Great North Run Roll Call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haway then who's doing it? I'll be there on the start line (well about half a mile behind it) in Orange wave B. Anything under 1h45 will do just nicely! I know there's a running thread but thought this deserved one of its own.

You'll not be that far away from start. I've been in Orange B last 2 years and crossed start line 30seconds to a minute after gun went. The only group in front of Orange B is the Elite, so close to front as you can get.

Good luck on the 1hr 45min.

This will be my third time doing it!

Past times being = 2007 - 2:17:38 and 2010 - 1:54:26

Im in zone E.

Haven't done anywhere near the training i wanted to do for it, im still hoping for around the 10 minute mile time though!

Orange c for me had a time of 1.40 down but now injured and will hopefully limp round in 2 hours first GNR for me since 1986

White F for me, was aiming for sub 2hrs as until the start of this year the furthest id ran was 5k.

Now having problems with my IT Band in both legs after a mile, so i hope to crawl round in under 2hr 30.

Band D for me. First GNR and I'm actually quite looking forward to it!! Will probably plod round in 10min miles, so anything close to 2 hrs would be a bonus.

Good Luck everyone....

mate got a place last night, he would probably do it about 1hr40... the place he's been given had an estimated time of 2.5hrs in block H , does that mean he is stuck in that block ?

Unless he can prove he can run faster with taking finishing details from previous runs.

Zone F for me, hoping to do it in 2 hours.

Yeah on the day they wont let him in to a different block, although last year in the first mile last year I ran past a number of people with White & Green numbers who had somehow got in to Orange B (mainly lasses, who i guess sweet talked their way in) proper pisses me off as people should run in the right block as spoils it for others having to weave past them.

Not saying your mate would slow anyone down as 1hr 40 would be very decent time, I think there is a process you can go through to get number changed in advance but he should get it sorted sooner rather than later.

I am not happy with my Start Zone/Wave allocation and want to move up into a faster wave:

Race numbers have been allocated on your estimated time given on your application. If you feel you should be in a higher wave we will need additional proof of a race you have completed in the last twelve months. This can be a print out of your result or a certificate and does not have to be a Great Run event. Please bring proof to the Great Run Information desk on race weekend along with your race number and chip. If your proof is in line with our wave allocation we will move you up.

he has taken another lads place so i'm unsure if he is snookered as he hasn't done the gnr run before, although he did the sunderland half marathon this year in 1hr 38

Looks like he is starting from near the back then, even if he did take details it would be in a different name.

he has taken another lads place so i'm unsure if he is snookered as he hasn't done the gnr run before, although he did the sunderland half marathon this year in 1hr 38
All the numbers have been allocated so they won't let him change it, you're allowed to move further back but not further forward. Also tell your mate to try not to have a heart attack, as the NE Ambulance Service have a manifest of the details of all the runners on the day, which won't include him! To do 1h40 from that far back will really take some doing. Tell him to start as far forward as he can ie the very front of his band. By the time he's worked his way through all the dawdlers, he'll have a lot of catching up to do.

I'm in for my third attempt. Starting in the green zone, same as last year. I'd like to knock a little off last year's time (2:14) but haven't really done a lot of training so I'll be happy enough just getting round and not dying for the last 3 miles like the last two years.

Ive now been offered that zone H place.... did it about 3 yr back in 1hr 30, and year before that in 1hr34, both of those times I was in zone B or C, unsure if it would piss me off being right at the very back

Ive now been offered that zone H place.... did it about 3 yr back in 1hr 30, and year before that in 1hr34, both of those times I was in zone B or C, unsure if it would piss me off being right at the very back
Outstanding that mate! You'll probably get frustrated. But just run the best time you can and enjoy it!

Ive knocked it back mate, think almost walkin the first mile would just annoy me, different if youre doing it with somebody who would struggle otherwise, or raising money, but to be fair i'd be doing neither

I've actually found the pace of the first mile isn't the problem at all that far back as lots of people start off with a bit too much gusto. It's been around the halfway mark both previous times for me where I've become frustrated with how congested it is, as people just stop and walk suddenly rather than moving to the side and being mindful of those around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back