Giving blood

Going to give this a go..beneficial for them and me.
In the early days of appointments (pre app) it was a nightmare. Now it’s seamless to book and change and like I said above, they don’t really take walk ins so unless something has happened (fainter or fire alarm (like on my last visit to the SOL to donate)) you should be fine.
Use to get a letter and turn up donated for over thirty years then it all wen't online and hard to book a appointment, then they stop emailing me so have not been for about three years
Get the app, couldn’t be easier. Sure they’d love to see you back.

In the early days of appointments (pre app) it was a nightmare. Now it’s seamless to book and change and like I said above, they don’t really take walk ins so unless something has happened (fainter or fire alarm (like on my last visit to the SOL to donate)) you should be fine.

Get the app, couldn’t be easier. Sure they’d love to see you back.
Started donating when an apprentice at the NCB, they came to us, later if working somewhere and they were there would walk in and wait, not up with tech typing on here is about my lot is the app on a website would like to start again

Started donating when an apprentice at the NCB, they came to us, later if working somewhere and they were there would walk in and wait, not up with tech typing on here is about my lot is the app on a website would like to start again
Create at an account and book online: Home

Download the app (iOS but there will be an Android equivalent) and book on the app: ‎NHS Give Blood

Or call them: 0300 123 23 23

Couldn’t be simpler now.

im there on Monday to donate blood plasma for covid, never gave blood before and was assuming i would be 10 ins in and out but apparently stuck on a machine for 45 mins. they said they might ask me to go back every 2 weeks too , cant really refuse either can you if its helping people out

When they take my blood it is doubled wrapped in biohazard yellow bags then sent to be burnt. In 2013 they took 12 pints in 24 weeks.

Last edited:
If the above is correct, ring up Barrack Road and ask to speak to priority donations. They will find a slot for you.

It is mate..i used to donate regularly at work..hour off the shop floor..coffee biscuits and fit nurses..cheers though i'll give them a ring.

I started a few year back after my wife was ill and wanted to "give a bit back" im back again in a week or so at the sol. Also done the covid plasma donation at newcastle.

Booked in for my 32nd time next month. It's an absolute doddle, and you can literally save someone's life in less than an hour. I honestly think the finger-prick test before (to check your iron levels) hurts more than the cannula.

My donation failed twice when the blood wouldn't flow fast enough (it needs to take the full 470ml in under 15 minutes), but usually it's over in 5-10 mins once you get into the chair.

Murder getting an appointment, mind.

Used to go regularly. It's an easy thing to do and you get a free cuppa and biscuits afterwards 😎
She who must be obeyed until they stopped giving when the 30 mins recovery time was reduced and twice ending up fainted on the floor.

My blood was taken to try to shock my bone marrow into producing normal red blood cells, 9 years later it still hasn't worked.

Last edited:
Do they check you for the likes of aids and tb first or do they take the blood then test it later?

They test you for blood borne viruses after you have donated your sample and if it's positive they let you know. They test for HIV, hepatitis and syphilis as well as a few others on your first donation. Obviously there are some screening questions before you start to prevent those at very high risk of being positive donating.

Booked in for my 32nd time next month. It's an absolute doddle, and you can literally save someone's life in less than an hour. I honestly think the finger-prick test before (to check your iron levels) hurts more than the cannula.

My donation failed twice when the blood wouldn't flow fast enough (it needs to take the full 470ml in under 15 minutes), but usually it's over in 5-10 mins once you get into the chair.

Murder getting an appointment, mind.
Good point. For anyone thinking of booking for the first time (or restarting) try a date three months out otherwise you’ll be lucky to get an appointment. This is because men can donate every three months and women every four so you normally find slots are free three months in advance.

Back