Govt planning Oct lockdown if hospitalisations continue to rise

They coped in the 1st wave and numbers won't hit that high again. What's the point in having lockdowns and jabs galore to be locked down again?? We don't lock down for flu. Also bojo said the opening up of society was non reversible and that we would have to live with the virus.
If they locked down again I think you could well see mass civil unrest on the streets of the UK. It would also then totally screw up any future jab uptake
Bingo! Full house! :lol:

It isn't just about the pub or the gym being closed though. Do you think people will isolate and lose wages if they are on low income? Do you think employers will allow staff to isolate with no symptoms for 10 days and put their business at risk? The cracks were showing before everything was lifted.
Also people will just meet in households en masse if pubs close, the ship has sailed regarding the government telling grandparents that they shouldn’t be cuddling their grandkids.

They coped in the 1st wave and numbers won't hit that high again. What's the point in having lockdowns and jabs galore to be locked down again?? We don't lock down for flu. Also bojo said the opening up of society was non reversible and that we would have to live with the virus.
If they locked down again I think you could well see mass civil unrest on the streets of the UK. It would also then totally screw up any future jab uptake

I think perhaps we are working under different concepts of what coping is.

“But Boris said…”

Thickie

Last edited:
Where would you be able to mix socially?
Just in each other’s houses really, it’s not the best but if your out at work all week, then you see family on a weekend, mates on a weekend night for a drink, get a hairdresser/ barber to your house every so often keep you tidy, it’s really not that bad.
Also people will just meet in households en masse if pubs close, the ship has sailed regarding the government telling grandparents that they shouldn’t be cuddling their grandkids.
That ship sailed for us after the 1st and only real lockdown mate.

Last edited:
Surely they've spent the last 18 months building more ICUs and increasing hospital capacity, so the threshold for the NHS 'coping' will be much higher ?

I know the government procured around 30,000 ventilators at some point, and the maximum we had on ventilation at any one time was 4,000 people.

I think you'd need someone who works in a hospital to answer your question as there's probably more to it than just having more beds. One area I can think of is staff: if we get to the winter and it's widely circulating, you'll have large numbers of staff off work self-isolating at the busiest time of the year with the extra burden of covid.
Hospital numbers are no where near what they where in the 1st or 2nd waves

That's true and you wouldn't expect them to reach those levels due to having partially effective vaccines.

But, two things could see the current levels rise significantly: 1) more of the most susceptible people being infected, which we're starting to see now according to ONS figures 2) respiratory viruses do their worst during the winter months.

So, it will come down to what is 'acceptable' among the government and associates. 'Just because we probably won't reach the levels of previous waves, doesn't mean that say two thirds of those levels will be acceptable, or even half. In the worst months we had approx. 1,000 people losing their lives in a day. I don't think half of that will be acceptable.

And, if there's a lockdown, aye you can get 'round a few bits and pieces, but in the end nowhere will be open and businesses and jobs will go to the wall. Wearing a mask and standing in a different place indoors would be a good idea to help prevent that.

Last edited:
Just in each other’s houses really, it’s not the best but if your out at work all week, then you see family on a weekend, mates on a weekend night for a drink, get a hairdresser/ barber to your house every so often keep you tidy, it’s really not that bad.

thats what i will be doing. not missing another 18 months of spending time with ageing parents and the children in the family who only grow up once. all of my family are vaccinated, the risk is miniscule.

if they do bring in any lockdown measures, surely it would just be a reversal of the previous steps, and we go back to table service only in pubs, mask wearing everywhere and non-symptomatic isolating due to contact with a positive case. i can't see them going from what we have now, to completely closing the pubs down again. it would be utter madness

Hospitals have always had more work than they can handle. I agree this is unprecedented but society cannot be closed down unless thousands were imminently in danger of death. Imho.
This wave is exactly what we need in the summer. Unless people wish to have a society restricted indefinitely.
I agree to a point, we have to learn to live with it, but where do we draw the line?

If the studies are correct and the vaccine is dropping in effectiveness in the old timers who were jabbed first, would a small roll back to get boosters in arms be sensible?

its been crazy times and the balance is a nightmare, but I wouldn't mind a taking 1 step back if it meant we can go 2 steps forward, I always felt this winter would be the worst for us as the risk / reward is the most cloudy, giving the powers that be the time to set up a yearly booster program is the way forward and I hope if we have to roll back this winter its the last time, as we should then have everything in place moving forward I guess.

tough call and pleased I don't have to make it, dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.

I agree to a point, we have to learn to live with it, but where do we draw the line?

If the studies are correct and the vaccine is dropping in effectiveness in the old timers who were jabbed first, would a small roll back to get boosters in arms be sensible?

its been crazy times and the balance is a nightmare, but I wouldn't mind a taking 1 step back if it meant we can go 2 steps forward, I always felt this winter would be the worst for us as the risk / reward is the most cloudy, giving the powers that be the time to set up a yearly booster program is the way forward and I hope if we have to roll back this winter its the last time, as we should then have everything in place moving forward I guess.

tough call and pleased I don't have to make it, dammed if they do and dammed if they don't.
It is a tough call.

Surely they've spent the last 18 months building more ICUs and increasing hospital capacity, so the threshold for the NHS 'coping' will be much higher ?
Its the staff that is the problem. They built those nightingale hospitals, but couldn't use them cos there isn't the staff (and the ones we have are burnt out completely)

Back