Gaming Laptop Advice

dalsafc

Midfield
Teenage lad has asked for a gaming laptop for Christmas - a quick search gives a huge array of options and some with eye watering prices.

He will want to play his Xbox games on it - can anyone give me some ideas on to help narrow the search down.

Thanks

Why play xbox games on a laptop ?
Better FPS and faster gameplay.
Teenage lad has asked for a gaming laptop for Christmas - a quick search gives a huge array of options and some with eye watering prices.

He will want to play his Xbox games on it - can anyone give me some ideas on to help narrow the search down.

Thanks
What's your budget and I can let you know about decent gaming laptops for the price as I have one myself.

Mind I would personally recommend getting a desktop PC instead as the cooling is a lot better and you get more RAM and better FPS more your money. Obviously I don't know circumstances so laptop might be best in your lads case.

Last edited:
Was thinking no more £1k, might be able to stretch it a little bit as grandparents are chipping in as well.

Never thought of a desktop - it was just that he asked for a laptop.

Was thinking no more £1k, might be able to stretch it a little bit as grandparents are chipping in as well.

Never thought of a desktop - it was just that he asked for a laptop.
Talk to your lad and ask why he wants a laptop in particular because if he uses a desktop, it'll lead to less lagging and faster gameplay, especially if he plays games that take up a lot of memory, like any first person shooter games or games that need higher end graphics cards.

I can send you options for both laptops and PCs but it's a lot easier searching for a good gaming PC for that price than it is to search for a laptop.

laptops are shit for gameplay you’ll need to spend 3k on a laptop to do what a 400 quid console can manage
You might be right, however I was also streaming a lot at the time and I needed the memory and wasn't able to get decent memory using a console to handle all that.

laptops are shit for gameplay you’ll need to spend 3k on a laptop to do what a 400 quid console can manage
I mean, this is just untrue entirely.

You can get a perfectly good gaming laptop for under a grand. That'll be better than a console (lets not forget current gen consoles are 3 years old so their parts are about 4 year old tech now).

That said, I wouldn't recommend a gaming laptop UNLESS the user will be moving from place to place. If its going to sit on a desk, save yourself a ton of bother and get a desktop that you can upgrade and stay relevant for 10 years

Thanks
I bought one for my son a couple of years ago, expect to pay £1500 for a decent one.
I'd want at least
I7 or equivalent Ryzen
16gb ram
1tb nvme (ours had a spare slot so I stuck another 1tb in)
Rtx 4070 or rtx3080
Qhd screen with anything over 120hz
Well that's just nonsense
Concur on both.

You’ll get better bang for buck with a desktop as the laptop’s equivalent will cost a fortune.
Aye but you can lug a desktop about though

Last edited:
Desktop it is - told him bank of mum and dad will not be stretching to a gaming laptop.

@Fred -could you send me specs for a desktop gaming machine - much appreciate the help.

I specc’ed on up for a friend recently for 1k budget
CPU- amd 5600x
Memory - 16GB ddr4 3200
GPU- AMD 6700xt
Power supply 700w
Storage 1TB NVME
case
Monitor 144hz 27”

It was from pcpartspicker, I can find the exact models if you need it.

Back