Gaming Laptop Advice

I doubt you can get a laptop for under £1k that can match an Xbox series X in performance.
Is series X something special?

First entry on ukhotdeals

Lenovo LOQ 16i 16" FHD+ 144Hz 16:10 intel i7-13620H RTX 4060 16GB RAM 512GB SSD No OS or WQXGA 165Hz £923.40 Gaming Laptop With Codes​

£877.80

Bear in mind you need a screen to go with the Xbox, if we're being entirely fair with pricing.

The real question is does he need a laptop.
If portability is the key factor (he wants to take it round his mates all the time or often spends nights away) then a laptop is the way to go.
In all other cases desktop is the better option.
Buy a decent gaming desktop and you can upgrade it in the future when better graphics cards, HDD, ram etc come out.
With a laptop, you're really tied to it, many would be quite tricky or impossible to upgrade in the future.
Plus many gaming laptops may have similar spec to desktops, but are detuned to cope with cooling and battery life.
Many gaming laptops get pretty hot as well in my experience, which can cause issues and failures.
Also with a gaming laptop, you'll be buying a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc anyway.

So if he really needs the portability, get a laptop otherwise, suggest a gaming desktop.

Lenovo LOQ 16i 16" FHD+ 144Hz 16:10 intel i7-13620H RTX 4060 16GB RAM 512GB SSD No OS or WQXGA 165Hz £923.40 Gaming Laptop With Codes​

£877.80

Bear in mind you need a screen to go with the Xbox, if we're being entirely fair with pricing.

anything decent for around £500? gunna get my dad a new one for christmas, he doesnt do much on it like apart from look at racing post and that but think i'd like to get him summit newer that he might actually use for different stuff.

£877.80

Yeah, it's pretty powerful and will run top titles better than that laptop.

No need to buy an OS either. ;)

I bought one for my son a couple of years ago, expect to pay £1500 for a decent one.
I have a gaming laptop, that's not far off the mark. Think mine was around £1,200 as I had a discount code at the time.

Bought my son a gaming PC, was about £1,100 with better specs. My mam bought him a decent monitor. He has space in his room for a permanent set up, I don't really have that elsewhere in the house so I stuck with a laptop.

anything decent for around £500? gunna get my dad a new one for christmas, he doesnt do much on it like apart from look at racing post and that but think i'd like to get him summit newer that he might actually use for different stuff.
Check black friday deals out, bound to be a thread on here mate.

Did you enjoy the fireworks the other night?
Yeah, it's pretty powerful and will run top titles better than that laptop.

No need to buy an OS either. ;)
"The AMD RDNA 2 GPU in the Xbox Series X is equivalent to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super. Which is also equivalent to the RX 6600 XT or RTX 3060 Ti"

So that 4060 will be better on its own, and far better with DLSS 3 turned on.
Optimisation and DLSS probably mean they'd come out about on par?

& can I get a code off the web to get a monitor for under £10 ? ;)

Last edited:
Check black friday deals out, bound to be a thread on here mate.

Did you enjoy the fireworks the other night?

"The AMD RDNA 2 GPU in the Xbox Series X is equivalent to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super. Which is also equivalent to the RX 6600 XT or RTX 3060 Ti"

& can I get a code off the web to get a monitor for under £10 ? ;)

the bairn did, thats all that matters haha

I have a gaming laptop, that's not far off the mark. Think mine was around £1,200 as I had a discount code at the time.

Bought my son a gaming PC, was about £1,100 with better specs. My mam bought him a decent monitor. He has space in his room for a permanent set up, I don't really have that elsewhere in the house so I stuck with a laptop.
The bairn takes his everywhere, a desktop would be no good. 2 year old and still plays everything at high settings with decent FPS. Fancy getting one myself to be honest

The AMD RDNA 2 GPU in the Xbox Series X is equivalent to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super. Which is also equivalent to the RX 6600 XT or RTX 3060 Ti"

& can I get a code off the web to get a monitor for under £10
We'll see which one runs AAA games better this time next year.

Most people already own a TV and the Xbox is half the price.
You'll get a very decent laptop for his needs for a lot less.

Last edited:
The bairn takes his everywhere, a desktop would be no good. 2 year old and still plays everything at high settings with decent FPS. Fancy getting one myself to be honest
Had mine 2-3 years, bough starfield and Baulder's Gate 3 this year and I get a good rate on High settings. Starting to struggle with Ultra sometimes.

Had mine 2-3 years, bough starfield and Baulder's Gate 3 this year and I get a good rate on High settings. Starting to struggle with Ultra sometimes.
Yeah, starfield at least runs better than the capped 30fps it is on the Xbox and the games the bairn plays are still ultra EA FC 24, Undisputed, Fortnite etc etc

Back