Great North Run Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be there, starting in block C. Might cane it for the first ten minutes and try and catch Mo.

Never gonna happen

its my 1st gnr, been running the john reid road to marsden a few times but never after 8 mile, ran it after 4 mile the other day and never had a problem with keeping speed near 7.30 a mile pace, but think it may be different after 8 miles were i will be putting in a fair bit of effort.

Aye I'm in White F, not done anywhere near as much training as I should have done so would be elated to get under 2 hours.

First ever GNR.

I'm in pink J. Never ran a half marathon before, I have no confidence that I can complete it and will be elated if I finish before Monday morning :oops:

Desperate for a place if anyone has a spare/can't make it. Hoping for a freebie like but that's probably cheeky.

I'm in pink J. Never ran a half marathon before, I have no confidence that I can complete it and will be elated if I finish before Monday morning :oops:

You'll finish. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, that's all it boils down to.

I'm in K. Also never ran a marathon before as I mainly walked it lol. The atmosphere and crowds will keep you going so don't worry about not having the confidence you will pick that up along the way, and don't worry about others and how fast they're going, give yourself little targets to get through it and you will be fine and finished before you know it :)

Good Luck

I'm in Green section wherever that is. I've got a place through a girl at work, so running with a girls name on me top!

Zone H for me, first GNR in over 20 years. Was aiming to do it in under 2 hours,and with the training I've put in should easily do it. However I've picked up a foot injury which means I've had to cut down on the distances. Good luck to everyone entered,I'm sure we'll all get round.[DOUBLEPOST=1378197847][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm in Green section wherever that is. I've got a place through a girl at work, so running with a girls name on me top!
Wad![DOUBLEPOST=1378197887][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't be silly,you'll get round ,no problem.

Whats everybody's suggestions on actually getting to the start? Im running my first half marathon, starting in zone D (well hopefully anyway as have had to take a break from training due to my IT Band)

Whats everybody's suggestions on actually getting to the start? Im running my first half marathon, starting in zone D (well hopefully anyway as have had to take a break from training due to my IT Band)

Ran it the last 2 years and doing so again this year...found the best way for me was metro from park lane to haymarket and a walk to the start line. Drop my gear on the baggage bus and then get it at the finish, get washed and changed in the marquee thing and out on the hoy in shields!

get metro mate, but get on at an early station as it gets rammed, like thewper said get off at haymarket and just follow the crowds... have never bothered with and baggage, old sweatshirt and dump it before go in

get metro mate, but get on at an early station as it gets rammed, like thewper said get off at haymarket and just follow the crowds... have never bothered with and baggage, old sweatshirt and dump it before go in

Cheers fellas. Im travelling up from Sedgefield area, a few have suggested parking up somewhere near to the finish line and getting the Metro from there. I'll be honest I've never ever been on the Metro before, so have no idea where to go or what to do.

Orange Zone D for me - Owt under 2 hours will dee me like (secretly hoping for around 1:55, but we'll see).

Looking forward to it:)

Best of luck to you all, I ran it in 2011 and was a great experience. Took my ipod but must have only listened to it for 20 minute tops. Decided to soak all the atmosphere in. For those of you who are doing it for the first time it can get very crowded in places so keep your wits about you and people do get agitated with people in the way or those that decide to walk but dont get to the side to do it. There was quite a bit shouting at people going on in places but I suppose that whats happened when its crowded and people are slowing down and there is very little room for you to get through. You will get a huge buzz of self satisfaction when you finish and you will feel very proud of yourself. If some of you have never done the full distance in training dont worry, most I ever ran beforehand was 11 mile. If you can do roundabout that distance the day itself will get you through the rest.

Depending what time you get to the start I would maybe take some reading material with you, it can get quite boring just standing about waiting for it to kick off

Best of luck to you all, I ran it in 2011 and was a great experience. Took my ipod but must have only listened to it for 20 minute tops. Decided to soak all the atmosphere in. For those of you who are doing it for the first time it can get very crowded in places so keep your wits about you and people do get agitated with people in the way or those that decide to walk but dont get to the side to do it. There was quite a bit shouting at people going on in places but I suppose that whats happened when its crowded and people are slowing down and there is very little room for you to get through. You will get a huge buzz of self satisfaction when you finish and you will feel very proud of yourself. If some of you have never done the full distance in training dont worry, most I ever ran beforehand was 11 mile. If you can do roundabout that distance the day itself will get you through the rest.

Depending what time you get to the start I would maybe take some reading material with you, it can get quite boring just standing about waiting for it to kick off

Aye, I agree with this. My first GNR (2011) I did a total of 3 outside runs in training: 5, 7 and 10 miles. The rest was regular cardio in the gym. I went for the slightly flawed logic of running the first 10 miles on the day then thinking "well I know I can run 3.1 miles.." and just continuing from there.

Second time round I did a bit more outside running but only one long run of 11 miles. This year I've done far more outside running as well as gym-based cardio but still only a couple long runs of 10-11 miles.

That said, every year I say I'll train more over longer distances because I always hit 10/11 miles on the day and my mile splits take a dive from there. :lol: I'm not fussed about timings though, just want to improve a little on the previous year.

Got a late place off my sister as she's crocked. . .chuffed but will have to run with 'Lucy' written on my number:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back