Gelders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember my Mam buying them straight from they oven where they were made in Bede Street back lane, they were still lovely and hot when she got them home. Must have been about 40 years ago and they were bloody lovely, loads of mince and gravy. They are awful now, really stodgy.

my mam used to be really good friends with Lillian

Cockburn's of Silksworth were the best pies in Sunderland.

And the best dips ever - especially saveloy dips. The buns they used were the size of old bin lids, massive they were. Queues used to be way out of the door at lunchtime.

Strangely the only butcher/ business I have ever known to give his customers food poisoning one week and then see more customers visit his shop for months after! No one believed George had actually caused it.

Alan Gelder was my dad's best man. He died about five years ago. Last I heard, Lillian was in a nursing home - will be in her 80s, I think. I only met them a few times as a kid, but I'm pleased I bumped into Alan a few years before he died when I moved in a few doors down from him - stopped me and asked if I knew who he was, then told me a few tales about my dad that I'd never heard before. Nice fella.

Mam is in sheltered housing, she has Alzheimer’s but is content, dad died in 2012. Brother sold Gelders Wholesale Bakery (it was never limited, always a partnership) in October 2017. May I ask who your dad was as my dad told me a few stories of his old friends.

Bungalow cafe

Gelders Wholesale Bakery (Alan Gelder), never had shops. The bungalow cafe was owned by the Gelder Family and sold the pies there as part of the cafe. In the distant past (very distant!) there was a butchers in Whitburn and the original bakery in Brandling Street, before switching to the back of Alans dads butcher shop in Bede Street. His mam used to sell the pies out of the back door on the home matches.

The daughter used to live in our village, Hillary, I'm sure the company was bought out a few years ago and the Gelders family have nowt to do with it.

Tony Gelder (Alan Gelders son) sold Gelders Wholesale Bakery to Gelders Gourmet Ltd in October 2017, they went bust and sold to Gelders Foods Ltd. No family were involved in Gelders after October 2017.

Gelders Wholesale Bakery (Alan Gelder), never had shops. The bungalow cafe was owned by the Gelder Family and sold the pies there as part of the cafe. In the distant past (very distant!) there was a butchers in Whitburn and the original bakery in Brandling Street, before switching to the back of Alans dads butcher shop in Bede Street. His mam used to sell the pies out of the back door on the home matches.
Reeteeo reeteeo ( twat) Ageist

Mam is in sheltered housing, she has Alzheimer’s but is content, dad died in 2012. Brother sold Gelders Wholesale Bakery (it was never limited, always a partnership) in October 2017. May I ask who your dad was as my dad told me a few stories of his old friends.

Thanks for that update. My dad was Robert (or Bob, or Bobby) Metcalf - I think he and your dad worked for the Halifax together, unless it was at the old town hall. But he died back in 1974 (when I was still a baby), so they’d only be very old stories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back