George Honeyman: Revisited.

That was his problem at SAFC, he was appointed captain and tried to play all over the pitch.
He cared too much and was trying too hard.
There's a decent Championship player there now that he's concentrating on his own role.
At the time he was undroppable because of the armband, but he needed time out of the team to progress. He was letting games pass him by and was arguably worse in our league 1 season than in the Championship with us.

I thought at the time it was a silly pandering move to make him captain that forced Ross's hand to play him regardless.

That was his problem at SAFC, he was appointed captain and tried to play all over the pitch.
He cared too much and was trying too hard.
There's a decent Championship player there now that he's concentrating on his own role.
I always liked George Honeyman, but not everyone is cut out to be a captain. I think Ross chose Honeyman because he was a model professional off the pitch & he hoped this would translate into onfield leadership. It didn't work. But once Ross had made the decision to make Honeyman captain, I suspect it became psychologically difficult for him to strip him of the captaincy. And let's face it, there weren't many viable alternatives....

He’s a different player to what you had (and who first signed for us).

He’s been absolutely class to the extent I’d much rather sell KLP than Honeyman. In fact, I’d rather lose any player than him at the moment – he’s that important. He’s the main reason we are not in the bottom 3 and why we were champions last season.

I know these things can grate at times, but you should be proud that one of your youth players has made it as such a model pro. Reflects well on your club too in truth.

He has to be praised for him making the most of his limited ability.
I remember an interview when he became captain where he highlighted this. "One thing I can control is I can work harder and longer than anybody else to be the best I can be". Credit to him
What type of player is he now? Do you mean in terms of position & playing style?

I remember an interview when he became captain where he highlighted this. "One thing I can control is I can work harder and longer than anybody else to be the best I can be". Credit to him

What type of player is he now? Do you mean in terms of position & playing style?

A lot of this will sound like cliched: always turns up, creative, tenacious, aggressive, he’s literally everywhere – should be captain next season. Yes, it does read like a list of cliches but probably because they are true. We were lost without him early season, then when he came back, the points will follow.

I saw him on occasion for Sunderland, so probably I can’t really talk about how he was with you with absolute certainty to be fair. I was impressed the first time I saw him (the game when you were already relegated from the PL: Pickford and Defoe essentially took us down with you) but I saw a few games in your Championship relegation and subsequent season, and I thought he looked a little lost at time. Perhaps, overburdened and seemed to struggle.

He was like that with us at first. A little rudderless, all effort and nowt to show for it.

But, he’s developed massively and as he enters his prime, he’s a real asset. Top player for us and the way we played under McCann. Seems like a great bloke off the field too and does a lot with fans, community stuff etc. Speaks really well too.

Apologies for the midfield general cliché ticklist above– but how else do you describe great players?

A lot of this will sound like cliched: always turns up, creative, tenacious, aggressive, he’s literally everywhere – should be captain next season. Yes, it does read like a list of cliches but probably because they are true. We were lost without him early season, then when he came back, the points will follow.

I saw him on occasion for Sunderland, so probably I can’t really talk about how he was with you with absolute certainty to be fair. I was impressed the first time I saw him (the game when you were already relegated from the PL: Pickford and Defoe essentially took us down with you) but I saw a few games in your Championship relegation and subsequent season, and I thought he looked a little lost at time. Perhaps, overburdened and seemed to struggle.

He was like that with us at first. A little rudderless, all effort and nowt to show for it.

But, he’s developed massively and as he enters his prime, he’s a real asset. Top player for us and the way we played under McCann. Seems like a great bloke off the field too and does a lot with fans, community stuff etc. Speaks really well too.

Apologies for the midfield general cliché ticklist above– but how else do you describe great players?
some of the stuff you highliht there..he did at safc as well..but was mocked for running into mps space or being a headless chicken..

He’s been absolutely class to the extent I’d much rather sell KLP than Honeyman. In fact, I’d rather lose any player than him at the moment – he’s that important. He’s the main reason we are not in the bottom 3 and why we were champions last season.

I know these things can grate at times, but you should be proud that one of your youth players has made it as such a model pro. Reflects well on your club too in truth.
I thought Honeyman worth his place in our team.
He had what most players lack in the third tier - a footballing brain.

He’s a top lad and a decent player, I’m not going to go as far as saying it was a mistake to sell him, buying and selling players is a normal part of the process, but I wouldn’t mind seeing him back if all parties were keen and there was a place for him.

This is exactly how I remember him for us, if I were to critique it would be that he could ne a little aimless at times, but all the things you’ve said here he had for us, sometimes a fanbase needs scapegoats and unfortunately he got itnin the neck more often than most.

Last edited:
Glad to see that he's doing well. I had a bit of a mancrush on him and would still love to spend a night in his company. Wish you the best, Georgie.

Watched him for hull the other week and thought he was poor. Constantly giving the ball away
Look fm i know youre footy mad and love the lads but you know absolutely bot-all about football and wouldnt recognize quality if it slapped ots cock in yer face. Stick to WWE ffs.

At the time he was undroppable because of the armband, but he needed time out of the team to progress. He was letting games pass him by and was arguably worse in our league 1 season than in the Championship with us.

I thought at the time it was a silly pandering move to make him captain that forced Ross's hand to play him regardless.
He wasnt old enough, experienced enough, nor carried enough authority in the dressing room id imagine, especially with the likes of Mcgeady and Cattermole still there …to warrant being given the armband

Back