Gascoigne on ITV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
To condemn Gazza is to condemn all alcoholics. I'm sure that's not the case. Some people recover with help. Some people like Gazza can't. It's not something that can easily be turned around otherwise it would simply be a case of "just stop drinking":(

I think a lot of people are thinking addicts can just turn their addiction off and on like a tap. If they could do that it wouldn't be an addiction.
Obviously all the people condemning him would be easily able to beat any addiction and never relapse.
:lol::rolleyes:

Your first sentence is very poor. Having seen some I care about beat another person I care about, have to clean up shit, piss and vomit and lie and make up excuses to cover up what they've done, yes I'm pretty qualified. The content of the programme will do little to raise awareness of this illness, because it's mostly left to families to sort it out.
It is. But if you firmly believe the person suffering the addiction intended to behave in that manner or indeed be addicted in the first place then that's a pretty narrow view.

People who are addicted do terrible things and cause terrible harm. To judge them as nothing but terrible people is to misunderstand the nature of addiction and mental health issues.

It is. But if you firmly believe the person suffering the addiction intended to behave in that manner or indeed be addicted in the first place then that's a pretty narrow view.

People who are addicted do terrible things and cause terrible harm. To judge them as nothing but terrible people is to misunderstand the nature of addiction and mental health issues.
We're miles apart on this one. I'm not going to get into it any further because it's something that happened a long time ago and we as a family channeled our energy into other things to to overcome it. One thing I will say is though, nobody who helps an addict is to blame for their final outcome.

No he a washed up waste of a life

Wasn't half as good a player as what people make out, the blinkers are always on when gascoigne is mentioned

He was though, I went with a Spuds mate to an FA cup game once, they won 1-3 , Gascoigne was on a different planet to every other player on the pitch, id go as far to say he`s the best player I have ever seen live, some of the things he did would just have the whole stand gasping, you just couldn't take your eyes off him.

Massive mental health issues that nobody diagnosed when he was younger, add to that an insane amount of money and you have an accident waiting to happen. I suspect had he ended up at Man United rather than with Venables at Spurs things would have ended very differently as Fergie would have sorted him rather than let him run riot.

Wouldn't be so sure like

Alcoholism isn't a choice.

It is. Talking from experience.

Wouldn't be so sure like

It is. Talking from experience.
Ok. In your experience someone close to you chose to be an alcoholic. In my experience of someone who was perfectly happy with life chose death over drink. In your experience/opinion it's a choice. In my experience/opinion it isn't.

We're miles apart on this one. I'm not going to get into it any further because it's something that happened a long time ago and we as a family channeled our energy into other things to to overcome it. One thing I will say is though, nobody who helps an addict is to blame for their final outcome.
Ah sorry mate. I understand the destruction it can cause.

Massive mental health issues that nobody diagnosed when he was younger, add to that an insane amount of money and you have an accident waiting to happen. I suspect had he ended up at Man United rather than with Venables at Spurs things would have ended very differently as Fergie would have sorted him rather than let him run riot.

What are they mate?

That's what alcohol addiction does.

If you've no understanding of it, it's probably best not to pass judgement.

Is that a medical fact or is he just a typical NE bloke who enjoys a drink but has endless opportunity and funds together with a lack of self control?

Unless you have proof that he has a diagnosed medical condition you're doing exactly the same as anyone else who's passing judgement without the full facts.

Last edited:
Hard watch, so sad to see him like that.

anyone watching it ?

Some harsh people on here mind.

Feel sorry for the bloke. His Dad telling him to sign for Spurs just because he would get a new house out of it was probably the worst advice he ever got. No one was looking out for him, all out for what they could get.

Add on that incident with his cousin, the injuries that took their toll and it's easy to see how a simple lad from Newcastle has ended up a wreck.

It's a shame. I remember that cup run for Spurs in 91 and he was unbelievable, as good as anything I've seen.

He doesn't care about anyone enough to stop drinking imho . It's like he has no reason to stop , he only cares about himself .

Some harsh people on here mind.

Feel sorry for the bloke. His Dad telling him to sign for Spurs just because he would get a new house out of it was probably the worst advice he ever got. No one was looking out for him, all out for what they could get.

Add on that incident with his cousin, the injuries that took their toll and it's easy to see how a simple lad from Newcastle has ended up a wreck.

It's a shame. I remember that cup run for Spurs in 91 and he was unbelievable, as good as anything I've seen.

Really?

He's like watching a car crash...... You only tune in for the shock value and TV Company's know this

Its pretty pathetic really

To condemn Gazza is to condemn all alcoholics. I'm sure that's not the case. Some people recover with help. Some people like Gazza can't. It's not something that can easily be turned around otherwise it would simply be a case of "just stop drinking":(
those who've never suffered from alcholism kna jack shit including the massive impact it has in their families

Wish I had the same help as Gazza though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back