Gascoigne on ITV4

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 361

Hard watch, so sad to see him like that.

anyone watching it ?

No but i like the bloke i feel.sympathy for him, hes a vulnerable guy and its hard not to for me, read all his books and people who slate him all know deep down he is a good guy

Cheers for the heads-up.

Probably the best English footballer I've ever seen and despite being a fat little Mag I genuinely liked the bloke and hope he pulls his life around.
My nephew and his mates aged about 12 were having a kick about near the Toll Bar and a smart car pulls up. Driver gets out and it's Gazza. Asks how they are doing etc gives them a £5 each and drives off. The boys were very chuffed. That story always touched me. A random act of kindness by Gazza ? His loneliness? Need to connect with some working class kids he will never see again? He was a very great player - maybe not as bright or as sharp as he needed to be in the world he ended up moving in. Alcoholism is a pretty dreadful 'illness'.

I have first hand experience of alcohol addiction. Gascoigne is an arsehole, end of.
With you knowing him personally of course from what you've read in the paper you're obviously qualified to judge.

Yep TV programmes like this should definitely not be used to discuss issues like addiction or alcohol and should definitely be used to act as judge and jury in condemning those we don't know.

Massive mental health issues that nobody diagnosed when he was younger, add to that an insane amount of money and you have an accident waiting to happen. I suspect had he ended up at Man United rather than with Venables at Spurs things would have ended very differently as Fergie would have sorted him rather than let him run riot.

With you knowing him personally of course from what you've read in the paper you're obviously qualified to judge.

Yep TV programmes like this should definitely not be used to discuss issues like addiction or alcohol and should definitely be used to act as judge and jury in condemning those we don't know.
Your first sentence is very poor. Having seen some I care about beat another person I care about, have to clean up shit, piss and vomit and lie and make up excuses to cover up what they've done, yes I'm pretty qualified. The content of the programme will do little to raise awareness of this illness, because it's mostly left to families to sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back