Gig goers

A little bit emo that sounds like it's been written by a teenager (which it probably has tbf). Robert Smith's a fan though so he has a little bit of cred in my eyes.
From what I've heard I was thinking Punk edging into New Wave, so that explains why Smith is a fan. Ive introduced her to the likes of The Cure, Joy Division and a few others so I'm obliged to go this gig now. She introduced me to 21 Pilots a couple of year ago and we went to see them at Wembley arena. I suppose there isn't many parents whose kids introduce them to music so I guess we're lucky.

From what I've heard I was thinking Punk edging into New Wave, so that explains why Smith is a fan. Ive introduced her to the likes of The Cure, Joy Division and a few others so I'm obliged to go this gig now. She introduced me to 21 Pilots a couple of year ago and we went to see them at Wembley arena. I suppose there isn't many parents whose kids introduce them to music so I guess we're lucky.
I introduced mine to The Cure, The Fall, Happy Mondays etc and she introduced me to Billie Eillish (we had tickets to see her last year but was cancelled). Although she still likes her chavvy Clubland shit aswell unfortunately.

Depends on many factors - kind of band, shape of venue, who I’m with etc.
But taking the Academy as the default,
it involves arriving half cut, then having a couple of pints down the sides before going down the front for the last quarter or so. I like to have a bounce about and then hang onto the front rows for a rest, and I always try to touch the rail at every gig. It’s easy at the academy cos you can go in from the side right at the front, but other venues can be more tricky.
I do consider myself something if an expert at getting to the front though, even when waking into somewhere like Northumbria Uni when it can be shoulder to shoulder all the way to the entrance.
I have a philosophy that where you stand gives out a message. If you find a place near the back or in the middle, you’re basically saying that’s as far as you want to go, and anyone can pass you. If you stand in the pit, you’re saying you’re up for some boyish grapple. And if you stand at the front, you’re saying you want to get crushed, fight to stay on your feet and drenched in other people’s sweat.
I’ve got into trouble for this attitude on a very worthy FB group though. People on there were saying if you want to be near the front, get in earlier, and that the people on the rail should be protected from the crush as they’re often the people who can’t stand all night and have to lean on something. Whereas I said if I want to arrive late and get to the front, that’s my prerogative, and nee fucker is going to stop me. So they banned me :lol:
I generally push through the rear echelons of the crowd shouting “‘scuse me” for politeness, then when it gets solid I wait til people start bouncing. It’s easy to push people out of the way when they’re airborne, and you can bulldoze through most crowds like this. Finally, I pick my way through holes in the pit unmolested until I can get to the front and hang on. This no doubt sounds patronising to regular gig goers, but I’ve been with people who really don’t know how to do it and have ended up getting hurt.

Depends who it is but generally in the middle somewhere where I’m not likely to get crushed. Incidentally, it’s exactly a year since my last gig........a rather uninspiring Sisters of Mercy in Bristol.
A year today for me for Sisters of Mercy in leeds. Thought they were great. Didn`t think it`d be over a year before my next one
Used to love getting lost in the music down the front and drunk...
....that was a long time ago!
I remember seeing Beth Orton at the City Hall in a nice comfy seat and loving it more recently :lol:
Mind you - that was probably 20 year ago too ffs :(
I think the older you get, the more you shuffle to the back and watch quietly and appreciatively rather than jumping around like a mad person.

Last edited:
A year today for me for Sisters of Mercy in leeds. Thought they were great. Didn`t think it`d be over a year before my next one

I think the older you get, the more you shuffle to the back and watch quietly and appreciatively rather than jumping around like a mad person.
Me neither. The Sisters weren’t my choice and I only knew a couple of songs so that probably didn’t help.

I`d waited years to see them. Thought the Covid door was going to shut before I made it. Just managed to squeeze it in.
Hadn’t realised they were touring. I absolutely love Eldritch - especially the debut lp. Saw them at a festival around 92 ish. He sang He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands :lol:

If you can remember, what's your approach?

On the railing to get as close to the band as possible? Down the front garn bezerk, grabbing arses, smashing into people and all that? Down the side ensuring you're near an exit for a piss and at safe enough distance to not get knocked about but close enough to fire a pint into the moshers? Midway, having a groove about and a beer? At the back, supping, talking to others and occasionally looking towards the stage? A sittee downer? Other?

The above ponder applies to larger gigs of course.

Midway. But usually to the side, to replenish ale.

Midway. But usually to the side, to replenish ale.
They can fuck off with spending a small fortune on their shite £5 pints like. Bottle of wine on the metro, 6-8 pints of strong ale for £2 each in spoons, then all you need is a single £10 beadle to see you through until you pile down the front.

They can fuck off with spending a small fortune on their shite £5 pints like. Bottle of wine on the metro, 6-8 pints of strong ale for £2 each in spoons, then all you need is a single £10 beadle to see you through until you pile down the front.
:lol: bottle of wine on the metro? Cool as fck for a middle aged man :lol:

Directly behind the tall bloke complaining about why he always stands in front of me or in the process of moving away from the many small groups all ignoring the band, yelling at each other and constantly going backwards and forwards to the bog or the bar.

tbh though, pre-pandemic I’d probably given up on gigs anyway.

For all you open minded cool listeners Yussef Dayes is playing Wylam in november
Jazz trio ,he's an amazing drummer ,Rocco palladino (pinos son ) on bass and a keys player
Well worth a dodge out in a great setting

Last edited:
For all you open minded cool listeners Yussef Dayes is playing Wylam in november
Jazz trio ,he's an amazing drummer ,Rocco palladino (pinos son ) on bass and a keys player
Well worth a dodge out in a great setting
It it acceptable to turn up after a bottle of wine on the metro and 6-8 pints of strong ale from spoons?

Stood wherever has easy access to the bar and toilets. Away from anyone who thinks it's a good idea to stream the whole gig on Facebook or is more interested in nattering to their (usually her) mates all night.

Back