George Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has he had the the recognition he’s due ?Over 120 million records sold worldwide
One of the best British artists in last 50 years
His misdemeanours seam to overshadow his greatness

Perfect piped music for bogs. Well something about bogs and piping anyway.

Seriously not really my sort of music but a very talented bloke, not unlike Elton. Both a bit weird it has to be said but did a lot of good work for charity mate.

If anyone is in any doubt about his brilliance, watch this.

George Michael: Freedom (TV Movie 2017) - IMDb
TBF that was directed by him so he was always going to come out well.:lol: The film could have done without the sycophantic rentagobshites like James Corden.
He could certainly sing and wrote brilliant pop tunes with Wham but bar a couple of tracks I thought his solo career was dull. Not sure I would stretch to 'brilliance' when he's put up against people like Prince.

I was absolutely obsessed with Wham! when I was growing up. In 1984 I went to see them at Whitley Bay Ice Rink, I was only 12 and have loved George Michael ever since. I was totally gutted when he died and can still hardly believe he is dead. His voice was amazing.
In my opinion a lot more people (esp men) would give him credit if he hadn't started out in Wham! but had simply been a solo singer from the start.

I didn't mind him, but it was sad to see how desperate it all got near the end.

Cannit beat a bit of Yog on the auld karaoke.

When Wham! were all the rage I was a hormonal teenager and all the lasses were into him. Made sense to learn all the lyrics to their songs to increase your chances pulling at the school disco. I still know most of 'em now tbh.

TBF that was directed by him so he was always going to come out well.:lol: The film could have done without the sycophantic rentagobshites like James Corden.
He could certainly sing and wrote brilliant pop tunes with Wham but bar a couple of tracks I thought his solo career was dull. Not sure I would stretch to 'brilliance' when he's put up against people like Prince.
I don’t think anyone is comparing him to Prince

His stuff with Wham was decent but his solo stuff wasn't my taste. Talented man but his private life probably did overshadow his career for a while.
I liked wham, the stuff they did was good throw away and fun pop-pap. When he went solo the fun side went as he tried to establish himself as a serious act. Out came the ballads and it worked for him. For me though it wasn't as good, it wasn't the same.

By all accounts a very sound bloke who put others before himself. A genuinely good egg.

Musically, he peaked with wham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back