Gaming Laptop Advice

im not sure what gaming youd expect to be doing on an i3 but there's no way that would run newer games at full spec. 256gb is tiny and thatd be filled up in no time

Nah it wasn't gaming mate, I asked PTR about a lesser spec laptop. I've got a Ryzden 7 7500 computer ;) I'm just not down with laptops as I use a Mac.

Nah it wasn't gaming mate, I asked PTR about a lesser spec laptop. I've got a Ryzden 7 7500 computer ;) I'm just not down with laptops as I use a Mac.
If you can eek a 12th gen intel for under £400 on black friday, that would be canny.
As always, screen quality (and general build quality) isn't "specs" but needs to be checked by impartial reviwers if the user cares about the screen quality.
Don't have the figures to hand, but I'd expect a 12th gen i3 to beat an 11th gen i5 in general.

Can I hijack this thread please, now it seems to have run its original course?

I'm looking for a general workhorse laptop for my daughter, budget is about £500, but can flex if there's any point.

She's at university, but she's doing English, so doesn't generally use any particularly demanding software. So mainly just coursework and the usual late teenage stuff - Netflix, Tiktok etc. and more basic games like Sims and Amongst Us.

My main question is, given her limited requirements, is there any point in me going from i3 to i5/i7 and 256/4 to 512/8 or 16?

If anyone wants to recommend something that would be great. She'd prefer a touch screen because her last laptop had one and she's used to it, but she tells me it's not essential.

To be honest we've not had any trouble with the HP Pavilions we've had, so tempted to just go with the updated i3/256/4 version of that, unless you lot think I shouldn't?

I'm looking for a general workhorse laptop for my daughter, budget is about £500, but can flex if there's any point.

She's at university, but she's doing English, so doesn't generally use any particularly demanding software. So mainly just coursework and the usual late teenage stuff - Netflix, Tiktok etc. and more basic games like Sims and Amongst Us.

My main question is, given her limited requirements, is there any point in me going from i3 to i5/i7 and 256/4 to 512/8 or 16?

If anyone wants to recommend something that would be great. She'd prefer a touch screen because her last laptop had one and she's used to it, but she tells me it's not essential.

To be honest we've not had any trouble with the HP Pavilions we've had, so tempted to just go with the updated i3/256/4 version of that, unless you lot think I shouldn't?

Ryzen 7000 7320u processor laptop will be good for her needs

I would say save your money and go for the i3 if that's all she's going to use it for.

I am after a gaming computer for my son, he would want to play fortnight mainly, what should I be looking at spec wise?

As his tastes get more mature would the laptop be the only thing he could game on?

If so you want a 3050 gaming laptop.

If he'd be happy with eSports only you can't go wrong with a amd 7320u

As his tastes get more mature would the laptop be the only thing he could game on?

If so you want a 3050 gaming laptop.

If he'd be happy with eSports only you can't go wrong with a amd 7320u
I would happily get him a desktop if I can get better value for money?

What spec would he need in a desktop?

Definitely get better value with a desktop, the question is whether it needs to be portable or not? If it's going to be in the same place then 100% a desktop but if he's anything like my son he likes to bring his laptop downstairs, takes it around his gannies and we take it away then it has to be a laptop really. Fortnite itself doesn't take much to run but personally I'd aim higher so he can run other stuff of he wants. What's the budget? Pm if you want

As already said you will definetly beat a laptop with a desktop for same budget.

A lot will come down to budget. For example if still 500 quid does that include monitor?

Pointless spending big on a 1440p graphics card when you can only buy a 1080p monitor. Need more information really.

Definitely get better value with a desktop, the question is whether it needs to be portable or not? If it's going to be in the same place then 100% a desktop but if he's anything like my son he likes to bring his laptop downstairs, takes it around his gannies and we take it away then it has to be a laptop really. Fortnite itself doesn't take much to run but personally I'd aim higher so he can run other stuff of he wants. What's the budget? Pm if you want
I am would spend anywhere from 500-1000, like you say aim higher if I can. I think a desktop, he has other things he could to take to his gannys. Wont let me pm you?
As already said you will definetly beat a laptop with a desktop for same budget.

A lot will come down to budget. For example if still 500 quid does that include monitor?

Pointless spending big on a 1440p graphics card when you can only buy a 1080p monitor. Need more information really.
I would be happy to buy the monitor on top of whatever I spend.

I am would spend anywhere from 500-1000, like you say aim higher if I can. I think a desktop, he has other things he could to take to his gannys. Wont let me pm you?

I would be happy to buy the monitor on top of whatever I spend.

Then

That would give you a decent system

Last edited:
Then

Thanks for the info, that would be good enough to play Fortnite?

Thinking about getting this one for the boy.

Be grateful for the opinion from the experts on the board.

Average. It would be semi decent if you bought it. But for 700 quid I'd want a bigger SSD. Power supply is a bit meh as well
Then

I'd just be wary.

Call me old school but you should never scrimp on your psu. That's goes pop and so does everything else.

Last edited:
Average. It would be semi decent if you bought it. But for 700 quid I'd want a bigger SSD. Power supply is a bit meh as well

I'd just be wary.

Call me old school but you should never scrimp on your psu. That's goes pop and so does everything else.
For £700 it's decent, you get what you pay for though

Back