Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulkster

Striker
They were already on the brink, but their shares have fallen 50% today after they announced most of the major suppliers have stopped supplying them.

Didn't realise that Game, Gamestation and Gameplay were all the same company like.

So this will basically leave Grainger Games and the supermarkets as the only non-online options?

Shares were over 60p a year ago, now less than 2p.

Ouch.

Thank god for that.

Anyone who used GAME/Gamestation while online retailers have been so cheap seriously need a plank owa the back of the heed.

Think I've used Game once in the last 10 years or something. Wasn't gonna get Battlefield 3 straight away but then had a change of heart on release day and got the limited edition one from Game, 10% student discount so it was a fairly decent price, think it was around £38. I've never bought from there any other time though as I've usually pre-ordered new games online or bought second hand from CEX

I feel sorry for them in a way, well the people that work there. I use them when i trade in etc and console launchs have done since forever, be sad to see the biggest high street games shop go under.

a friend of ours(neighbour in the village) is with them

they are fucked basically

get online as well, some bargains to be had there. I had a few quid in points with them, and given that they are about to close I thought I might lose them. AC Revelations is £15, £10 with my points, bargain.

Shame its closing though as it has been the only place to seriously browse for pc games for years

Selling all of thier overseas buisnesses according to a mate of mine, trying to keep the UK ones afloat but even that'll be difficult.

They should make them like Borders imo. Game 'cafes' with assistants who actually know something useful.

It looks like the company that bought Comet have hoyed a bid at them. There's also rumours that Walmart are fancying it. It would give either of them a canny high street presence that they currently lack.

It looks like the company that bought Comet have hoyed a bid at them. There's also rumours that Walmart are fancying it. It would give either of them a canny high street presence that they currently lack.

i doubt it, they've just finalised a deal for every Asda store in the Uk to take in preowned games and it will be rolled out properly late this year.
cant see them taking trade away from their own stores tbh

i doubt it, they've just finalised a deal for every Asda store in the Uk to take in preowned games and it will be rolled out properly late this year.
cant see them taking trade away from their own stores tbh

Seems perfectly viable to me. Theres nee Asda in Sunderland town centre, and I'm sure its the same for many other cities or towns.

All they need to do is shut the gamestation and extra GAME in Sunderland, as well as other places, and it could easily be profitable.

Seems perfectly viable to me. Theres nee Asda in Sunderland town centre, and I'm sure its the same for many other cities or towns.

All they need to do is shut the gamestation and extra GAME in Sunderland, as well as other places, and it could easily be profitable.

Plus they'd just rebrand the instore ASDA stuff as game.

i worked for them for 6 years mate trust me it isnt their strategy, they know fuck all of anything to do with entertainment media, the only reason they sold Call of Duty for£25 and Fifa was because it was tipped by one of the store colleagues as to how profitable it was to sell games like those.
They are losing money hand over fist as it is and they are subject to an inquiry later this year on unethical practices, one of which involves the undercutting of the high street stores.

Dont get me wrong it could happen but it seems unlikely they would given the directors and managers are clueless as fuck about how to run their own business never mind another one.
I could see it as an integration of Asda Direct, which is horrific and was probably designed by a 16 year checkout boy but i dont really see GAME selling up to one of the companies that they have in the past blamed for the death of the highstreet.

Last edited:
i worked for them for 6 years mate trust me it isnt their strategy, they know fuck all of anything to do with entertainment media, the only reason they sold Call of Duty for£25 and Fifa was because it was tipped by one of the store colleagues as to how profitable it was to sell games like those.
They are losing money hand over fist as it is and they are subject to an inquiry later this year on unethical practices, one of which involves the undercutting of the high street stores.

Dont get me wrong it could happen but it seems unlikely they would given the directors and managers are clueless as fuck about how to run their own business never mind another one.
I could see it as an integration of Asda Direct, which is horrific and was probably designed by a 16 year checkout boy but i dont really see GAME selling up to one of the companies that they have in the past blamed for the death of the highstreet.

They will have no choice though.

They will have no choice though.

potentially, its all rumours at the minute but i honestly think it would be one of the worst things ASDA could do getting involved in the high street.
on the flip side it could be good thing with the financial clout they have and he buying power, remains to be seen though, the only people who will gain from it are gamers as Game was just unsustainable, even a pleb like me with no knowledge of business could see that

genericus said:
potentially, its all rumours at the minute but i honestly think it would be one of the worst things ASDA could do getting involved in the high street.
on the flip side it could be good thing with the financial clout they have and he buying power, remains to be seen though, the only people who will gain from it are gamers as Game was just unsustainable, even a pleb like me with no knowledge of business could see that

The one in Blandford street is closing on the 24th march

Although I do feel for anyone who will lose their job but game did that to indi game store owners. I hope we can get some indi shops back. Used to love talking to staff who really know and love games, people who will get imports for you and I go some top games cos once a month I used to go in with £80 and letting the owner spend it for me. Top top games as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back