Guardian Football Weekly - Scottish Expert Ewan Murray

I don't agree with that notion If you are unsuccessful it should automatically rule you out of another job. Players and managers can have bad times and bounce back. When recruiting you have to look at the bigger picture and make a holistic decision.

Not saying we should have hired him, I'm talking in general.
Not sure he’s saying that…think he’s expressing surprise that Beale got another biggish job.

If you fail then it probably follows that you have to set your sights lower

Not sure he’s saying that…think he’s expressing surprise that Beale got another biggish job.

If you fail then it probably follows that you have to set your sights lower
As big as we are as a fanbase we are a still a championship team without parachute payments.

Beale had a premier league offer in late 2022. In late 2023 people are surprised he's being offered a championship job.

Whilst I wouldn't have given him our head coaches job, I don't think it's hugely surprising like he's suggesting.

Says he was very surprised Beale got the Sunderland job. Finds his career tracejtory astonishing and said English clubs don't pay much attention to what happens in Scotland as they would not hire Michael Beale if they did.
I'd say thats bollocks, Gerrard to Villa, Ange to Spurs for example
He's a pretty shit journalist whenever I've heard him this just confirms it

This is no defence of Beale who I think is a pretty shit manger btw

As big as we are as a fanbase we are a still a championship team without parachute payments.

Beale had a premier league offer in late 2022. In late 2023 people are surprised he's being offered a championship job.

Whilst I wouldn't have given him our head coaches job, I don't think it's hugely surprising like he's suggesting.
There are different viewpoints of how much of an offer it was

He had a prem offer then a SPL failure. Next stop should have been League 1 or 2

He had a prem offer then a SPL failure. Next stop should have been League 1 or 2
Nah not for me. We know what league one is like, it's the footballing abyss. League one is his next stop when he likely fails here.

But I think championship level was fair and reasonable for his first move after rangers, given what he'd done as a coach, time at QPR and his reputation prior to Rangers. Just wish it wasn't with us.

I'd say thats bollocks, Gerrard to Villa, Ange to Spurs for example
He's a pretty shit journalist whenever I've heard him this just confirms it

This is no defence of Beale who I think is a pretty shit manger btw
Gerrard was a success at Rangers, Ange was a success at Celtic. Beale was a disaster at Rangers. Clement has come in with the same group of players and has challenging for the treble. If we had of done our homework on Beale it would show how disappointing his time at Rangers was.
Nah not for me. We know what league one is like, it's the footballing abyss. League one is his next stop when he likely fails here.

But I think championship level was fair and reasonable for his first move after rangers, given what he'd done as a coach, time at QPR and his reputation prior to Rangers. Just wish it wasn't with us.
But what has he done as a coach? He had a decent 5 months at QPR. Other than that his CV isn't that great.

Last edited:
Forget the size of the club etc
The pool of managers we were selecting from was not those of high ceiling
Small wage budget, can’t bring your own staff, no real say in transfers with a very specific model with minimal flexibility which a lot of managers wouldn’t agree to
Your then left with managers like Beale, out of work desperate to get back in who’ll accept most conditions just to get back in
I won’t blame Beale if it goes tits up I think blame should lie at hands of decision makers

Gerrard was a success at Rangers, Ange was a success at Celtic. Beale was a disaster at Rangers. Clement has come in with the same group of players and has challenging for the treble. If we had of done our homework on Beale it would show how disappointing his time at Rangers was.

But what has he done as a coach? He had a decent 5 months at QPR. Other than that his CV isn't that great.

That's all he's got to put on the table as a positive as a head coach. But as a coach he was highly rated, that's why he got the head coach gig at QPR and why he got premier league interest so quickly.

I'd never have given him the Sunderland job. I'd have wanted to see more at championship level. But IMO it's not a surprise he's been given a championship job

Is that Ewan Murray the Sky golf commentator or another one? Guess it doesn't matter really! Just doubt the golf gadgie has the time to pontificate on jocko footy

Back