Getting made redundant

Not wanting to work and wanting to be old aren't the same things Adam mate. Work doesn't define a person. It's just something we have to do to live more comfortably and contribute.
I understand that mate ,but for 99% of the population it comes hand in hand .What I’m getting at is young boys 30/40’s looking forward to being 55/60 etc so they can retire on a decent pension .
That’s absolutely f***ing mental mentality imo .

One thing I’ve learned on this board is there are a lot of unhappy people in this world who detest their job /wives/marriages etc. If anyone’s not happy then do something about it .

Mine must have been a crap final salary scheme in that case because I was penalised for each early year taken
diff schemes have diff rules mate , also depends if you have "potected status" , I know lads who got theirs from age 50 unreduced

Mine must have been a crap final salary scheme in that case because I was penalised for each early year taken

Ours has actually being going up and up over the months..lads who took there's out earlier in the year have lost a canny bit money..the company will transfer mine into the new scheme after the year then i'll get a financial advisor to sort it for me.

top stuff, I go fishing now am retired although , gear went into the shed mid november and wont be coming out until end of april , too old to be sitting in the cold anymore.
I'm already planning on going after the Grayling, couple of hour around midday won't be too cold

After 31 years, I am getting my redundancy notice next week
They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
What did my fellow seniors do when they finished work?
Good luck to you mate.

Get a season ticket to Thailand and grow old disgracefully (obvs only legal age 2 by 4's)
Thailand is so eighties. Vietnam is the place to retire to these days. Bedwarmers are cheaper and better looking.
My dad's always said he wanted to be a rich tramp! Nowt wrong with wanting to rid yourself of the bollox of workplace slavery at any age 👍
My dad always said he wanted to be murdered in bed by a jealous lover at 97. He died of pneumoconiosis 41 years earlier than his target.

Last edited:
All the best for a long and happy retirement.

They still show Last of the Summer Wine during the day on Gold, don't they? 😊

I know there's plenty of places up and down Britain that do walking football. It's canny fun. I do that semi-regularly to make sure my worn out hips get some exercise and to ward the arthritis off. My local rugby club does walking rugby, too.
What age are you if you don’t mind me asking? I’m still playing 5 a side once a week at 50 and it’s not killing me yet. Hips are a bit stiff about two days after each match but nothing major.
Mate who’s 53 does the walking footy. But he’s a big unit mind - Could never say no to a packet of chips.

After 31 years, I am getting my redundancy notice next week
They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
What did my fellow seniors do when they finished work?

Last edited:
What age are you if you don’t mind me asking? I’m still playing 5 a side once a week at 50 and it’s not killing me yet. Hips are a bit stiff about two days after each match but nothing major.
Mate who’s 53 does the walking footy. But he’s a big unit mind - Could never say no to a packet of chips.

52. I'm not exactly slim, being XL size, but could stand to lose just a few pounds rather than stones. I still have long term effects from the brain virus I contracted the other year, though, as well as the arthritis, and having had an undiagnosed broken kneecap last year (the doc said it was ligaments and it was only an x-ray that discovered the break). With all that in mind, all I can do now is walking exercises and sports and some swimming.

52. I'm not exactly slim, being XL size, but could stand to lose just a few pounds rather than stones. I still have long term effects from the brain virus I contracted the other year, though, as well as the arthritis, and having had an undiagnosed broken kneecap last year (the doc said it was ligaments and it was only an x-ray that discovered the break). With all that in mind, all I can do now is walking exercises and sports and some swimming.
Blimey. Sounds like you’re doing bloody well to be still at the sports at all mate. Fair dos.

When I joined the company back in 1988 we had to work a year before we got paid holiday, so our holiday entitlement was available the following year, I was given a copy of a memo that explained this would continue after the Takeover in 1996, I still have the memo.
I asked HR to confirm I would get this money when I left, first they said Yes but at 1988 rates, when I questioned this they emailed back to say as a gesture of goodwill I would be paid at my current rate, then on Christmas eve another email to say I wasn't getting it all, it ended by wishing me a Merry Christmas, I raised grievance and was told I couldn't raise a grievance for this matter.
I really can't wait to get out!

When I joined the company back in 1988 we had to work a year before we got paid holiday, so our holiday entitlement was available the following year, I was given a copy of a memo that explained this would continue after the Takeover in 1996, I still have the memo.
I asked HR to confirm I would get this money when I left, first they said Yes but at 1988 rates, when I questioned this they emailed back to say as a gesture of goodwill I would be paid at my current rate, then on Christmas eve another email to say I wasn't getting it all, it ended by wishing me a Merry Christmas, I raised grievance and was told I couldn't raise a grievance for this matter.
I really can't wait to get out!
Take them to court for that. Google 'money claim online' - a government scheme to allow you to do it easily. There are some many things wrong with what they have done, it's should be a foregone conclusion.

Back