Guardian Football Weekly - Scottish Expert Ewan Murray

Gerrard was a success at Rangers, Ange was a success at Celtic. Beale was a disaster at Rangers. Clement has come in with the same group of players and has challenging for the treble. If we had of done our homework on Beale it would show how disappointing his time at Rangers was.

But what has he done as a coach? He had a decent 5 months at QPR. Other than that his CV isn't that great.

A disaster is massively OTT mind.

Is this Ewan Murray the Guardian golf correspondent?

I really don’t care what people think of Beale but this lads opinion is as valid as
most on here.

Last edited:
It seems Ewan Murray doesn’t seem to take notice of English clubs either, Beale was cheap and out of work it’s exactly the type of appointment we’d make

I'd say thats bollocks, Gerrard to Villa, Ange to Spurs for example
He's a pretty shit journalist whenever I've heard him this just confirms it

This is no defence of Beale who I think is a pretty shit manger btw
Gerrard’s stock was sky high when he was poached by Villa. Rangers had just won the league by 25 points without losing a league game whilst doing it. Ange’s stock was sky high when he was poached by Spurs. Celtic had won 5 of the 6 domestic trophies available whilst he was there. Beale’s stock was basement low when he was plucked from the scrap heap by Sunderland. He was sacked by Rangers after just 10 months in charge. There is literally no world in which Beale’s record in Scottish football should be considered in the same manner as Gerrard’s or Ange’s.

As big as we are as a fanbase we are a still a championship team without parachute payments.

Beale had a premier league offer in late 2022. In late 2023 people are surprised he's being offered a championship job.

Whilst I wouldn't have given him our head coaches job, I don't think it's hugely surprising like he's suggesting.
That Premiership club really dodged a bullet . Unfortunately the ricochet hit us right between the eyes .

I don't agree with that notion If you are unsuccessful it should automatically rule you out of another job. Players and managers can have bad times and bounce back. When recruiting you have to look at the bigger picture and make a holistic decision.

Not saying we should have hired him, I'm talking in general.

That fine if they had several successful jobs in the past and there is a one off bad match.

He left QPR is the clarts after 9 games and was unpopular at Rangers.

Ive been one of those saying we must give him a cgance until the summer as a minimum.

But we shouldnt have hired him in the first place.

Gerrard’s stock was sky high when he was poached by Villa. Rangers had just won the league by 25 points without losing a league game whilst doing it. Ange’s stock was sky high when he was poached by Spurs. Celtic had won 5 of the 6 domestic trophies available whilst he was there. Beale’s stock was basement low when he was plucked from the scrap heap by Sunderland. He was sacked by Rangers after just 10 months in charge. There is literally no world in which Beale’s record in Scottish football should be considered in the same manner as Gerrard’s or Ange’s.
Not argueing with anything you say, I'm only commenting on Ewan Murray was talking out of his arse

Trust me, I'm not upset. I'm reading threads full of negativity from people with no light in their lives, torturing themselves by searching out shit things to say about our club and manager. Its definitely not me who is upset 👍
Probably not a lot of searching involved if they listen to Football Weekly and it is discussed.
A golf correspondent 😂
Who also oversees coverage of Scottish football.

Last edited:
He said Bealo left Rangers in a mess and Clemont had sorted them out
They’ve already won a cup under him and look like they could beat Brenda to the title
Not sure what he’s said that is inaccurate

Back