Getting made redundant

52. I'm not exactly slim, being XL size, but could stand to lose just a few pounds rather than stones. I still have long term effects from the brain virus I contracted the other year, though, as well as the arthritis, and having had an undiagnosed broken kneecap last year (the doc said it was ligaments and it was only an x-ray that discovered the break). With all that in mind, all I can do now is walking exercises and sports and some swimming.

Mt knee has been goosed sine my late 20's I'm now 54 still ok but its due to the fact I cycle pretty much everywhere - with no lycra. Might be something for you to consider depending on what cycle paths you have nearby.

Take them to court for that. Google 'money claim online' - a government scheme to allow you to do it easily. There are some many things wrong with what they have done, it's should be a foregone conclusion.
I am going to get in touch with a solicitor, I have cover with an insurance policy.

When I joined the company back in 1988 we had to work a year before we got paid holiday, so our holiday entitlement was available the following year, I was given a copy of a memo that explained this would continue after the Takeover in 1996, I still have the memo.
I asked HR to confirm I would get this money when I left, first they said Yes but at 1988 rates, when I questioned this they emailed back to say as a gesture of goodwill I would be paid at my current rate, then on Christmas eve another email to say I wasn't getting it all, it ended by wishing me a Merry Christmas, I raised grievance and was told I couldn't raise a grievance for this matter.
I really can't wait to get out!
The wife works for Morrison’s and they had the same system in place.

They paid out on everyone’s holidays at current pay rates recently.

After 31 years, I am getting my redundancy notice next week
They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
What did my fellow seniors do when they finished work?

I retired at 37, procrastinated for 2 years, our kids are still at school and my wife still works. I have just gone back into work now at 39.

The key thing is balance, take enough time to do the things you want, but keep your hand in with something. It’s important and it keeps you sharp. Enjoy it though.

I retired at 37, procrastinated for 2 years, our kids are still at school and my wife still works. I have just gone back into work now at 39.

The key thing is balance, take enough time to do the things you want, but keep your hand in with something. It’s important and it keeps you sharp. Enjoy it though.
37?!

I had a business that I’d built up from 2010 and then sold it in 2017. The initial plan was to stay retired.

My wife made the correct decision in keeping on working, albeit on her own terms. Thats imho what people should aim for, not absolute retirement.
What was the business? 😂 Not that I'd copy immediately or anything.

What was the business? 😂 Not that I'd copy immediately or anything.

Housing with care for very specific client groups. We had 16 facilities in total with a few spin off services here and there.

Very different sector now. It’s consolidated by fewer, larger, less quality-led providers and bitten by austerity. Much harder to make it work.

Good to hear Teed mate. The last thing you need is to be getting the tools back out the garage. :lol:
Cheers, I can't do that mate, those days are long gone, I retired from the building trade 7 or 8 years ago, RSI being my final reward, that's why I took an alternative job for my final 5 years of work.
At least it's calmed her down, it was really nice of the firm telling them that their jobs were on the line two weeks before Christmas, a nice touch I thought, so well done to them, trouble is, I know the other lass that lost out, and I feel sorry for her, lucky she has other work.

Housing with care for very specific client groups. We had 16 facilities in total with a few spin off services here and there.

Very different sector now. It’s consolidated by fewer, larger, less quality-led providers and bitten by austerity. Much harder to make it work.
Wow, nice work. Congratulations to you for having the foresight to do it. And enjoy whatever happens from now!

Wow, nice work. Congratulations to you for having the foresight to do it. And enjoy whatever happens from now!

Not so much foresight, just a big slice of luck and a reasonable work ethic. There is no secret, all of these shysters out there selling books and cult memberships to vulnerable people on social media with the promise of sharing their secrets are full of shit. Still, good luck to them.

After 31 years, I am getting my redundancy notice next week
They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
What did my fellow seniors do when they finished work?
Volountary work for Macmilan..they struggle a bit for fellas in the the North East and it's very good to feel you are helping.There is no expectancy on an amount of hours ect, you do what is right for you.Meet some truly amazing people.

I left on Thursday, I didn't get the first years holiday, even ACAS said I had no chance, I did get a month's extra pay Acas said I wasn't entitled to it but say nowt :eek:
I heard on Friday they sacked all the Area Managers, guess they paid a premium for that, I doubt the company will survive much longer, going to be some good furniture and bed bargains soon.
Here is what I have planned
6 weeks fishing holidays
organising the grandkids school runs
Getting fit
losing weight
Not getting stuck in rush hour traffic
and not getting my evening meal at 9pm

Last edited:
I left on Thursday, I didn't get the first years holiday, even ACAS said I had no chance, I did get a month's extra pay Acas said I wasn't entitled to it but say nowt :eek:
I heard on Friday they sacked all the Area Managers, guess they paid a premium for that, I doubt the company will survive much longer, going to be some good furniture and bed bargains soon.
Here is what I have planned
6 weeks fishing holidays
organising the grandkids school runs
Getting fit
losing weight
Not getting stuck in rush hour traffic
and not getting my evening meal at 9pm
Enjoy every second marra

Back