Greggs £300 staff bonus

Should a company as big as greggs that is doing so well it can hand 7 million in bonuses out not be paying their workers a decent wage that would prevent the need for them to claim universal credit?
Well they've expanded beyond belief making thousands of job as they go
If you want to slate them for that fair enough
At shop level there's not a massive sweep of job roles and they'll pay the going rate
I'm sure in other areas,head office ,logistics ,manufacture etc they are competitive
As mentioned before the UC people quite like these under the threshold jobs
I have lads don't want extra hours

Without doubt. Just annoys me that the state will take a £300 bonus back from someone at the very bottom of the income scale, but bonuses to those at the top can avoid tax as they have the means.

It stinks mate, I've been told my half yearly bonus at the end of this month is £550 which is great but I'll lose a canny bit of this back to the taxman. I think it's staggering how much extra you must pay, I know it's the rules but...meh

I have mixed feelings. Universal Credit is there for a reason and it already tops income so you could argue they've already received that bonus, so maybe it is right that the money is diverted to other worthy causes. On the other hand it is a bit of a kick in the stones that their work deem them deserving of a bonus but they won't see any increment.
They will see an increment.

I know three lads on UC and they have FT available to them, but they prefer to work the (I think) 16hrs max, take the UC, and do bits of cash in hand. The choice shouldn’t be there if permanent FT is on the table and they are fit enough to do it, imo.

Not true, if you're a single parent with a child under 3 or 4 then you can do under 16 hours but it goes up as child gets older, once child is 13 you're expected to do 35 hours. You still have to do all the job searches and interviews and if you're turning down full time work you get sanctioned

Well they've expanded beyond belief making thousands of job as they go
If you want to slate them for that fair enough
At shop level there's not a massive sweep of job roles and they'll pay the going rate
I'm sure in other areas,head office ,logistics ,manufacture etc they are competitive
As mentioned before the UC people quite like these under the threshold jobs
I have lads don't want extra hours
Not blaming greggs they're just taking advantage of the system, I'm sure tesco we're slated for similar after announcing record profits a while ago.
People turning available work down because they are better off on benefits shows the system doesn't work.

I thought UC took over jobseekers?

I take it this will only affect part time workers who also claim at same time.
It has replaced pretty much all benefits, including working benefits. There will be families on excess of £40k in receipt of universal credit.
I know three lads on UC and they have FT available to them, but they prefer to work the (I think) 16hrs max, take the UC, and do bits of cash in hand. The choice shouldn’t be there if permanent FT is on the table and they are fit enough to do it, imo.
There is no maximum.

Last edited:
Is it right that if you are on UC you will have a portion of this bonus clawed back by the Govt?

It's money you will have had in the assessment period so yes.
Surely the whole point of any top up benefits be it UC or anything else is to top up people's wages if they don't have enough to live on in a given month, so if you have 300 more that month, you need less top up that month, unless I am missing something.

Last edited:
It has replaced pretty much all benefits, including working benefits. There will be families on excess of £40k in receipt of universal credit.

There is no maximum.
How does this work? My OH is on 17k and I'm on SMP (just over £450 a month) and we get nothing??

A £300 bonus to Greggs workers will be clawed back by the state, but bonuses of hundreds of thousands to bankers will be paid via shell companies in the f***ing Cayman Islands and the state won’t see a penny.

They not saying ha ha we taking your bonuses away you know, they have a system in place where earnings by a employe are reported and taken into account against any benefit as it’s a mean tested system, and Greggs will be reporting that certain people had extra earnings/income.

I’d rather pay them not to work and force Greggs to pay a wage someone can actually live on.
That’s what minimum wage is for and that’ll be why it’s going up pretty sharply in April which I’d hazard a guess will reduce the number of people on UC. Not a lot you can do about people who don’t work many hours tho.

If someone worked a full week on minimum wage am I right in thinking they wouldn’t quality for uc?

Depends on how many children you have and your housing situation.
I see , just seems so ridiculous people can be earning double what we do .
We have another now and I'm on a much lower wage atm so might be worth doing another calculation see if we do qualify now

Last edited:

Back