Golf 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reet so what am I doing wrong then as mine only goes 130 tops
I was using mizuno jpx forged tour irons last year and I was hitting a club more compared to my P790's .. These are my yardages with my short irons.
58- 85 yards
54-100 yards
50 - 115 yards.
Pw - 130 yards.
9i - 145 yards
8i - 160 yards
7i - 170 yards
It could be many things that causes you to lose power in your swing.

I hit my 9 iron 145/150.
I do too but I'm quite shit at golf.

I play with average golfers 8/9/10 + handicappers who can hit it further than some tour players. Some people are just fast, particularly young 'uns.
I was using mizuno jpx forged tour irons last year and I was hitting a club more compared to my P790's .. These are my yardages with my short irons.
58- 85 yards
54-100 yards
50 - 115 yards.
Pw - 130 yards.
9i - 145 yards
8i - 160 yards
7i - 170 yards
It could be many things that causes you to lose power in your swing.
Wow, same. I'd hazard a guess yours have better directional qualities.

Last edited:
I’ll be interested to see what I can get out of my new clubs (790’s) when I get a chance to use them - shame it’s not going to be until late December due to work/self isolation.

I don’t want them to go too far as will be a nightmare to gap. I’m hoping 7iron will be around 165 and then 15 yards up and down per club to 5 iron then I have 22 hybrid which is 200+, 3 wood 230 and driver 260ish - All above assuming flat and good conditions

Manufacturers have de-lofted their irons as a marketing ploy over the years. You just have to read this thread to see why it works.

The number on the iron is simply a number, nothing else. It's the strength of the loft that matters. After that it's down to the correct shaft to maximize your swing characteristics, kick point and generating clubhead speed delivered through impact.

Manufacturers have de-lofted their irons as a marketing ploy over the years. You just have to read this thread to see why it works.

The number on the iron is simply a number, nothing else. It's the strength of the loft that matters. After that it's down to the correct shaft to maximize your swing characteristics, kick point and generating clubhead speed delivered through impact.
This is also part of the reason why you don't see 3 irons and sometimes 4 irons in sets of irons these days along with the evolution of hybrids.

Bit of a technophobe me n not sure im a far of all these sensors, apps, rangefinders n shit.
Find it a bit ott/cheating/too much chew.

if I get a handicap to battle against in a few year I might think different, once a fortnight hacker at the minute but finally found a little consistancy.

Reet so what am I doing wrong then as mine only goes 130 tops
That's probably an average yardage. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. I get good distance on my shots as well. I'm alongside a cat 1 golfer for distance, it's approach play that I lag behind. This thread is doing me no good for my new irons itch I've got. Saying that the irons I've got must be 10 year old now. Jpx 825 pros.

Last edited:
I've just started so makes interesting reading this thread. Playing with a really old set of clubs (Ryder - must be from the 70s or 80s, that old it has a 1 and 2 iron in the set).

Trying to focus on hitting them straight rather than long at the moment so 6 iron must be about 140 yards :lol:

Managed to shave 15-20 shots off in the first 5 rounds though so getting there I think.

I've just started so makes interesting reading this thread. Playing with a really old set of clubs (Ryder - must be from the 70s or 80s, that old it has a 1 and 2 iron in the set).

Trying to focus on hitting them straight rather than long at the moment so 6 iron must be about 140 yards :lol:

Managed to shave 15-20 shots off in the first 5 rounds though so getting there I think.

I sacked off the driver, bought a driving iron n try to play as sensibly as possible like.
Dont think you need to spend megabucks to have a reasonable bash.

Bit of a technophobe me n not sure im a far of all these sensors, apps, rangefinders n shit.
Find it a bit ott/cheating/too much chew.

if I get a handicap to battle against in a few year I might think different, once a fortnight hacker at the minute but finally found a little consistancy.
I’ve been using an app this year like for my yardage. Loooed at the sensors on the back of this thread but fucked it off. Wouldn’t mind a watch like.

however I was a far better player 20 years ago as a younger lad because I practised and played more, simple as that really.....and I was using f***ing blades.

I sacked off the driver, bought a driving iron n try to play as sensibly as possible like.
Dont think you need to spend megabucks to have a reasonable bash.

I'm actually surprisingly good (relatively speaking) with the driver. If I go for a lot of power it tends to go way right but if I'm a bit softer with it it's fairly straight.

Really can't hit hybrids the couple of times I've tried.

All relative. You’ll always have longer and shorter hitters simply simply down to swing speed
And other swing factors no matter- just like you’ll always have striagter hitters, better chippers, better putters no matter the technology. All
Part of the ‘fun’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back