Guitar Gear Thread. Your new, next or future guitars, amps, FX etc.

Enjoy! Pics?
Cheers!

Was worried as seller hadn't sold before and it seemed cheap. Condition is pretty much mint as described so happy with that price. It had a little bit of fret buzz higher up the neck - there was little relief in the neck so I adjusted that and it's much better. The action is low so I think the bridge could do with raising slightly but I'm happy with it now.

Cheers!

Was worried as seller hadn't sold before and it seemed cheap. Condition is pretty much mint as described so happy with that price. It had a little bit of fret buzz higher up the neck - there was little relief in the neck so I adjusted that and it's much better. The action is low so I think the bridge could do with raising slightly but I'm happy with it now.
That’s gorgeous mate, congrats! 👏🏼

Sounds like a new saddle might be in order, not a big deal!

That’s gorgeous mate, congrats! 👏🏼

Sounds like a new saddle might be in order, not a big deal!
Cheers mate. Strangely it has a new tusq saddle (it's bone fitted) and a shim in the case so something's gone on with this before I think. I think it's fine as it is now (the intonation is dead on across all 6 strings which I've not had before on any acoustic - normally one string is a little off!). It's only when striking the low E hard is there any hint of a buzz now. I'll see how it goes and I can always fit a new bridge if it starts annoying me!

Bloody hell. Dream guitar that. Did you get a good price ?
I think so - £2200. I'd been trying to get someone selling a 000-28 down from £3000 to £2700 but he wouldn't drop below £2900 (due to the fees). Glad he didn't now as this came up and I didn't even barter - offered the asking price! I am thinking of shifting a few myself now as this really feels like it will be the main one I'll pick up now.

Cheers mate. Strangely it has a new tusq saddle (it's bone fitted) and a shim in the case so something's gone on with this before I think. I think it's fine as it is now (the intonation is dead on across all 6 strings which I've not had before on any acoustic - normally one string is a little off!). It's only when striking the low E hard is there any hint of a buzz now. I'll see how it goes and I can always fit a new bridge if it starts annoying me!
Interesting that there’s a shim in there! Sounds like somebody overshot on a prior setup. Measure it at the 12th, if it’s low I’d just hoy a new bone one in.

Interesting that there’s a shim in there! Sounds like somebody overshot on a prior setup. Measure it at the 12th, if it’s low I’d just hoy a new bone one in.
I'd have to get a guitar tech to do it I think - I do a lot of my own basic stuff but would worry about the shaping of the top of the nut for the intonation etc. I think the low E action at 12th fret is between 1.5mm and 1.75mm and the high E is 1.0mm to 1.25mm. That's the lowest of any acoustic I have (usually a minimum of 2.0mm and 1.5mm respectively). Like I say, there's pretty much no buzz at all now, you have to hit hard and listen for it - I'll change the strings and see how it goes for a while before doing anything. Thanks for the input!

I'd have to get a guitar tech to do it I think - I do a lot of my own basic stuff but would worry about the shaping of the top of the nut for the intonation etc. I think the low E action at 12th fret is between 1.5mm and 1.75mm and the high E is 1.0mm to 1.25mm. That's the lowest of any acoustic I have (usually a minimum of 2.0mm and 1.5mm respectively). Like I say, there's pretty much no buzz at all now, you have to hit hard and listen for it - I'll change the strings and see how it goes for a while before doing anything. Thanks for the input!
Sounds very low to me mate, I’d have it in for a new one. Will only sound better with a higher saddle 👍🏻

I’d love a proper old mustang. Played a few and they’ve all had that little bit of magic hiding in there.

My dream would be a 30’s 000-28 (fat chance)

I reckon there’s a correction coming to the vintage market soon tho..

Doubt it, price will continue to rise unless the housing market crashes I reckon.
70’s gear about to start going for daft money too… (helped by the incoming 71 double neck jimmy page reissue by Gibson which will probably be priced 50k-100k)
Annoying mind as a few year ago ya could get a 60’s jaguar for 3-4K, I checked reverb earlier after seeing someone on here wanting a mustang and there’s a few 65 jags priced around 15k. Whee’s fecking buying them 🤣

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good/big guitar shop. My daughters really getting into it and wants to go and pick a birthday present. Don't mind a drive...

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good/big guitar shop. My daughters really getting into it and wants to go and pick a birthday present. Don't mind a drive...

If you want to make a day of it I’d suggest going to gear4music(absolutely massive place) in York and Wildwire guitars(bought a couple guitars from these lads) in selby, both within half hour drive of each other.

Does anyone know a good guide or technique for learning how to embellish (if that is the right word!) your basic open chords?

I heard a really nice acoustic version of Stand By Me in a pub the other day, and that is really simple (G G Em Em C D G G- repeat). I got home and picked it up straight away, but I want it to sound more interesting.

When you watch various tuition videos for other songs, people like Justin Guitar often say, "and you can embellish the G by just adding your little finger here", or sometimes it is just taking a finger off and hammering it back on.

There are clearly rules to what works and what doesn't, but what is the best way to learn about those?

Does anyone know a good guide or technique for learning how to embellish (if that is the right word!) your basic open chords?

I heard a really nice acoustic version of Stand By Me in a pub the other day, and that is really simple (G G Em Em C D G G- repeat). I got home and picked it up straight away, but I want it to sound more interesting.

When you watch various tuition videos for other songs, people like Justin Guitar often say, "and you can embellish the G by just adding your little finger here", or sometimes it is just taking a finger off and hammering it back on.

There are clearly rules to what works and what doesn't, but what is the best way to learn about those?
Suspended chords. Sus2, and sus4 especially.

A..x02220 Asus2.. x02200 Asus4...x02230

D...xx0232 Dsus2... xx0230 Dsus4.. xx0234

I particularly like open Gadd4 (or what ever it's called.... 3x2013.... You hammer on the 201 bit from the G major shape. Think along the lines of the Wild Horses intro. It's like an Am7 within a G. I think this is probably the G more you're on about in the 3rd line there. I hoy it in there all the time.

I like to hammer on the F note on the D string when playing a C chord anarl. That's an add4 anarl. So C... x32010 Cadd4 x33010.

Last edited:
I might get shot with shit for this, but you could play that using the Beatles/Oasis chords, with your ring finger on the B string and your pinky on the high E, both on third fret. Or you could hit the lead root note with your thumb, then hitting the other strings on the upstroke? I just tried it and both work. Also for for the little run down from the G note to the open E hit the F# on the way down for your little dum dum dum.

Back