Gary Rowell - 66 today

Loved Gazzamatazz me.

Got to know him 2000ish. He used to stay at his Mams after a home game.

She must have the patience of a saint.

Lives in Burnley, I think.

Happy Birthday Gary, my boyhood hero.

Even though he suffered that serious knee injury aged 21 (which took something from his game) when he was absolutely flying, scoring goals for fun, he still had periods later where he hit purple patches.
For example from the 12 months from April '82 to March '83 (in Division 1) he hit 24 goals all in, not a bad total for someone who had suffered such an injury.

Happy Birthday Gary, my boyhood hero.

Even though he suffered that serious knee injury aged 21 (which took something from his game) when he was absolutely flying, scoring goals for fun, he still had periods later where he hit purple patches.
For example from the 12 months from April '82 to March '83 (in Division 1) he hit 24 goals all in, not a bad total for someone who had suffered such an injury.
I was stood in the clockstand against Orient when he got injured, like Shaun Elliott after Souness did him, never the same player.
Such a shame, potenially he could have gone to the very top

Men have been 67 for a few years. My dad turned 67 last year and got his pension then.

Think it goes to 68 in 2027
As things stand it's 66 now. Increases to 67 between 2026 to 2028. Was scheduled to start increasing to 68 between 2044 to 2046 but not sure if that's been brought forward.
As things stand it's 66 now. Increases to 67 between 2026 to 2028. Was scheduled to start increasing to 68 between 2044 to 2046 but not sure if that's been brought forward.
2037-2039 possibly.

Last edited:
Great player for us and so much more than the hat trick (fabulous as that will always be). There's always a what might have been but for injury question but it was a saf day when he departed.

Great player for us and so much more than the hat trick (fabulous as that will always be). There's always a what might have been but for injury question but it was a saf day when he departed.

Right enough and he's a top man I've met him several times.

Right enough and he's a top man I've met him several times.

I was stood in the clockstand against Orient when he got injured, like Shaun Elliott after Souness did him, never the same player.
Such a shame, potenially he could have gone to the very top
What are your memories of how his injury happened ?
Remember someone saying it was late on in the game and it looked innocuous and Gary actually walked off the pitch ?

And me.👍

Also remember him bringing the Milk Cup over to us at Wembley, and getting a brilliant ovation.

Brilliant day.
I was 15. My Da dropped me off at SJP, but I had to get the train and bus home.
"Interesting" stroll to the station afterwards. 🤣🤣🤣

Been in the away end in past few derbies and they have been amazing but to have been there seeing a local lad score a hat trick against our biggest rivals is once in a lifetime stuff. In all fairness it will probably never ever happen again

What are your memories of how his injury happened ?
Remember someone saying it was late on in the game and it looked innocuous and Gary actually walked off the pitch ?
I can't remember anything about the game other we won 1-0, Rowell scored on 66 minutes according to the statcat, then was subbed by Gordon Chislom

Back