Greggs £300 staff bonus

You know what I mean. The wealthiest individuals have the financial means to engage in tax avoidance schemes to hide their wealth from the treasury.

Through whatever complex financial arrangement it is made isn’t relevant - what is relevant is that regular people can’t afford the accountants and solicitors needed to do this, but those in the top 0.5% can and do, to avoid paying their fair share to the rest of society.
I'm not even bothering with an accountant this year

I know it seems unfair to some that some will lose a lot of the 300, but isn’t that what the benefit system is for, it tops up their normal wages to an acceptable amount.
Anything over is taken into consideration and benefits amended accordingly.
The amount saved by the govt can then be spent elsewhere
Aye ,UC is a bonus every month ,I don't get it ,where's the article about me ?
You know what I mean. The wealthiest individuals have the financial means to engage in tax avoidance schemes to hide their wealth from the treasury.

Through whatever complex financial arrangement it is made isn’t relevant - what is relevant is that regular people can’t afford the accountants and solicitors needed to do this, but those in the top 0.5% can and do, to avoid paying their fair share to the rest of society.
They get the best advice ,yeah but anyone earning above 40 odd grand gets hammered on tax
It's a lot of people and we pay the tax
You seem to speak like it's either the greggs scenario or super rich tax avoiders it isn't

Last edited:

They get the best advice ,yeah but anyone earning above 40 odd grand gets hammered on tax
You seem to speak like it's either the greggs scenario or super rich tax avoiders it isn't
Pretty much it, No body particularly likes paying tax but we all do it, the fact that people get free top ups on their wages shouldn’t be an excuse not to claim less or pay less tax when they are able to do so from more earnings whether it be from a bonus or an increase in the min wage.

In the case of min wage rises as we will see soon, the uc claimants may not see much of any of the increase but it does allow them to be less reliant on the state, which is a good thing for the country as a whole, right?

Anyone on £40k or more gets 'hammered' on tax?

Someone earning £41k keeps 77% of their wage. Someone on £49k keeps 75%. Do you considered that hammered on tax? I don't.

Someone earning £41k keeps 77% of their wage. Someone on £49k keeps 75%. Do you considered that hammered on tax? I don't.

Marginal rate (tax/NI) for earnings over £50k is 42%.

In Scotland it is 53% between c£43k and £50k then 43% over £50k.

It's certainly a large chunk of incremental income (e.g. bonuses), although vast majority in that range should be able to afford it.

UC has nothing to do with Greggs. This situation is a demonstration of how crap the system is.

UC has nothing to do with Greggs. This situation is a demonstration of how crap the system is.
What’s UC?

Anything above 42 is taxed more but the first 42 is taxed the same no matter how much you earn.

Last edited:

The threshold for 40% tax crept up a bit
It was less than 40k
So if you land £300 bonus you see half if you're lucky after NI
You could do the % on overall earnings but we are talking bonus here
I see £23 of a £50 bonus and I'm on less than 40k
My company car figure bumps my perceived income up
There's millions of me's out there
Marginal rate (tax/NI) for earnings over £50k is 42%.

In Scotland it is 53% between c£43k and £50k then 43% over £50k.

It's certainly a large chunk of incremental income (e.g. bonuses), although vast majority in that range should be able to afford it.
Be able to afford what ? Getting half of your bonus taken away ?
You'll hit the daft rates drawing £600 a week
Hardly high flying

Last edited:
It was less than 40k

Hardly high flying

Essentially, yes.

I was talking in more general terms about bearing a higher tax burden. Ultimately a different way of phrasing the same thing though.

It was less than 40k

Hardly high flying

So you're probably on £35k a year, get bonuses, have a company car and you're complaining about it?

Essentially, yes.

I was talking in more general terms about bearing a higher tax burden. Ultimately a different way of phrasing the same thing though.
I'm cool with the earn more pay a bit more set up but the myth it's just high flyers who won't even notice is bollocks
As for greggs employees ,welcome to the world of doing a bit better
So you're probably on £35k a year, get bonuses, have a company car and you're complaining about it?
Not far off
No I'm not complaining ,I suck it up and pay the tax like everyone else week in week out
I'm telling you that's how it is for the majority of high tax payers
Your theory of them or us all avoiding it somehow is laughable
At 57 and never been on the dole I hardly see my position as enviable and you shouldn't either

Last edited:
I'm cool with the earn more pay a bit more set up but the myth it's just high flyers who won't even notice is bollocks
As for greggs employees ,welcome to the world of doing a bit better

Not far off
No I'm not complaining ,I suck it up and pay the tax like everyone else week in week out
I'm telling you that's how it is for the majority of high tax payers
Your theory of them or us all avoiding it somehow is laughable
At 57 and never been on the dole I hardly see my position as enviable and you shouldn't either

Im not sure if I’m misunderstanding you or you me, but I’m saying the top 0.5% are the massive tax dodgers. Not you.

Im not sure if I’m misunderstanding you or you me, but I’m saying the top 0.5% are the massive tax dodgers. Not you.
That's the thing though. Extremely wealthy people don't have income tax. They have cgt, divs etc which the government sets the bar for. Some of these mythical hedge fund bonuses etc are for a fact taxed at top rate if taken as a cash bonus. Some bonus is paid as stock so its different. Maybe greggs should hand out shares.

That's the thing though. Extremely wealthy people don't have income tax. They have cgt, divs etc which the government sets the bar for. Some of these mythical hedge fund bonuses etc are for a fact taxed at top rate if taken as a cash bonus. Some bonus is paid as stock so its different. Maybe greggs should hand out shares.

These bonuses are mythical?

Back