General Motorsport Thread

Is it just me, or is 'steer by wire' a bit f***ing too far? presuming that bmw would at somepoint bring this to future road cars?

The system eliminates the need for a conventional steering column and a physical connection to the wheels, with mechanical control replaced by electric impulses.
It’s already fairly common in commercial vehicles. Infinity used it years ago but I don’t recall whether they put it into all of the range.

I can see a use for it in larger vehicles but not so much for race cars. Maybe for endurance racing it could be useful but not so much for traditional race cars.

Steering feedback is more than just force, you can feel the level of grip through the steering. I’d prefer to keep a mechanical steering column.

If you’ve ever used a simulator you’ll know what I mean about feel. It’s something very difficult to replicate due to the variations in cars, weather, tarmac, tyres, pressure, grip, degradation.

Ferrari confirms Hybrid car for 2022 WEC

It says though that Colleto refused to say whether it was based on a road model or full racing prototype. But I’ve just seen an article saying they were basing it on the successor to the LaFerrari. That I do know (No trolling or blinkered aggressive comments here. It’s all intelligent info). Link below.

What I do love about the LMH class is this statement:

“A major factor in Ferrari’s decision to enter LMH was the possibility for it to provide an identifiable link to its road cars, which can be achieved through the prototype machine’s styling and the deployment of hybrid powertrain technologies”.

Sums it up. It is ok saying F1 has given road cars it’s technology but it isn’t a full merger of the race and road car. LMH goes even further in it’s links as a race car to production cars. It actually puts them on the track. So it’s logical to assume that the Hypercar will be based on a future model. A rival to the Aston Martin Valhalla apparently. I’m hoping therefore the AMR Hypercar program is not dead and perhaps they will at some point in the future base any Hypercar on the Valhalla and not the Valkyrie LMH which was rumoured to be happening but never was realised.

It’s core will be shared with the GR010 and 9X8. So it ought to be competitive. And with the LMDh of IMSA which one Porsche has signed up for set to compete with the LMH of the WEC to see the old rivalry reignite will be quiet something.
I've been enjoying the Indycar races this year. A completely different sport to F1.

How is everyone doing there? Some decent talent by all accounts.

Last edited:
Looks like there's a decent chance that Jonathan Rea's reign of dominance in World Superbikes could finally come to an end this year. Toprak is in superb form at the minute

Last edited:
Amazing career and most people have never heard of him
You can tell from the amount of saves he's had to make that Rea is having to ride right on the very edge of what the Kawasaki is capable of in order to keep up with Toprak at the minute. A really damaging weekend for Redding's title hopes after a cracking run of form since Donington.

A cracking weekend of racing in the BSB as well.

Loved Croft today. The BTCC in all its glory. Who needs massively expensive tickets to some huge elite circuit to see a global championship. Just £20 or so can buy you a terrific day out at a local track and in so doing help it survive.

Back