Geneva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Annecy is lovely - and only 45 mins from Geneva on the train. Lots of great restaurants, bars and an absolute absence of the grinding conformity and dullness of the Swiss!

Could be worse - Zurich is even duller.
Annecy is at least 2 1/2 hour on train and at best an hours Drive.

Off there next month for a weekend break, Has anyone been before, and if so what recommendations do you have for places to go, eat and drink.
Thanks.
What weekend are you here and where are you staying?

Annecy is at least 2 1/2 hour on train and at best an hours Drive.

What weekend are you here and where are you staying?

Next weekend at the Nh Geneva Airport Hotel, as I didn't fancy any near the Red Light District.
I've seen the bus is about 90 minutes to Annecy and are quite frequent, so I think I'll go for that.

Very expensive but quite nice. Head down the lake for a bit cheaper and look out for the equivalent of the Red Arrows practising over the lake although this might be a Tuesday morning. Don't cross the road on a red man, an old doll poked me with an umbrella for doing this. Be nice to the girls in the bakeries / patisseries and they might slip you a bit free stuff.

Next weekend at the Nh Geneva Airport Hotel, as I didn't fancy any near the Red Light District.
I've seen the bus is about 90 minutes to Annecy and are quite frequent, so I think I'll go for that.
Your loss. Annecy has two things going for it: their fireworks (not on and Geneva's are much better anyway) and pedalos on the lake (it's not the season).

5 mins walk from airport. Hotel will give you a free travel pass.

What do you want to do for the weekend?

Here all the time for our head office. Wrap up warm as it’s bloody freezing there now.

Rather expensive, Make sure you get the free train pass before you leave the baggage area of the airport. 20-min train and you’re in the centre.

Plenty to see when you walk around.
Make sure you get your free travel pass from the hotel for tram, bus and boats.

Most stuff is on the left bank including the old town which is a must see. Find out about the Huguenots and the history in Geneva.

Walk up to the cathedral and around the old streets and have something to eat and drink on the way back down.

Walk down to Horologie flower clock and along to jet d’eau, round the lake and through the English park.

Have a coffee on the lake, take the boat to the other side and walk back and a bit of the river.

Have a dodge round the lake to UN building and a few lakeside cafe bars. Behind UN is Red light district which is pretty lame but some good bars around.

Carouge is a different place to explore just out of town for bars and night life.

They love fondue and anything beef especially entrecôte.

Great steak restaurant is Chez Phillipe

Only ever come in via the weird Bern airport. 20 mins on the train to Geneva (or felt like it). Weird country, very conservative. Beautiful though.

Explore Geneva on Friday (get in about 10am ), waited for the 15 days prior for Cern bout the all booked. Nephew just told me to register on French tour and they'll just reallocate you to the English tour. Will try that.
Saturday, Annecy full day and just chill both days.
Any recommendations on cheaper bars or supermarkets as otherwise I think it may be a dry weekend. Not that I'm that bothered, but a few bevvies wouldn't go amiss. My nephew said there's a good kebab in the Red Light district, so might grab something there.

Here all the time for our head office. Wrap up warm as it’s bloody freezing there now.

Rather expensive, Make sure you get the free train pass before you leave the baggage area of the airport. 20-min train and you’re in the centre.

Plenty to see when you walk around.
Make sure you get your free travel pass from the hotel for tram, bus and boats.

Most stuff is on the left bank including the old town which is a must see. Find out about the Huguenots and the history in Geneva.

Walk up to the cathedral and around the old streets and have something to eat and drink on the way back down.

Walk down to Horologie flower clock and along to jet d’eau, round the lake and through the English park.

Have a coffee on the lake, take the boat to the other side and walk back and a bit of the river.

Have a dodge round the lake to UN building and a few lakeside cafe bars. Behind UN is Red light district which is pretty lame but some good bars around.

Carouge is a different place to explore just out of town for bars and night life.

They love fondue and anything beef especially entrecôte.

Great steak restaurant is Chez Phillipe
Absolutely. Fantastic heart attack food but worth it.

Off there next month for a weekend break, Has anyone been before, and if so what recommendations do you have for places to go, eat and drink.
Thanks.

Was there for a few weeks with work. I really liked the place. Good food and good wine. Has its own vinyards i think. Aparantly the venison dishes in geneva are their signature dishes but i was too tight to go over my allowance.

Has good scenery as well. Cant really recommend many places as i was being shown round and wasnt really paying attention.

The only thing i would be wary of is the red light area. Its not like amsterdam where you feel totally safe. I got pissed on my own one night and couldnt find my hotel. Knew it was near the red light area so found that. I didnt feel safe at all stumbling throught it and around the surrounding area.

Overall i thought it was a great place. Hope you enjoy it.

Explore Geneva on Friday (get in about 10am ), waited for the 15 days prior for Cern bout the all booked. Nephew just told me to register on French tour and they'll just reallocate you to the English tour. Will try that.
Saturday, Annecy full day and just chill both days.
Any recommendations on cheaper bars or supermarkets as otherwise I think it may be a dry weekend. Not that I'm that bothered, but a few bevvies wouldn't go amiss. My nephew said there's a good kebab in the Red Light district, so might grab something there.
These restaurants are good and not too stupid price wise:
Restaurants Chez Ma Cousine | Restaurants Poulet Genève

Few bars where you can get a beer for 5 chf or so.
PM me and i might be able to get you a better CERN tour. And if you fancy a pint let me know.

These restaurants are good and not too stupid price wise:
Restaurants Chez Ma Cousine | Restaurants Poulet Genève

Few bars where you can get a beer for 5 chf or so.
PM me and i might be able to get you a better CERN tour. And if you fancy a pint let me know.

Absolutely interested in the bars, if you could locate them. Got booked up for Cern through the French access, thanks anyway.
Will check out the restaurants you mention, too.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

We used to go to the Big Ben pub in the centre, think it’s called the key and eagle now, bog standard Irish pub just along the same road, iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back