Gareth Bale Tackle on O'Shea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you have the need to bring his nationality to the debate?
Cowards and bullies abound in every group, nation, community etc
Besides bale was with soton ( an ENGLISH club ) from the age of 14.
Dirty cowardly tacklers have been as much a part of english football as any other nation.
Any excuse to bring nationalistic boorishness into play.

I don't think he hates Welsh people. It's merely a way of describing him, wouldn't bother me if someone said Whelan was an Irish kernt.

Last edited:
I don't think he hates Welsh people. It's merely a way of describing him, wouldn't bother me if someone said Whelan was an Irish kernt.
I'm glad he specified Gareth Bale is Welsh. Without that we wouldn't have a clue who he'd be talking about, of course :rolleyes:

How is he a legend? What has done in the game?

Stands up for what he believes in despite attacks from supporters and the media alike. Doesn't let anything get to him, gives 100% for Ireland every game (definition of wears his heart on his sleeve), improved his game immensely from when he was here, honours his late friend by wearing his number last night, always willing to help out people in his community back in Derry (has donated a few times to children needing operations), passionate footballer who really loves playing.

Stands up for what he believes in despite attacks from supporters and the media alike. Doesn't let anything get to him, gives 100% for Ireland every game (definition of wears his heart on his sleeve), improved his game immensely from when he was here, honours his late friend by wearing his number last night, always willing to help out people in his community back in Derry (has donated a few times to children needing operations), passionate footballer who really loves playing.
Plenty of footballers do that. Just look at Defoe and Bradley. Diego Costa does loads for charity. The difference is Defoe and Costa are brilliant players and McClean isn't.

Plenty of footballers do that. Just look at Defoe and Bradley. Diego Costa does loads for charity. The difference is Defoe and Costa are brilliant players and McClean isn't.

Good for them I'd hope they're viewed the same in their countries! I don't understand your point, to me McClean is a legend, I didn't say he's the only one? I also didn't say he's a world class player did I?

Also lets not deflect from the fact you were wrong about his tackle vs Poland. It was completely different to any of the tackles last night.

Good for them I'd hope they're viewed the same in their countries! I don't understand your point, to me McClean is a legend, I didn't say he's the only one? I also didn't say he's a world class player did I?

Also lets not deflect from the fact you were wrong about his tackle vs Poland. It was completely different to any of the tackles last night.

Doesn't take much to become a legend in your eyes does it. :lol:

Doesn't take much to become a legend in your eyes does it. :lol:

I'm a big supporter of the national team. To see a player wear the green jersey with that much passion and aggression, and to remain true to his beliefs and community despite the impact it may have to his career, makes him a legend to me. Too many little whiney money obsessed diving pussy pricks in the game these days. McClean is a throw back to proper passionate football

Imo they were the same. It's the same way everyone in Ireland is getting all high and might over the Taylor tackle but praise Keane for his tackle on Haaland. It's the hypocritical nature of football fans.

For me McClean isn't a legend, he's a wanker because of the way he acts towards us. It's a tribal thing. I honestly couldn't call him a wanker when he plays against us and sing his name when he plays for Ireland. Just like I couldn't shout against Defoe or Pickford when they play for England.

I'm a big supporter of the national team. To see a player wear the green jersey with that much passion and aggression, and to remain true to his beliefs and community despite the impact it may have to his career, makes him a legend to me. Too many little whiney money obsessed diving pussy pricks in the game these days. McClean is a throw back to proper passionate football
And here's the truth of it. His beliefs. Fair play to him, he should stick to them. Even if he doesn't respect other people's beliefs ie refusing to respect GSTQ. That's one of the reasons he's a hero among Irish fans and the sing 'James McClean hates the f***ing Queen'. It's as pathetic 'Ten German Bombers'. Or the 'He shags who he wants' song about Bramble.

Last edited:
Imo they were the same. It's the same way everyone in Ireland is getting all high and might over the Taylor tackle but praise Keane for his tackle on Haaland. It's the hypocritical nature of football fans.

For me McClean isn't a legend, he's a wanker because of the way he acts towards us. It's a tribal thing. I honestly couldn't call him a wanker when he plays against us and sing his name when he plays for Ireland. Just like I couldn't shout against Defoe or Pickford when they play for England.

A lot of people here don't support Keanes tackle on Haaland, including myself. McCleans tackle was completely different. His feet were not high or even that much off the ground. Bale and Taylor launched two footed challenges with both feet off the ground at near knee height.

I don't despise Taylor for the tackle btw, it was completely careless and dim witted though.

It's ok that you don't think McCleans a legend, that's what opinions are. There's no need to go around saying his tackle against Poland was malicious or even near as careless as any last night though, that's just factually wrong. For me my country comes before club btw, I'd have no problem calling Defoe or Pickford pricks if they were play acting while playing against Ireland. As I said in my initial posts, they're mutually exclusive things for me. If you cared about country before club then I don't know how anyone could dislike McClean

And here's the truth of it. His beliefs. Fair play to him, he should stick to them. Even if he doesn't respect other people's beliefs ie refusing to respect GSTQ. That's one of the reasons he's a hero among Irish fans and the sing 'James McClean hates the f***ing Queen'. It's as pathetic 'Ten German Bombers'. Or the 'He shags who he wants' song about Bramble.

McClean has never said he hates the Queen, it's not his fault Irish fans sing about it.

I like Mcclean he isn't the most gifted but he always puts in a proper shift and shows passion for the game.

He can be thick as shit but he spoke very well after the game last night after a tough week where two people he was personal friends with died.

He had a cracking game last night got all over the pitch and his goals have us level on points with 5 games left 3 at home 2 away.

Dirty cowardly tacklers have been as much a part of english football as any other nation.
No problem with him being Welsh, but that doesn't alter my opinion of him.

Yes he started out in England as you state, however that doesn't appear to mean that much to him (the way he was spouting off in the summer).

Melt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back