Glastonbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

I genuinely feel sorry for kids when it comes to music these days. I'm 41 so my teen years were the 90's going to Glastonbury and Reading watching the rise of Oasis, Radiohead, Primal Scream, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Rage Against The Machine even the bands who didn't last long like Mansun, Gene, The Longpigs, Lo Fidelity Allstars and shed loads more had more about them than what they have to choose from these days. We watched George Ezra the other day and it's the kind of stuff my 89 year old Nana could happily stick on, not that there's anything bad about that but where are the bands who get you going? Stormzy was decent for what it is but apart from The Amazons and maybe Circa Waves there doesn't seem to be any original guitar bands taking the lead on it.

41 year olds ( same age as me ) asking where the guitar bands are in 2019, is the same as a 41 year old asking where the skiffle group are in the 1960’s.
The kids have moved on from 4 white blokes rehashing Beatles songs basically.

I'm not going to proclaim to be a massive Cure fan. They've always been a greatest hits band to me but I throughly enjoyed that set. Top class musicians nailing top quality tunes. Proper craftsmen at work, what's not to like eh?
I've always been the same as you about the Cure but I'm watching it now and f***ing hell, they're not just kicking arse. They're kicking it's f***ing head in, brilliant.

I genuinely feel sorry for kids when it comes to music these days. I'm 41 so my teen years were the 90's going to Glastonbury and Reading watching the rise of Oasis, Radiohead, Primal Scream, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Rage Against The Machine even the bands who didn't last long like Mansun, Gene, The Longpigs, Lo Fidelity Allstars and shed loads more had more about them than what they have to choose from these days. We watched George Ezra the other day and it's the kind of stuff my 89 year old Nana could happily stick on, not that there's anything bad about that but where are the bands who get you going? Stormzy was decent for what it is but apart from The Amazons and maybe Circa Waves there doesn't seem to be any original guitar bands taking the lead on it.

Music is fine right now, no need to worry. The music industry is completely different to what it was twenty years ago, for a million different reasons you aren't going to get bands fired into stardom like the bands you named.

If you look no further than what's played on Radio 1 then yeah music's a bit shite these days. Have a look at the New Music thread on here and you'll find some great stuff though.

Absolute ructions over Glastonbury :lol:

The Cure are superb mind, just to settle the brawl.

Tame Impala bit off the pace for me but I'd agree with the others.
I thought Tame Impala were a bit flat, no oomph. I really like them n all. They'd have been perfect as a second or third on the bill band in the late afternoon but not as a headline act to close the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back