Gary Rowell - 66 today

I feel old. But Happy Birthday to Gary Rowell. Imagine scoring a hat-trick at the the landfill….and I was there to see it.
Me too. Absolute heaven.

After the game I left wearing my scarf. A car full of unhappy Mags chased me down the pavement in their car. I had the nous to jump behind a thick, tall lamp post. They hit it. Smoke and steam everywhere. Laghter from me. I have never forgotten it. Thanks Gary

Met him in a Plymouth niteclub before an away when he he did the radio. Asked him how it felt when he scored the hattrick. Said, "I was a Sunderland fan before I played for the club. How would you have felt?"

Happy Birthday Sir Gary Rowell

saw his first goal away at Hull. Me and about 10000 other Sunderland supporters. Hell on inside the ground, coppers on horses riding up the terraces. All to protect the Hull fans.

Met him in Windmills one time when his sons band were playing. Nick Pickering was with him and they were both absolutely mortal.

So was I to be fair, in fact it might not even have been him looking back, just some random fella who looked like him. If it was a randomer he must have thought I was a bit weird asking to get my photo took with him and holding 4- 1 fingers up 🤣

saw his first goal away at Hull. Me and about 10000 other Sunderland supporters. Hell on inside the ground, coppers on horses riding up the terraces. All to protect the Hull fans.
This was a typical game showing how versatile he was as a player. I think he played centre midfield in place of an injured Tony Towers. He scored and controlled the midfield. Then over the next few seasons he went onto to play wide left midfield, as a number 10 and as a striker.

An absolute legend.

The game before he got injured we played Palace at home and Terry Venables was their manager. He had Kenny Sansom man marking him the whole game, and if I remember correctly Venables said after the game it was the first time he had instructed a player to man mark an opposition player - he saw Rowell as such a threat.

Last edited:

Back