George Michael Inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Fred as a front man and voice was not replaceable marra.
Like the Stones without Jagger.
Not gonna happen.

Queen: Freddies voice was unique marra
Totally agree, some music could not be bettered with other front person vocals. Loads have tried & failed with covers which showed just how good a vocal was. Don't get me totally wrong though some vocalists can fit into tracks nicely. I was thinking about George Michael's voice as being one of those.

I said 5 minutes compared to GM. Lizzy we’re nowhere near the scale of him.
Not doubting George's fame, but his output was really quite sparse. Two albums in two years with Wham, then only 5 solo records over a 17 year period, and one of them is a bunch of covers.

In the 90s, he was more famous for frequenting public lavs than owt else.

Lizzy/Lynott were a lot more prolific, with a string of Gold records in the '70s, and recorded one of the greatest live records of all time.

Not doubting George's fame, but his output was really quite sparse. Two albums in two years with Wham, then only 5 solo records over a 17 year period, and one of them is a bunch of covers.

Lizzy/Lynott were a lot more prolific, with a string of Gold records in the '70s, and recorded one of the greatest live records of all time.
True but overall he’s had a great input into music over the years. I’m not really sure why it needs to be one or the other as he isn’t the last person who will get this accolade. An accolade that let’s face it means very little especially to George Micheal or Phil Lynette given the pair of them are dead anyway.

So the original Animals had a 2 year chart career and their 3 biggest hits were cover versions, so on your "George Michael Scale Of Stature" they were about 30 seconds ?

They didn't have to. AC/DC were only fronted by Bon Scott for about 5 years and had their biggest success with Brian Johnson. Led Zeppelin packed it in 1980 but could have replaced John Bonham.
I dinnar like. I mean I much prefer the Bon Scott years with AC/DC, but it's a brief time period. AC/DC were just about hitting the big time when Bon died. I think Queen's a bit different. They'd been to the top over a nigh on 20 year career, and Freddie was larger than life. Inimitable as a performer, and a major songwriter. I dunno how you replace that even if you wanted to.

The Doors tried to carry on without Jim, but it didn't work.

I think AC/DC were very fortunate with Brian, as they found another good frontman, and they clicked as a unit. And the Young brothers had plenty more in the tank. If Back And Black hadn't been the massive success it was, it might not have worked out so well. Mind you, I think they'd have kept going regardless.

Totally agree, some music could not be bettered with other front person vocals. Loads have tried & failed with covers which showed just how good a vocal was. Don't get me totally wrong though some vocalists can fit into tracks nicely. I was thinking about George Michael's voice as being one of those.
George's performance of "Somebody to Love" at the Freddy tribute concert! As good as the great man himself.

True but overall he’s had a great input into music over the years. I’m not really sure why it needs to be one or the other as he isn’t the last person who will get this accolade. An accolade that let’s face it means very little especially to George Micheal or Phil Lynette given the pair of them are dead anyway.
Has he though? I can only think of about 3 songs that weren't Wham, and one of them's that dreadful disco in the bogs Let's Go Outside song. And when was that, 98? He didn't pass away for another 18 years. He dined out on Careless Whisper for decades really. His last album was 2004. He spent most of his career in semi-retirement. Who's he influenced? Sam Smith?

George was a fuckin' brilliant singer. No denying that. But adult contemporary middle of the road pop music is hardly ground breaking is it? And Wham were cheesy bubble gum pop anarl. Who they gonna induct next year, the Spice Girls?

Don't get me wrong, Lizzy never re-invented the wheel either, but there's a lot of things about them that set them apart. They blazed a trail for Irish bands. They've influenced some of the biggest bands of the past 40 years... Metallica, Iron Maiden, U2, Guns N' Roses, The Cure, King of Leon, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Journey, Bon Jovi, and plenty others. They developed that instantly recognisable twin guitar sound. Phil's song writing weaved poetry, storytelling, romanticism and Irish folklore into hard rock - massively influential in a scene where cock rock and male bravissimo was predominant (not that Phil wasn't good at that as well). They were even influential in hip hop... the drum break in Johnny The Fox has been sampled over and over again. Then there's Phil the man himself. A black kid from Dublin, who became an icon in the predominantly white world of rock n roll, often cited as one of THE greatest frontmen of all time.

Lizzy's/Lynott's legacy is huge. Certainly in Rock & Roll.

I agree the Hall of Fame doesn't mean a lot, but overlooking Lizzy really is a disgrace.

It's not. Thin Lizzy were nothing more than a cult band in the USA. Very few people over here are aware of them, and their records didn't sell well. Gary Moore will get inducted before Lizzy because of his influence on metal in the US.
No way will Gary Moore get inducted before Lizzy ….Phil Lynott also had more influence on the rock / metal scene in the US than Gary did…….just ask Metallica / Bon Jovi etc.
You could also argue that Gary‘s solo success was partly due to the fact he used to be in Thin Lizzy….same goes for John Sykes.
Im not knocking Gary btw….hes great …..but Lizzy / Lynott deserve to be inducted before he does

Last edited:
Has he though? I can only think of about 3 songs that weren't Wham, and one of them's that dreadful disco in the bogs Let's Go Outside song. And when was that, 98? He didn't pass away for another 18 years. He dined out on Careless Whisper for decades really. His last album was 2004. He spent most of his career in semi-retirement. Who's he influenced? Sam Smith?

George was a fuckin' brilliant singer. No denying that. But adult contemporary middle of the road pop music is hardly ground breaking is it? And Wham were cheesy bubble gum pop anarl. Who they gonna induct next year, the Spice Girls?

Don't get me wrong, Lizzy never re-invented the wheel either, but there's a lot of things about them that set them apart. They blazed a trail for Irish bands. They've influenced some of the biggest bands of the past 40 years... Metallica, Iron Maiden, U2, Guns N' Roses, The Cure, King of Leon, Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Journey, Bon Jovi, and plenty others. They developed that instantly recognisable twin guitar sound. Phil's song writing weaved poetry, storytelling, romanticism and Irish folklore into hard rock - massively influential in a scene where cock rock and male bravissimo was predominant (not that Phil wasn't good at that as well). They were even influential in hip hop... the drum break in Johnny The Fox has been sampled over and over again. Then there's Phil the man himself. A black kid from Dublin, who became an icon in the predominantly white world of rock n roll, often cited as one of THE greatest frontmen of all time.

I agree the Hall of Fame doesn't mean a lot, but overlooking Lizzy really is a disgrace.
Aye he has. As I say I’m not arsed about him but he was good at what he did and deserves to be remembered
No way will Gary Moore get inducted before Lizzy ….Phil Lynott also had more influence on the rock / metal scene in the US than Gary did…….just ask Metallica / Bon Jovi etc.
You could also argue that Gary‘s solo success was partly due to the fact he used to be in Thin Lizzy….same goes for John Sykes.
Im not knocking Gary btw….hes great …..but Lizzy / Lynott deserve to be inducted before he does
Gary was a disgrace. Absolutely rubbish.

Last edited:
Moore was about as interesting as white paint without Phil.

Not really. He never had the songs. Phil did. Without Phil he was just a widdler.
He did have some really good songs ….they just werent as good as the could have been due to his own limitations as a vocalist eg Back On the Streets, Empty Rooms, Wild Frontier, Always Gonna Love You. His blues work would have also been elevated with better vocals …..Phil vocally would have been perfect for some his his blues material

Everyone was prolific in the 70s though….its just the way it was in the 70s …..most artists churning out 2 albums of 10 / 12 tracks a year. Nowadays its an album every 3-5 years for most artists

Last edited:
Everyone was prolific in the 70s though….its just the way it was in the 70s …..most artists churning out 2 albums of 10 / 12 tracks a year. Nowadays its an album every 3-5 years for most artists
True enough. Which may in some way could explain relatively lower sales as the market was so saturated and LPs weren't cheap.

George Michael kicked off in about 1983, though, and six records of original material over 21 years isn't a great deal of output really.

3 songs that wernt Wham ? 😂
Seriously ?

Aye he has. As I say I’m not arsed about him but he was good at what he did and deserves to be remembered

Gary was a disgrace. Absolutely rubbish.
I`m sure the likes of Blues legends BB King, Albert King, Albert Collins as well as George Harrison, who all played with Gary Moore would beg to differ.
You may not like his music, which is absolutely fine, but the words rubbish and disgraceful have no place alongside Moore`s name.
A bit harsh…..but if Gary had found a decent lead vocalist once he went solo he could have had a better career commercially. Just take the G Force album….its still the best from his hard rock era because its the easiest to listen to vocally
He did do Run For Cover with Glenn Hughes - don`t get many singers better than that

Last edited:

Back