Golf 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can charge that because its worth it, certainly not a beginners track though. They used to do 2 for 1 on a Monday not sure if they still do. If you picked it up and put it on the Kent coast or over near Formby etc it would be double that.
That must've been why we played there on a Monday a few years back on a little trip covering Slaley Hall, Seaton Carew and Fulford.

It's a championship links course and that is cheap because it is in an impoverished area. I played it in a howling gale and it was interesting! Well worth £45 on a decent day.

Impoverished yer cheeky bastard!:lol:

I do remember a major event there in me youth like.

St Enodoc is the best course in the area but I haven't played it. I have played Trevose which is the next best and I was underwhelmed although I didn't play very well and that never helps your judgement of a course.
Thanks for the advice, St Enodoc is just over the water from where I'm staying, looks like it's got some lovely views out towards Padstow, £95 for the main (church) course though :eek:

Anyone unfortunate enough to be a left handed golfer and can recommend a decent golf pro for lessons, preferably a left handed one. Struggle on and off with my driver and really want to get it sorted.
I'm a lefty and it's easier to be taught by a right hander I find as they are the mirror image of you so you can see exactly what they do.

Thanks for the advice, St Enodoc is just over the water from where I'm staying, looks like it's got some lovely views out towards Padstow, £95 for the main (church) course though :eek:
I understand that it is a price worth paying. I'd far rather pay a bit more to play somewhere enjoyable than hack it around a field.

Cornwall | Best In County Golf Courses is usually a decent source for information about courses in GB&I with reviews from a wide cross section of golfers.

I understand that it is a price worth paying. I'd far rather pay a bit more to play somewhere enjoyable than hack it around a field.

Cornwall | Best In County Golf Courses is usually a decent source for information about courses in GB&I with reviews from a wide cross section of golfers.

They is paying a bit more and £95 a round!

Me personally as much as I love golf could not justify spending nearly a £100 pound on one round of golf.

Sure I could enjoy a game of golf on a good course for a lot less than that.

Each to their own though.

Me personally as much as I love golf could not justify spending nearly a £100 pound on one round of golf.

I paid similar amounts in recent years at Royal Porthcawl and Formby as one offs. Both were reduced deals from the normal green fees. Plenty of people will spend those sort of amounts on a night out. If there is somewhere that I wish to play I usually look for deals of some variety and it's surprising the value that you can find compared to the published rate for twilight, Sundays etc

Bugger, just seen there is a handicap limit of 24 on the Church, that's me out then :oops: The Holywell still looks good though, and probably won't require me to take as many spare balls.

I have paid stupid green fees in the past. I think St Andrews was something like £150 and I think that's one of the cheaper Open Courses.

In 2015, I made an enquiry to Ellis Short's gaff @ Skibo Castle. I knew it would be ridiculous but was interested to see how much it was. I can't remember the numbers but there's only a handful of people play each day. Up to 2 visiting parties, then whichever members of the ultra exclusive Carnegie Club are in residence and fancy a game.

The green fee then was £300, although you did get lunch included. Here is the application form you have to fill in if you are interested, prices might have gone up a bit now mind.

Tee Time Reservations at The Carnegie Club

A Guide for Visitors

Please find listed below the guidelines regarding your golf booking at The Carnegie Club. We request that you return a signed copy of this form along with your booking request to confirm that you have read and understood them.

Booking
It is a requirement that all golfers are to be members of a golf club and must possess a playing handicap. As part of the booking process, you are asked to provide a letter of introduction from your home club and proof of your current handicap. Bookings will not be accepted without these two documents.

Access
As part of your visit, you will have access to the following facilities at The Carnegie Club:
Practice Facilities – You may use these facilities to warm up before your round. This includes the driving range, chipping green and putting green.
Half-way House – You will have complimentary use of the half-way house.
Clubhouse – The clubhouse will be available for you to make use of the lockers for storage and to have lunch before or after your round.

Itinerary
There are two available tee times per day at The Carnegie Links: 09:00 and 14:00, Monday afternoon to Friday morning. You will be permitted access to the club through the buzzer entry system at the Meikle Ferry gate, from where you can drive to the clubhouse to be met by the Proshop staff and shown to your locker.
Arrival time for 9:00 tee time - 8:15, with lunch available after your round.
Arrival time for 14:00 tee time - 12:30, with lunch available before your round.
As previously stated, you may use the practice facilities to warm up before your game. As a four ball, it is expected that you take no more than five hours to play your round.

Dress Code
It is not necessary to wear a shirt and tie at the club during your visit, however it is expected that all members of your party dress in smart golfing attire on the course and in the clubhouse. Denim and training shoes are not permitted.

Payment
Once your booking is accepted, full payment will be taken at which point the booking will be confirmed. The cost is £300 per head for golf and lunch, excluding alcohol. Payment methods accepted are - cheque, debit card and credit card (please note there is a 2.5% charge for American Express).

Cancellations
Green fees are non-refundable/transferable except in the event of the course being closed for play. This decision will be taken by the Course Manager or Director of Golf only. In the event of a cancellation, green fees will only be refunded if the Club can re-sell the cancelled time.

__________________________________________ _______________
Signed Date

Last edited:
Bugger, just seen there is a handicap limit of 24 on the Church, that's me out then :oops: The Holywell still looks good though, and probably won't require me to take as many spare balls.
No golf club has ever asked me for proof of handicap. If they do ask just say that you forgot your certificate, if they push it look put out and say that you will play the Holywell instead then.

Just take anybodys handicap certificate, although as Old Prestonian said, you probably won't be asked. I've only ever been asked in Spain.

Imagine being that good ffs!

Played a corporate on the Colt at Close House and played the 8th, 9th and 10th with Westwood and Graham Wylie....they were driving round course spending a bit time with each 4-ball. Highlight was the high five from Westwood for my shot into the green from the fairway on the 8th, left it about 3 foot from the pin, i was nervous as fuck, hands were sweating when I hit my shot as he hd asked me what i was going to do and he was stood right next to me....still two putted :oops::lol:

Westwood was just unbelievable, everything was perfect and looked so easy, obviously no pressure when playing with us. He's a nice bloke, met him a few times now and always has time for a chat.
Scored that day as you have a 10 minute break after the 9th in the Green Cafe next to the academy, as we were with Graham Wylie he just told the kid behind the counter to give us whatever we wanted and to stick it on his bill., sat with him for a while, he was spot on as well....

Played a corporate on the Colt at Close House and played the 8th, 9th and 10th with Westwood and Graham Wylie....they were driving round course spending a bit time with each 4-ball. Highlight was the high five from Westwood for my shot into the green from the fairway on the 8th, left it about 3 foot from the pin, i was nervous as fuck, hands were sweating when I hit my shot as he hd asked me what i was going to do and he was stood right next to me....still two putted :oops::lol:

Westwood was just unbelievable, everything was perfect and looked so easy, obviously no pressure when playing with us. He's a nice bloke, met him a few times now and always has time for a chat.
Scored that day as you have a 10 minute break after the 9th in the Green Cafe next to the academy, as we were with Graham Wylie he just told the kid behind the counter to give us whatever we wanted and to stick it on his bill., sat with him for a while, he was spot on as well....
I don't think that would have made too much of a dent in his fortune.

Might try that with the kid next time I'm there.

I paid similar amounts in recent years at Royal Porthcawl and Formby as one offs. Both were reduced deals from the normal green fees. Plenty of people will spend those sort of amounts on a night out. If there is somewhere that I wish to play I usually look for deals of some variety and it's surprising the value that you can find compared to the published rate for twilight, Sundays etc

Like I said mate everyone to their own, I personally don’t think nearly 100 quid is good value for a round of golf.
I have paid stupid green fees in the past. I think St Andrews was something like £150 and I think that's one of the cheaper Open Courses.

In 2015, I made an enquiry to Ellis Short's gaff @ Skibo Castle. I knew it would be ridiculous but was interested to see how much it was. I can't remember the numbers but there's only a handful of people play each day. Up to 2 visiting parties, then whichever members of the ultra exclusive Carnegie Club are in residence and fancy a game.

The green fee then was £300, although you did get lunch included. Here is the application form you have to fill in if you are interested, prices might have gone up a bit now mind.

Tee Time Reservations at The Carnegie Club

A Guide for Visitors

Please find listed below the guidelines regarding your golf booking at The Carnegie Club. We request that you return a signed copy of this form along with your booking request to confirm that you have read and understood them.

Booking
It is a requirement that all golfers are to be members of a golf club and must possess a playing handicap. As part of the booking process, you are asked to provide a letter of introduction from your home club and proof of your current handicap. Bookings will not be accepted without these two documents.

Access
As part of your visit, you will have access to the following facilities at The Carnegie Club:
Practice Facilities – You may use these facilities to warm up before your round. This includes the driving range, chipping green and putting green.
Half-way House – You will have complimentary use of the half-way house.
Clubhouse – The clubhouse will be available for you to make use of the lockers for storage and to have lunch before or after your round.

Itinerary
There are two available tee times per day at The Carnegie Links: 09:00 and 14:00, Monday afternoon to Friday morning. You will be permitted access to the club through the buzzer entry system at the Meikle Ferry gate, from where you can drive to the clubhouse to be met by the Proshop staff and shown to your locker.
Arrival time for 9:00 tee time - 8:15, with lunch available after your round.
Arrival time for 14:00 tee time - 12:30, with lunch available before your round.
As previously stated, you may use the practice facilities to warm up before your game. As a four ball, it is expected that you take no more than five hours to play your round.

Dress Code
It is not necessary to wear a shirt and tie at the club during your visit, however it is expected that all members of your party dress in smart golfing attire on the course and in the clubhouse. Denim and training shoes are not permitted.

Payment
Once your booking is accepted, full payment will be taken at which point the booking will be confirmed. The cost is £300 per head for golf and lunch, excluding alcohol. Payment methods accepted are - cheque, debit card and credit card (please note there is a 2.5% charge for American Express).

Cancellations
Green fees are non-refundable/transferable except in the event of the course being closed for play. This decision will be taken by the Course Manager or Director of Golf only. In the event of a cancellation, green fees will only be refunded if the Club can re-sell the cancelled time.

__________________________________________ _______________
Signed Date

How the other half live😀

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back