Gateshead council

Status
Not open for further replies.

Difficult to transport 20 tonnes of goods from a1 to east end of Newcastle on a bike
you buffoon

Can easily avoid Gateshead from the A1 if you need to be over in the east end.
Either come off the A1 early and do A19 and tyne tunnel, or stay on the A1 up to Kingston Park and use the central motorway.

Closing Askew Road towards the Tyne Bridge is the one which is going to cause more chaos.

How will you get across the Tyne Bridge now coming from the A1 if that's closed? My son lives in Shieldfield, so I go that way to his.

How will you get across the Tyne Bridge now coming from the A1 if that's closed? My son lives in Shieldfield, so I go that way to his.

Probably just be one lane.
Sounds absolutely mental to me to bring these ideas in. Making a bad situation worse. Coming over the tyne bridge round there is terrible and going back over from the Gateshead end is even worse.
Those lights along askew road towards the bridge are total gridlock and with less road to use will be even worse

Sounds absolutely mental to me to bring these ideas in. Making a bad situation worse. Coming over the tyne bridge round there is terrible and going back over from the Gateshead end is even worse.
Those lights along askew road towards the bridge are total gridlock and with less road to use will be even worse

It's definitely the whole road that's planned to be closed unless there's been changes.

Not too sure probably have to go over Redheugh and cut down by the Central Station or turn right and cut up by Tesco but imagine it being absolute chaos.

It's definitely the whole road that's planned to be closed unless there's been changes.

Not too sure probably have to go over Redheugh and cut down by the Central Station or turn right and cut up by Tesco but imagine it being absolute chaos.

I was on about the askew road bit where it says a section. One lane given over to cyclists on the left of the bridge maybe

If they altered the timings on the lights, the traffic wouldn't back up on Askew Road. Heading towards the Tyne Bridge, it's on too long for buses coming down from the bus station, so often you're sitting at a red light and nothing is coming down that way. Ditto at the end when it's on green for traffic coming down from the Felling bypass. That all clears you're sitting waiting for nothing.

Once you get past the bus lane lights, on the subsequent sets of lights, they go to green but the next set are still on red so nothing can move forwards. Then at the end, only a few cars get out because the lights just before the Tyne Bridge are on red. It's really bad planning.

on radio this morning it was said to reduce emissions and congestion!!! and the usual bikes and social distancing excuse for shoppers.
Shoppers on Gateshead high street. It's the perfect example of how to destroy and high street. A blueprint for councils
Adding a massive detour and creating a bottleneck is creating congestion and emissions

Just read the "more information" bit on the council page.
It's closed entirely from the town hall/high level turn off to the tyne bridge.
:lol:
If they altered the timings on the lights, the traffic wouldn't back up on Askew Road. Heading towards the Tyne Bridge, it's on too long for buses coming down from the bus station, so often you're sitting at a red light and nothing is coming down that way. Ditto at the end when it's on green for traffic coming down from the Felling bypass. That all clears you're sitting waiting for nothing.

Once you get past the bus lane lights, on the subsequent sets of lights, they go to green but the next set are still on red so nothing can move forwards. Then at the end, only a few cars get out because the lights just before the Tyne Bridge are on red. It's really bad planning.

It's gonna get worse.

The whole network around they is a right mess, ideally they need to move the railway but they're not going to do that not much you could do really like you said the priority for buses doesn't help though.

on radio this morning it was said to reduce emissions and congestion!!! and the usual bikes and social distancing excuse for shoppers.
Shoppers on Gateshead high street. It's the perfect example of how to destroy and high street. A blueprint for councils
Adding a massive detour and creating a bottleneck is creating congestion and emissions

Tbh if he's a Gateshead Counciller he's probably right on the emissions and congestion in Gateshead. It's going to be absolutely horrific down by Central Station across the water though where funnily there's actually people walking around but you know progress for Gateshead and all that. Shame that Newcastle's plans were to move all the traffic onto the Central Motorway and Askew Road with their looney plans never like working together.

Just read the "more information" bit on the council page.
It's closed entirely from the town hall/high level turn off to the tyne bridge.
:lol:

It's gonna get worse.

Yeah gonna say there's a diagram on there showing the new 2 way bike lane to no-where

Last edited:
So how do you get onto the tyne bridge/central motorway?
If they are making northbound fly over a two way cycle lane, surely they'll have to use the southbound side for access to and from the tyne bridge.
This is hilarious

If they are making northbound fly over a two way cycle lane, surely they'll have to use the southbound side for access to and from the tyne bridge.
This is hilarious

It's only the upperdeck I think so you'll just have to travel underneath. It's the part where it's two level from Durham Road to the lights before the bridge.

This is hilarious

If you were going northbound across the Tyne Bridge from Askew Road, you'd have to turn right as if you were going to Tesco, then along in front of the Civic Centre. That road usually has nothing in the left lane to turn into Gateshead town centre and there's always a queue of traffic in the right lane. It's just going to cause mega congestion there on a narrower road?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I battled the Tyne bride for 15 years, thankfully don't anymore.

I often considered registering the car as a taxi to use the bus lanes.

The only way I found to get through the traffic was on my motor bike. Just whipped through to the anger of many car drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back