Gardening thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s weed and feed day tomorrow chaps, so I’m either being buried in the garden in the next 7 days, or I’m sorting out an alternative wedding venue because one she’s picked and we’ve paid for is in a mess! I think being burned is preferable!

Any suggestions for a clover outbreak in my grass?
Weedol. You can use it up to twice per year.
Don't cut it short before using it - it needs to hit the leaves. It'll kill all the other weeds too.
Use it when the weeds are actively growing - so not in mid-winter and not in a very hot dry spell.

Been very pleasantly surprised with the taties that we’re pulling up here from the raised beds. I planted them very early season but with lockdown we couldn’t get back out to Earth them up or weed them.

Getting some decent crop out and hardly any green ones which surprised me as there’s only a couple of inches of compost over them.

Been very pleasantly surprised with the taties that we’re pulling up here from the raised beds. I planted them very early season but with lockdown we couldn’t get back out to Earth them up or weed them.

Getting some decent crop out and hardly any green ones which surprised me as there’s only a couple of inches of compost over them.
I’ve had a few earlies out and been impressed with the majority, but I’ll not be planting the ‘swift’ variety next year, they’re tasteless.

I’ve had a few earlies out and been impressed with the majority, but I’ll not be planting the ‘swift’ variety next year, they’re tasteless.
I think we’re on Pentland Javelins now which seem to crop heavier and more disease resistant than the Charlottes.

Going to put some extra hoss muck in the beds then try growing on some leeks. They’re selling a huge bunch of seedlings for €4.50 up the local garden centre. Never grown them in beds before so fingers crossed they’ll do ok over the winter.

Once you have clover you may as well dig out the strip of lawn it’s on and replace with turf or if it’s over the whole lawn get someone in to take it the whole lot up and relay.

I think we’re on Pentland Javelins now which seem to crop heavier and more disease resistant than the Charlottes.

Going to put some extra hoss muck in the beds then try growing on some leeks. They’re selling a huge bunch of seedlings for €4.50 up the local garden centre. Never grown them in beds before so fingers crossed they’ll do ok over the winter.
Just got a truck load of horse muck from my mate's allotment. Not sure whether to put it straight on the beds or on the compost heap. Its well rotted.

Already had my 1st earlies which were grown in the sacks. Very nice.
Just lifted the rest of my 2nds today - Charlottes. They are excellent, and have cropped really well.
Just got a truck load of horse muck from my mate's allotment. Not sure whether to put it straight on the beds or on the compost heap. Its well rotted.
Dig it in where you are going to put next year's spuds marra.
If it's black (well rotted), then it will be great for the soil.
Get it all dug in, and cover it all with tarpaulin/black plastic sheeting and leave it until mid march/early April next year when your spuds will be ready to go in.

Last edited:
Has anyone fitted any drainage under their lawn? Mine is like a bog with all the rain we had last week and it’s making keeping the dogs clean a nightmare. I have already fitted a sump pump at the lowest point with one french drain going to it but that’s not enough. I’m looking at fitting more but I’m not sure how far apart to run the drain channels should be.

Has anyone fitted any drainage under their lawn? Mine is like a bog with all the rain we had last week and it’s making keeping the dogs clean a nightmare. I have already fitted a sump pump at the lowest point with one french drain going to it but that’s not enough. I’m looking at fitting more but I’m not sure how far apart to run the drain channels should be.
Have you tried aeration? That helps with drainage.
If the soil is clay, and compacted, then the water won't get to your french drain

£100 to hire the machine - get it delivered on Friday, they'll come for it on Monday. Don't pay the extra "weekend" rate ;)

Added bonus, its great for the lawn.

Have you tried aeration? That helps with drainage.
If the soil is clay, and compacted, then the water won't get to your french drain

£100 to hire the machine - get it delivered on Friday, they'll come for it on Monday. Don't pay the extra "weekend" rate ;)

Added bonus, its great for the lawn.

My grandad has an old manual one that might do the job, I'll grab that and run over the lawn with it.

My grandad has an old manual one that might do the job, I'll grab that and run over the lawn with it.
Needs to be hollow tines, not spiked.
If you push a spike in, that actually makes the compaction worse long term

Hollow tines lift out cores of soil, and reduce compaction. Unless you're talking about a manual hollow tiner? I'm thinking of getting one of those, but they look like hard work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back