Gelders

Alan Gelder was my dad's best man. He died about five years ago. Last I heard, Lillian was in a nursing home - will be in her 80s, I think. I only met them a few times as a kid, but I'm pleased I bumped into Alan a few years before he died when I moved in a few doors down from him - stopped me and asked if I knew who he was, then told me a few tales about my dad that I'd never heard before. Nice fella.

I have nothing to gain here, but ... if you're mourning the loss of a decent pie, I can suggest nothing finer than a steak pie from Robinson's in Wingate. The pie focused lads there are second to none. Decent shout to Coates of Coxhoe anarl. Both these County Durham artisans bestride the pie world as Colossus himself.

I remember my Mam buying them straight from they oven where they were made in Bede Street back lane, they were still lovely and hot when she got them home. Must have been about 40 years ago and they were bloody lovely, loads of mince and gravy. They are awful now, really stodgy.
Used to deliver their milk as a 15 yr old, would stop for a break with a hot pie and bottle fresh orange

A sad day. Brought up on them. Me gran used to take me to the bakery in Bede Street back lane in the early 80s where she knew the lasses and I must have spent thousands on them in Jerrys next to the Cliff.

Shame to see them go a good Sunderland company.

The Ibbitson's pies in Jackey White's market are quality as are the Mullers ones in Blandford Street Sea Road and Villette Road.

Alan Gelder was my dad's best man. He died about five years ago. Last I heard, Lillian was in a nursing home - will be in her 80s, I think. I only met them a few times as a kid, but I'm pleased I bumped into Alan a few years before he died when I moved in a few doors down from him - stopped me and asked if I knew who he was, then told me a few tales about my dad that I'd never heard before. Nice fella.
I remember Lillian and her private number plate lil gel she’s a lovely woman

I have nothing to gain here, but ... if you're mourning the loss of a decent pie, I can suggest nothing finer than a steak pie from Robinson's in Wingate. The pie focused lads there are second to none. Decent shout to Coates of Coxhoe anarl. Both these County Durham artisans bestride the pie world as Colossus himself.
Pork pie from Robinson’s for me. Best in the world imho.

Back