Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

i doubt it, they've just finalised a deal for every Asda store in the Uk to take in preowned games and it will be rolled out properly late this year.
cant see them taking trade away from their own stores tbh

Most Asda' s have been doing pre owned games for well over a year already, rolled out at back end of 2010 to nearly all supercentres and superstores

f***ing hell between the UK and Ireland thats 15,000+ jobs gone. About 95% of that figure are honest people who have no input in dodgy behaviour like the post on the last page.

It go's to show how much of a negative effect the internet has on high street shops:neutral:

f***ing hell between the UK and Ireland thats 15,000+ jobs gone. About 95% of that figure are honest people who have no input in dodgy behaviour like the post on the last page.

It go's to show how much of a negative effect the internet has on high street shops:neutral:

Agree and I feel really sorry for the people who are employed currently and may lose their jobs. The issue is the people in charge must have seen this coming ? :neutral:

Amazon, for example, made a loss for a few years when it set up and now must be making a fortune. The internet was always going to cheaper for buying games/cd's etc etc. they should have moved with the times and focused on back end services...

I remember taking in GOW 2, COD MW 2, and a few other games and they offered me about £20 trade in :lol:

I put them on ebay and made £75 !

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently around half of their stores will be closed by 5 o clock today

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/store-closures-begin-at-game-and-gamestation/093365

Just got this one on FB (have Game's feed on there because I had cause to make a nuisance of myself a month or so back about pre-order bonuses)

Here's a list of the stores we believe to have been closed:

Here's a list of the stores we believe to have been closed:

GAME

Croydon
Bristol Cabot Circus
Bath
Milton Keynes
Coventry West Orchards
Norwich
Bromley
Exeter
Plymouth New George Street
Bournemouth

GAMESTATION

Birmingham New Street
Birmingham Palisades
Sutton
Enfield
Bromley
Llaneli
Sunderland
Norwich
Great Yarmouth
Taunton
Ilford
Cumbernauld
Coventry
Hyde
Bournemouth

Sunderland one obviously is heavily confirmed... I was mainly looking to check the fate of the Long Eaton Gamestation since that's the one we tend to go to/detour into and come out £50 lighter from the preowned section...

Most Asda' s have been doing pre owned games for well over a year already, rolled out at back end of 2010 to nearly all supercentres and superstores

i know mate, i worked for them and did some stuff on the profit margins on it for them;)
the ones getting it this year are the netto conversion stores and small stores like Seaham

Last edited:
Big shame for those who lost their jobs, but a poor business model. Why they didn't exploit the online side more I do not kknow, their media prices were just as high as the shops and their download prices just weren't worth considering.

:-O
Big shame for those who lost their jobs, but a poor business model. Why they didn't exploit the online side more I do not kknow, their media prices were just as high as the shops and their download prices just weren't worth considering.

agree on both counts, much like me point above. Their prices were ridiculous for buying and trade-ins

Kborom said:

It's probably a bit like Kodak. Their core business depended on film so they were intrinsically reluctant to push digital as it threatened their established business.

I'd imagine it would've been very difficult for Game to pursue a strategy of undercutting its own retail stores, which make up the bulk of the company.

Of course in hindsight they'll wish they had done it, but their natural instinct would've been to try and protect / push the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back