Gardening thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs to be hollow tines, not spiked.
If you push a spike in, that actually makes the compaction worse long term

Hollow tines lift out cores of soil, and reduce compaction. Unless you're talking about a manual hollow tiner? I'm thinking of getting one of those, but they look like hard work

ah no, this looks like a wheel of nails. It's probably older than me...

That's a very good to use mind, once a year in Spring. It helps with minor compaction, but won't help with drainage

Added another french drain. Water seemed to pool around the gravel/grass at the lowest point. Tested it by running the hose on it where the water was pooling and it flowed nicely down to the sump pump. Now I just need to wait and see how long it takes to dry out in that are and hopefully the grass will pick back up. I'm not sure if it's worth seeding it in October. I know the sump should be off to the side and accessible, but that's the lowest point and it's easy to get the top layer of grass off it to get access if need, which I haven't for 2 years.

Excuse the sideway photo imgbb doesn't do .heic images very well
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
I put seed down the other day. Hoping it still comes through tbh. If not, its sat in the ground for spring.
Just sprayed another dose of seaweed. Grass still looks like shit, and there's still bare patches all over. Doesn't look like the last batch of seed/soil patching has worked :(

Last edited:
I’m still struggling to disperse the amount of rain we’ve had recently. For most people the answer is simply not to go on the grass but my dogs need to go out. I’m trying to do everything I can to fend off my wife’s hints to put artificial grass down next year but constantly cleaning muddy paws and kitchen floor is making it difficult.

I was thinking of doing thing before the really heavy rain hits on Sunday. Running the lawn mower over it on its highest setting to pick up all the leaves, racking is pulling grass up, this would mean I can see any dog muck that I’ve missed. Then covering the grass when the rain is at its heaviest. I have some plastic sheets that would cover large amount of it, hopefully that would direct the water towards the drainage system. I know I’ve watched too much cricket

Same, I really need to get the leaves off, but the last thing it needs is re-compacting after I hired the aerator in September. Its still compacted to fuck as it is!

Think I might start top dressing with sand to get it level, bit by bit.

Same, I really need to get the leaves off, but the last thing it needs is re-compacting after I hired the aerator in September. Its still compacted to fuck as it is!

Think I might start top dressing with sand to get it level, bit by bit.

I used plenty of sand on mine when I aerated it. It has all made a massive difference. Long pool of water anymore, just very soft and soggy.

Reactions: PTR
What type of sand is best?

Sharp sand was what i read helps. But I think the best way is to do the aerator holes then brush the sand into them to keep them open meaning the water can still drain down. Obviously the is no good while it's this wet.

Reactions: PTR
Has anyone made a start in 2021? Got a few varieties of tomatoes starting from seed and a few chilli plants too.
I’ve created a few raised beds just after the best place for decent topsoil, any recommendations? Online or local would do.

Has anyone made a start in 2021? Got a few varieties of tomatoes starting from seed and a few chilli plants too.
I’ve created a few raised beds just after the best place for decent topsoil, any recommendations? Online or local would do.
For raised beds, Charles Dowding (the "No Dig" gardening bloke off Youtube) recommends putting cardboard on top of the grass/weeds, adding four inches or so of compost on top of the cardboard, and planting straight into that. Dig out the odd weed that gets through the cardboard and compost.

For raised beds, Charles Dowding (the "No Dig" gardening bloke off Youtube) recommends putting cardboard on top of the grass/weeds, adding four inches or so of compost on top of the cardboard, and planting straight into that. Dig out the odd weed that gets through the cardboard and compost.
That’s exactly what I’ve done to be fair but I thought compost alone would dry out, I’ll keep an eye on it. Cheers

Got myself an electric propagator for xmas, tomatoes,peppers,chillis and aubergines all coming through within
2 weeks couldn't believe it and going to have to pot on the tomatoes asap.
Iv'e actually removed the raised beds on my allotment and tried no dig on half of it to see how it goes this year.

Yeah gone for some San marzano tomatoes this year and some Christine strawberries so far.

Was also growing some giant sequoias for a laugh to see if they would grow but it looks like the compost I used was full of winged gnats. The evil little immortal bastards. I had to throw out all my I door orange trees last year because of the infestation from them. Can only assume it's from the compost.

Made a 2 X 4 (looks like 8 boxes together in a rectangle) big planter the other weekend. It was actually old staging from Mrs K's Am Dram group so it's strong stuff.
Anyway, in it now is...

2 ferns and a tall bird feeder A Rose Another Rose (Remember Me- if you're interested) A frondy grass thing which looks nice
Kale Swiss Chard Peas Pumpkins

And in the big troughs on the other side...
Brocolli will go in April, Red Onions and Lolo Rosa Lettuce

And finally, the blackcurrent and blackberry have been in since last year so we might get something this time.
I carrots in there too.

Oh, and a long trough for sunflowers

And two crates which now have wildflower mix in.

So quite a bit really!

We’ve made up 6 wall hangers, just filled them with pansies. We are expecting to kill the pansies because we always do so potted some, Lillies and a few other bits I can’t remember the name of from seeds so we can put them in the hangers. Got some sunflower seeds going to for a patch in the corner of the garden again. Not green fingered at all, it was purely something to do last weekend.

I filled a few beds with Wickes topsoil last year and the year before, was very impressed with the quality. 4 bags for a tenner makes it cheaper than the bulk deliveries.
Big fan of Charles Dowding and No Dig but it depends what you're growing. I wouldn't want to sow carrots in pure compost for instance.
Personally I prefer topsoil with added compost & manure for most my beds.

Last edited:
How do you get rid of excess soil? Mine is thick clay like. I am planning on adding a gravel border to the grass along with a new path. Both will require removal of soil, soil that I don't really have anywhere to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back