fanned-fret 8-string guitar. Haven't come close to deciding which one yet though. Possibly a Mayones, maybe a Schecter, maybe an old Ibanez RG8, or might start with one of the cheap "own brand" ones from one of the big gear distributors (they all seem to have their own budget guitar brands now) to get used to playing an 8-string before splashing out on a good one.
- at least one Gibson Les Paul, maybe two. (I want one with Burstbuckers, but I also want one with P90s, so I guess I'll just have to buy one of each).
- at some point in the distant future I'd like at least one "proper" PRS (and by "proper" I mean "not an SE") but it's way down the list of priorities right now.

I'm also thinking of selling my Marshall JCM2000 Triple Super Lead 60-watt 2x12 combo amp and starting a head/cab collection, but I haven't even really started thinking about what head and cab I'd buy first, I've just listened to a handful of YouTube vids. If you'd asked me at any time in the pat 20 years up until about a year ago, I would have said a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier or Dual Rectifier, but tastes change and now that I've seen all the competition from not only other big manufacturers but boutique brands as well, I'm not so sure anymore. Might be a little too METAL for my current tastes anyway.

So, haway folks, what guitars, amps, effects units, pedals, pickups, etc. are you looking at buying or simply just drooling over at the moment?

Also, any of the rest of you getting constant guitar adverts when you're on the SMB? @Roger must love me, I click through the adverts on this site about a hundred times a day to look at music gear. :lol:
I get Reverb ads and cannot resist looking.

My dream is finding a (cheap) Dumble. It’s a dream, I know it will Never happen.

Ahhh forgot about them I get them too. Never bought from Gear4 but have bought from reverb. I don’t recall seeing peach guitars.

Cue advert any second ……….

What was your experience like, buying from Reverb?

I like looking at the pictures from there, but it's just a portal for folks to sell their second hand gear isn't it? Or a meringue?

I'm not sure I like the idea of buying a guitar/amp/FX unit second hand over the internet without seeing it and hearing it in person first. Brand new stuff from big retailers, that's different. I've bought a bunch of stuff in the past from the likes of Andertons no problem.

What was your experience like, buying from Reverb?

I like looking at the pictures from there, but it's just a portal for folks to sell their second hand gear isn't it? Or a meringue?

I'm not sure I like the idea of buying a guitar/amp/FX unit second hand over the internet without seeing it and hearing it in person first. Brand new stuff from big retailers, that's different. I've bought a bunch of stuff in the past from the likes of Andertons no problem.
I bought an effects pedal but it was quite a while ago.

As you say not trying it was a mistake. I usually buy from Guitarguitar or PMT and I like to try them first. I only buy new gear these days nothing second hand.

it’s stupid really as I have a house full of guitars and a number in the loft. Loads are in flight cases and don’t get played. Same goes for pedals I have two boards I never use but I cant bear the thought of selling them.

At the moment there is nothing electric, acoustic, effects or amps that I want.

I’ve even got a bag full of straps that I don’t use as I have one favourite I have had for years and new ones just don’t feel right.

saving up for a fender jaguar or jazz master, either one in a sun burst

My last non-selfbuild or resto guitar was one of the Fender player ones (HH instead of SS). Long story as its took a lot of fettling to get it playable, but I wish I'd saved up for one of the new American Vintage ones just released 🥲

Bits wise I've got some Fender tuners coming this afternoon which will be going on my tele partscaster along with its new neck. I hope like hell I've screwed it on straight :lol: It was measured about 20 times before it was drilled.

I bought an effects pedal but it was quite a while ago.

As you say not trying it was a mistake. I usually buy from Guitarguitar or PMT and I like to try them first. I only buy new gear these days nothing second hand.

it’s stupid really as I have a house full of guitars and a number in the loft. Loads are in flight cases and don’t get played. Same goes for pedals I have two boards I never use but I cant bear the thought of selling them.

At the moment there is nothing electric, acoustic, effects or amps that I want.

I’ve even got a bag full of straps that I don’t use as I have one favourite I have had for years and new ones just don’t feel right.

In the LOFT?!!! 😣 That makes me sad.

I do confess, until recently I did keep a couple of mine in flight cases, and they'd just sit there unplayed for ages. A few months back though, I bought myself a multi-guitar stand big enough for all 10 of my current guitars, and it's amazing the difference; I actually pick guitars up regularly that had just been sitting in their cases for ages when they're right in front on me on the stand. Best £35 I ever spent, that stand.

1960s East German Musima parlour guitar, hugely in need of a neck reset, tailpiece, new zero fret, floating bridge and saddle, fret dressing and nut.

All the above done bar the neck reset but I simply can't be fucked so I've just sanded the the bridge right down in the meantime... Which means I'm midway through making my own rigid tailpiece to increase the string break angle.
Hopefully get it finished on Sunday if I stop bloody procrastinating...
Just a cheap guitar from the time but it has a fascinating sound, like a cross between a mandolin and a cigar box guitar...

Edit: The fretboard had dried out and cupped too so I brought it back with a few doses of oil over a few days then did a little sanding in lieu of a full refret and fretboard dressing. I'll whack a finished picture up if I ever get around to bending some steel.

Last edited:
In the LOFT?!!! 😣 That makes me sad.

I do confess, until recently I did keep a couple of mine in flight cases, and they'd just sit there unplayed for ages. A few months back though, I bought myself a multi-guitar stand big enough for all 10 of my current guitars, and it's amazing the difference; I actually pick guitars up regularly that had just been sitting in their cases for ages when they're right in front on me on the stand. Best £35 I ever spent, that stand.
I have a 1978 Strat and a Jazz bass in cases in the loft along with other various electrics and acoustics.

it’s crazy and I should sell them but I have had them so long I just can’t bear the thought of losing them.

I did think about getting a load of them together and flogging them to get a master built Fender but again that takes us back to the issue of “buying before trying” assuming the master built was going to not be an off the guitar shop racks but spec’ing almost everything.

Even just the neck carve would be a risk and might mean compromising.
Partcaster that a lad at work put together for me because I wouldn’t have a clue where to start

Seymour Duncan quarter pounders
Gotoh bridge and tuners
Northwest guitars body
Mexican tele style neck Pau Ferro fretboard
Loaded control plate from tinytone in manchester

That looks really nice and the finish looks superb.

the neck looks a beast (wide). Do you have dimensions at the nut ?

Last edited:
Not sure if slightly off topic but I got the bairn a cheap half size electric for christmas. Second hand Acoustic Solutions thing, really a piece of crap that had sat at the back of some bloke's cupboard. I cleaned it up, new strings and bits and pieces, just to see if the boy was interested really, but it never sounded quite right.

He's got into it and I picked up a cheap Marshall amp for him to practice on cos he started proper lessons, but the guitar would never quite tune up right. Took it down Riff Raff guitars in town and the bloke there sorted it out topper. I've never bothered having mine set up properly and I've never used Riff Raff so I don't know what kind of reputation they have, but for what it is it sounds great, like a new guitar compared to what it was.

Last edited:
Status series 2 bass under my bed not played since before pandemic, 6 string ovation 'leaf' and a Hohner acoustic bass. Trace Elliott 15" combo.

That looks really nice and the finish looks superb.

the neck looks a beast (wide). Do you have dimensions at the nut ?
Got it from Thomann, it doesn’t feel too bad tbh

The only ready made, branded electric guitar I'd fork out for is probably an old SG1000, but I'd spunk thousands on bodies, necks and pickups.

Although having said that, I reckon I'd also be looking at a few top end acoustics and resonators.

The only ready made, branded electric guitar I'd fork out for is probably an old SG1000, but I'd spunk thousands on bodies, necks and pickups.

Although having said that, I reckon I'd also be looking at a few top end acoustics and resonators.

I've toyed with the idea of building from parts, but branded guitars are so good nowadays that whenever I'm looking into parts I just end up adding more branded guitars to my future shopping list.

I've got a handful of guitars that I want to upgrade the pickups on, one that could do with a replacement neck, a roundback that needs a new EQ/battery compartment, etc. but I think if I was going to spend £500+ on parts to build a guitar, I'd rather pay a bit more and get a branded one that's been assembled/wired/painted/stained/set up/QA'd by folks that do it every day for a living.

Once you get into the "spunk thousands" territory, there are SO many ways I'd rather spend the money than building a guitar myself. With lottery-win amounts of cash, I'd be organising a visit to a top-end manufacturer's custom shop (maybe Ibanez, maybe PRS, maybe Mayones, maybe...) and getting them to build me a "signature model". :D
A Positive Grid Smart Amp is on my bucket list when I work less hours and play my guitars more.

I'd never heard of these until your post. Looks like an amazing little practice/learning tool, like!

Last edited:

Back