Greggs £300 staff bonus

Without doubt. Just annoys me that the state will take a £300 bonus back from someone at the very bottom of the income scale, but bonuses to those at the top can avoid tax as they have the means.

I have mixed feelings. Universal Credit is there for a reason and it already tops income so you could argue they've already received that bonus, so maybe it is right that the money is diverted to other worthy causes. On the other hand it is a bit of a kick in the stones that their work deem them deserving of a bonus but they won't see any increment.

I have mixed feelings. Universal Credit is there for a reason and it already tops income so you could argue they've already received that bonus, so maybe it is right that the money is diverted to other worthy causes. On the other hand it is a bit of a kick in the stones that their work deem them deserving of a bonus but they won't see any increment.

I see where you’re coming from re they’re already being paid, but the people who work hard for a relatively low wage, they do deserve it IMO.

Then again you can’t make an exception because some people would find a way to exploit it and ruin it for everyone.

Its a proper kick in the teeth though you’re right

It's the classic trap when giving means tested benefits. Marginal "tax" on any increase in earnings is massive.
Two solutions to the trap is universal basic income or no benefits at all.

Without doubt. Just annoys me that the state will take a £300 bonus back from someone at the very bottom of the income scale, but bonuses to those at the top can avoid tax as they have the means.
There's millions in the middle who have to suck it up though
I see 23 quid of my £50 bonus
UC will come from tax payers in theory

A cash bonus is taxed as well. That's why places give out vouchers. I can't see Gregg's buying in 19,000 Intu vouchers or wherever though.

Should a company as big as greggs that is doing so well it can hand 7 million in bonuses out not be paying their workers a decent wage that would prevent the need for them to claim universal credit?

Of course that's the real issue here. Companies are effectively being subsidised and can therefore pay lower wages.

Still, its what we voted for...

Could be worse. They could have gave the staff nothing. Some people are never happy.

they could have upped it to £300 to make sure the workers actually got a few quid in the pocket and keeps the cover net happy by paying tax.

I’d rather pay them not to work and force Greggs to pay a wage someone can actually live on.

Not as simple as that.

What someones need to live is entirely different on a person by person basis (kids etc.) and universal credit accounts for that.

Greggs or others could up their hourly rate but people working part time may still need state support.

Back