George Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.

All central midfielders occupy defensive parts of the field. Its the nature of the beast.
How often did mcgeouch and leadbitter get around the opposition box. Very very rarely. We don't need another defensive minded midfielder.

Well we have Leadbitter under contract longer than any of the others so that's not ideal! I'm hoping we get a rejuvenated Leadbitter this season, must've been shite playing in them circumstances last season.

Agreed mate, but I just think his legs aren't as strong as his heart....lots of games in this league for a 33 yr old.

Probably be more of a bit player this season if we are to bring in younger lads like this Dobson fella.

Havent seen him play...lets hope his pedigree isnt of the chum variety!The scouts know what they are doing and we pay competetive rates so he will be a goodun ..im hoping the standard we are looking for and are able to attract is obove the lee barge level!

Let's sign another 4 defensive midfielders then. I assume you'll be fine with that as they all deserve a chance.

We struggle to win games at home and seem to be after another defensive midfielder to accompany the 3 we currently have. Class.

Power is never a defensive midfielder like. We should have been playing him further forward

Yet we have lost our top scorer from midfield

The prerequisite for signing a central midfielder, unless it's an attacking one who you're gonna give freedom too, should not be that he scores 6/7/8 goals. That should be a target from increased good play and better team performances which he has an influence on. The idea is that we improve the team and the way it functions and goals increase from that. Buying a midfielder purely on goals would likely end up with us getting a Craig Gardener for League One or maybe a George Honeyman.

Power is never a defensive midfielder like. We should have been playing him further forward

He's not an advanced one either and we've seen that with some of his passing in the final third. I think box to box is the term, though it's questionable who good he is anyway.

No we are talking about central midfield and you gave me maguire, mcgeady and gooch's goals

No I was talking specifically about goals from midfield, not central midfield. Those players at times played in midfield last season.

87 leagues games and 2 goals. Exactly what we are missing in midfield then.

See although he meant central midfield, which was obvious, I took it broader as I happen to think goals wises it's area we done quite well in terms of goals last season. What I don't think it done was provide a link between attack and defence as well as it should.

Last edited:
Young, energetic and already captain. He sounds similar in profile to O'Nien but taller. Although he's being described by some as defensive his assists and the comments from Walsall fans suggest he's more box to box but not prolific.
He, like O'Nien, is exactly the sort of player I'd like us to be after, young lads with cracking attitudes that can improve.
I don't know what it means for Robson who might be the closest we've got to Dobson but if O'Nien is deployed further forward with Leadbitter and Dobson that's a midfield that should be very competitive at this level. Robson, Power, McGeouch or Honeyman must be away though?

Young, energetic and already captain. He sounds similar in profile to O'Nien but taller. Although he's being described by some as defensive his assists and the comments from Walsall fans suggest he's more box to box but not prolific.
He, like O'Nien, is exactly the sort of player I'd like us to be after, young lads with cracking attitudes that can improve.
I don't know what it means for Robson who might be the closest we've got to Dobson but if O'Nien is deployed further forward with Leadbitter and Dobson that's a midfield that should be very competitive at this level. Robson, Power, McGeouch or Honeyman must be away though?
Excellent post

Problem with that though is none of us know if Dobson and O'Nien are any good in Central midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back