Greek Gyros

Bet there's been some serious googling going on for the subject of this thread.

They are superb washed down with a nice banana and apricot gin.
Its the Polish that make them near me.
I've been trying to learn Greek a couple of years now. A quick lesson.

Γύρος is the spelling in Greek First letter is gamma which is indeed a g sound. But the second letter is key. It's an ipsilon with an e sound. A few letters in Greek have this sound. If any of those letters follow a gamma the gamma is pronounced as a y. So Giros is pronounced yeeros or yiros.
Side note. Yeeros means turn.

Edit. Ive probably quoted wrong person :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Γύρος is the spelling in Greek First letter is gamma which is indeed a g sound. But the second letter is key. It's an ipsilon with an e sound. A few letters in Greek have this sound. If any of those letters follow a gamma the gamma is pronounced as a y. So Giros is pronounced yeeros or yiros.

Next time i see the Polish owner of Gyros and Kebab grill house in Blackburn, West Lothian, I'll ask him to pronounce it. I used to deliver for the last two Italian owners but due to work i can't do it for the new owners. Place is booming.

Funny that.
My Cypriot mates pronounce it the way I posted.
But hey ho- a slightly different dialect I imagine.
All sheep shaggers according to my Greek mates. :)

Next time i see the Polish owner of Gyros and Kebab grill house in Blackburn, West Lothian, I'll ask him to pronounce it. I used to deliver for the last two Italian owners but due to work i can't do it for the new owners. Place is booming.
The nationality might affect the pronunciation. Try asking a Greek person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad we cleared that fucker up once and for all.

:lol:
I'm right and everyone else including Cypriots are wrong. First thing i was taught learning Greek and seen 100s of people corrected on pronunciation.

dimi konstantopoulos‘s restaurant GR-eat in boro is lovely would highly recommend it if you have the misfortune of being down that way

have you checked the authenticity of your Greek tutor?

Back