funny club cricket stories from past years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well before that. It was when he first came over.

Sure it was 1991 mind. I was Pro at Leadgate in the County League and Matthews was at Shildon. I had a barney with him during the game at Shildon. He hit the sight screen when he was batting and wanted a 6 for it. As the sight screen was inside the boundary and not roped off the umpire gave a 4. He went mental when i told him to shut up and get on with the game. When we batted he bounced my first ball and I hooked it miles out the ground. The (same) umpire smiled signalled 6 and said "now that's a proper 6, not just over the ropes but out the ground". Next ball I was ducking as he ran in never mind in his delivery stride. Got even more wound up when i kept calling him an Aussie prick.

Sure it was 1991 mind. I was Pro at Leadgate in the County League and Matthews was at Shildon. I had a barney with him during the game at Shildon. He hit the sight screen when he was batting and wanted a 6 for it. As the sight screen was inside the boundary and not roped off the umpire gave a 4. He went mental when i told him to shut up and get on with the game. When we batted he bounced my first ball and I hooked it miles out the ground. The (same) umpire smiled signalled 6 and said "now that's a proper 6, not just over the ropes but out the ground". Next ball I was ducking as he ran in never mind in his delivery stride. Got even more wound up when i kept calling him an Aussie prick.

It may well have been shildon as I remember the sight screen wheels being well inside the boundary. This would have been mid 80s at the latest as I buggered off to London in 87. He seemed to be one of a number of west Aussies coming over. Tom moody being one and a cracking lad called Paul henshall who played at murton iirc.

greener again ..

i took greener off but his last ball a mini bus turned up with 15 or so students on a drinking trip from dundee well they shouted get him off hes shite the fat bastard ..

well greener lost it walking over to them but as he did he tripped in anger ripping his tight pants all way from zip to top of arse well this angerd him even more then he proceeded to try and tip the bus over
as the kids ran off with us following them . the bus driver inside thought he was rambo he called cops 5 mins later they came he said greener tried to lift his bus over becouse he was getting freindly banter off students ..

cops took our side and after a 20 mins brake we started again with greener coming back on at the end split pants as well to take 6 wks and win the game by 3 runs or so ..

after in the bar 11 ish greener sang to us and 200 students on the karioke [ as he did the students came in they seen him he seen them and everyone shaked his hand afterwards all forgotton but no it wasnt greener on stage with me singing the front if the stage collapsed we fell the whole place went up with laughter ..

rest of week greener never bought a drink every pub he went was free beer .

he put it all down to the heat and my bad skippering ..

just looked at old score books great to read tour scores from 1991 to 2009 ..
so a correction greener scored 47 with a few twos n singles he was out last ball ... total 288 us 283 raf 40 overs game in heat near 80s that day .
mark turner got 107 hutch 60 milnethorpe 55 we never got mentioned this day was all about greener ....
:lol:

Next time I see him I'll ask him about this. Brilliant story.

It may well have been shildon as I remember the sight screen wheels being well inside the boundary. This would have been mid 80s at the latest as I buggered off to London in 87. He seemed to be one of a number of west Aussies coming over. Tom moody being one and a cracking lad called Paul henshall who played at murton iirc.

It wasn't Shildon:

The only clubs he played for in what could be consideredd mid 80's were Whickham his first club in 1985 and Whitburn - possibly Kimblesworth also.

You must have been pretty decent the only boundaries i ever saw off him were over the slips :lol:

It wasn't Shildon:

The only clubs he played for in what could be consideredd mid 80's were Whickham his first club in 1985 and Whitburn - possibly Kimblesworth also.

You must have been pretty decent the only boundaries i ever saw off him were over the slips :lol:

Tell you something he was a smashing lad. For all the sledging and winding up on the pitch as soon as I went in the bar after the game the first thing he did was buy me a pint. We had a few together and got on really well throughout the season. Played the game hard as all Aussies do but top, top bloke.

It wasn't Shildon:

Matthews was pro at Shildon in the early 90's probably 91.

Ok then I'm stumped. It definitely wasn't whickham or Whitburn. Deffo a west Durham team. Fucked if I know.

You know what with all this memory searching, it got me googling a bit and its quite shocking how little is documented on-line about local NE cricket and indeed the history of it.
What with recent changes to the league structures and that, and various clubs not existing anymore a lot of local history could soon be forgotten and lost. Remember the local cricket and football clubs were often part of the mainstays of the local communities particularly in pit villages which were often NCB backed.
A nice little project for an enterprising chap perhaps with time on his hands.

Ok then I'm stumped. It definitely wasn't whickham or Whitburn. Deffo a west Durham team. Fucked if I know.

You know what with all this memory searching, it got me googling a bit and its quite shocking how little is documented on-line about local NE cricket and indeed the history of it.
What with recent changes to the league structures and that, and various clubs not existing anymore a lot of local history could soon be forgotten and lost. Remember the local cricket and football clubs were often part of the mainstays of the local communities particularly in pit villages which were often NCB backed.
It was Shildon mate

It was Shildon mate

I don't doubt it, but unless i am thinking of the wrong chap then the dates don't fit for me.
Perhaps i should see a hypnotist:lol:

Speaking of others who played at that time, where was Wasim Akram at? Burnopfield?

Did Shildon have a load of big trees running along one edge?

I don't doubt it, but unless i am thinking of the wrong chap then the dates don't fit for me.
Perhaps i should see a hypnotist:lol:

Speaking of others who played at that time, where was Wasim Akram at? Burnopfield?

Did Shildon have a load of big trees running along one edge?

They do.small wood on one side. Used to be a superb track

Akram played at Burnopfield whilst Chris Matthews also played at Sacriston. Anyone remember Courtney Walsh at Tynedale (I think)?

Akram played at Burnopfield whilst Chris Matthews also played at Sacriston. Anyone remember Courtney Walsh at Tynedale (I think)?

Yes Courtney Walsh played at Tynedale. Sure it was in early to mid 1980's.
Tell you the history of NE cricket is absolutely fascinating. There can be no other sport where you had the chance to play against some of the best players in the world on your own grounds. Rules, central contracts and number of games they play (IPL etc) plus stupid UK Border Agency rules on Work Permits now stop this from happening.
I would love it if clubs could still do this as it would certain raise the standards and the entertainment value in local cricket.:)

Yes - they had Ian Bishop also and Burnopfield had Desmond Haynes

He was at Sacriston for a season.

Tell you something he was a smashing lad. For all the sledging and winding up on the pitch as soon as I went in the bar after the game the first thing he did was buy me a pint. We had a few together and got on really well throughout the season. Played the game hard as all Aussies do but top, top bloke.

I couldnt agree. He was a brilliant bloke. I can remember being a 15 / 16 year old playing for the first team at Whickham and the top players Micky Urwin / Ian Clough made you terrified to do something wrong in the field yet Matthews was completely different. He made you feel a million dollars after a good bit of fielding and if you put one down he just encouraged you to make the next one count. I always remember on his debut for Whickham he got 10 wickets against leadgate I think - he had taken the first 9 and I then dropped one of Urwin (psdycho) who did his nut. I then caught a top edge off Matthews who bought me my drinks for the night.

Top, top bloke.

Yes - they had Ian Bishop also and Burnopfield had Desmond Haynes

He was at Sacriston for a season.

I couldnt agree. He was a brilliant bloke. I can remember being a 15 / 16 year old playing for the first team at Whickham and the top players Micky Urwin / Ian Clough made you terrified to do something wrong in the field yet Matthews was completely different. He made you feel a million dollars after a good bit of fielding and if you put one down he just encouraged you to make the next one count. I always remember on his debut for Whickham he got 10 wickets against leadgate I think - he had taken the first 9 and I then dropped one of Urwin (psdycho) who did his nut. I then caught a top edge off Matthews who bought me my drinks for the night.

Top, top bloke.

You couldn't agree ??? thats what I said he was a smashing (good) lad.:?:

greener taking 5 for not many at swalwell for tyne n wear v dundee hsfp

fatty was ill with gout but he wanted to play this game as he was a mate of our jock visitors . he came on to bowl nee boots nee socks only his whites ..

this was a real game not freindly as we were playing for the [ loch ness cup ] :roll:
well they needed around 60 ish off 15 ish overs lots wkds in hand so greener said al bowl off a couple of yards so i chucked ball to him n off he went . you had to see it to believe it this aussie jock :lol: came down the wkd smashing the ball back to greener who for a moment put his foot in the way then at last minute lifted it and the ball went straight for 4 runs:evil: .
i said something not nice like get off fatty we want to win what happens if ball hits yaa feet .. greener said daaant worry now feeck off owa their ..

he went on to run through them and helped win the [ loch ness cup ] :p

as you can gather we were mates with the jocks re tours but all the games had an edge old rivals ect of course their was nee [ loch ness cup ] non other than a cracking tour game .
all these moments go back years and all are as they happend people who toured over a 27 year span will tell you all about it and[ greeners moments ] on tour book coming out writen by me named [ A CRICKET TOUR TO SCOTLAND LED BY THE BENNY HILL OF NORTH EAST CRICKET ] norman smith sean smith mark newton veitchy woodsy plenty of aussies reachy epson many many more who came along .. best times of my cricket life

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back