Funeral directors

Kevsgreat

Striker
Wondering if anyone can help or advise on a funeral director? I did search but nothing really came up and it is a bit of a morbid area.

We lost my mam this week and now we're trying to make arrangements. She wasn't particularly religious so we don't want to go down that route, but when we mentioned she was more into spiritualism and believed in an afterlife we were told that a humanist service might not be suitable. Are there only the two options?

I've looked online but I can't really find much past the usual suspects locally. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Wondering if anyone can help or advise on a funeral director? I did search but nothing really came up and it is a bit of a morbid area.

We lost my mam this week and now we're trying to make arrangements. She wasn't particularly religious so we don't want to go down that route, but when we mentioned she was more into spiritualism and believed in an afterlife we were told that a humanist service might not be suitable. Are there only the two options?

I've looked online but I can't really find much past the usual suspects locally. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mam Kev, big hugs and my deepest sympathies my love 😞 xx
My brother had a humanist service, they talk about the person and would basically take details of what you wanted to be said and relay them on the day to the mourners xx

Could you ring a funeral parlour and ask their advice? I'm sure a lot of people don't want the religious side, but need to sort something. If the parlour can't help they likely will point you in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about your mam.

Sorry for your loss. I‘ve no idea where you are, but I just used Stuart Wright for my father last week, expensive I’m told, but it’s not the kind of thing you feel like shopping around for, the only other option in my area DH1, was the Co-Op. We opted for a celebrant style service, without the religious aspect.

Sorry about your Mam mate. Hope you’re ok.

Sorry to hear about your mam

A humanist is non religious and doesn't do prayers, hymes etc they just talk about the persons life

A celebrant is tailored to what you want in the service non religious, religious or part religious and also talk about the persons life

Funeral Directors will have a network of contacts for humanists and celebrants that they have used before, just inform them you need either

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was a bit wary posting this but I know there are people from all walks of life get on here.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your mam Kev, big hugs and my deepest sympathies my love 😞 xx
My brother had a humanist service, they talk about the person and would basically take details of what you wanted to be said and relay them on the day to the mourners xx
Thanks lop. I've been to a few humanist services and I think done right they can be really nice, for want of a better word. I think in this case it's the fact one place has told my sister humanist might not be what she's looking for that we're just making sure we get the right thing.
Sorry for your loss. I‘ve no idea where you are, but I just used Stuart Wright for my father last week, expensive I’m told, but it’s not the kind of thing you feel like shopping around for, the only other option in my area DH1, was the Co-Op. We opted for a celebrant style service, without the religious aspect.
Thank you, I haven't heard of a celebrant service so I'll look into that. You're right, I don't even want to think about the financial aspect of it but it's not something I want to drag out.

I'm sorry about your father too, I hope he got a good send off.
Could you ring a funeral parlour and ask their advice? I'm sure a lot of people don't want the religious side, but need to sort something. If the parlour can't help they likely will point you in the right direction.

Thanks Peachy. My sister spoke to a few places and I don't think she's found them to be much help in this specific case. I don't know if what she's looking for even exists. What I might do is see about any local spiritualist churches and see if I can get in touch with them.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss, I lost a sister recently so I know how dreadful it is dealing with these practicalities when all you want to do is curl up in a ball. As a family we decided we didn't want a stranger reading out a potted version of her, it seemed a bit sterile.
We asked people to write a personal memory and they, or a nominated person read it out. It was an affirmation her life and very moving. There were daft stories, people wrote poems etc.
If your family feel comfortable doing that I'd recommend it. You don't have to have someone from outside.

Sorry to hear about your Mam.
Dont know whereabouts you are, but most (if not all) local funeral directors will do whatever type of funeral you opt for.
They'll all have contacts in the various 'faiths' etc and really the funeral directors are there to cater for people's wishes.
I've worked in Cemeteries for over 32 years and in my experience the local, family run businesses (that have been going for years) tend to be the most caring.
So sorry for your loss, I lost a sister recently so I know how dreadful it is dealing with these practicalities when all you want to do is curl up in a ball. As a family we decided we didn't want a stranger reading out a potted version of her, it seemed a bit sterile.
We asked people to write a personal memory and they, or a nominated person read it out. It was an affirmation her life and very moving. There were daft stories, people wrote poems etc.
If your family feel comfortable doing that I'd recommend it. You don't have to have someone from outside.
Yeah.
Legally, you don't even have to have a funeral director/firm in attendance

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss mate.

The wife worked in Funeral care for years and always said a humanist minister would be her preferred choice.
She always said that services ran my a religious person was all God, god, Jesus, Jesus, didn't the bible teach us to ... blah blah
Knock out Morning has Broken and Abide with me and then off you go.
Very impersonal, ran by someone who went through the same speech day after day.

Humanist ministers talked all about the person, invited people who knew them to share thoughts and made the whole things about the person.

Sorry to hear about your mam mate.
We lost a close friend a year ago and she didn't want any fuss, so she organised her own pure cremation thing, then her hubby had a get together at Biddick club for friends and family. They played the music she loved and got a humanist in to tell her life story. It worked well I thought

We used Manor House at TEF and Peter there recommended a Celebrant for my dad, we just wanted it non religious but I got the impression they just do whatever is asked.

The funeral director arranges whatever you ask for really.

Sorry for your loss mate. All our family always in times like this use John hogg . They're fantastic as best as can be from start to finish. Totally professional throughout . Once again sorry for your loss mate

Sorry to hear mate. Ones round here do a humanist one. Cater for different kinds. Usually a funeral director in every town so although they dont advertise might be worth ringing a few. It might be something they would take on. They seem popular now

I used a local one when I buried my sister. He had contacts for all funeral types. He was good at the orga siding and actual funeral piece but also illiterate and flighty, not always what you want when organising a funeral.

I have just found this though as I was searching, a few links that may be useful for you in there.

Back