Friends on Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a point. I find the show amusing but all six main characters have some fairly deep personality flaws. Amongst other things, they have some of the worst music taste ever amongst six people who age from mid 20s to mid 30s over the show's 10 year lifespan. You'd think Phoebe, as the hippy character, might have some interesting and obscure tastes but, no, bloody massive Sting fan! And, there's an early episode when it's someone's birthday (either Ross or Monica) and they go to a Hootie & the Blowfish gig. There's no hint of youthful rebellion there in any of them!

Aside form Monica, who decided to buck her Dad's mate even though he remembered her when she was a baby.
That, is phenomenally weird.

Aside form Monica, who decided to buck her Dad's mate even though he remembered her when she was a baby.
That, is phenomenally weird.

Aye, that's just strange. They all seemed quite accepting of it. Ross was initially far more unhappy when he discovered her relationship with Chandler than he was when he found out about her and Magnum PI.

Aye, that's just strange. They all seemed quite accepting of it. Ross was initially far more unhappy when he discovered her relationship with Chandler than he was when he found out about her and Magnum PI.

There was so many odd things about it when you think about it.
Ross saw his first kid like twice in 10 years and he bought a monkey.

He has a point. I find the show amusing but all six main characters have some fairly deep personality flaws. Amongst other things, they have some of the worst music taste ever amongst six people who age from mid 20s to mid 30s over the show's 10 year lifespan. You'd think Phoebe, as the hippy character, might have some interesting and obscure tastes but, no, bloody massive Sting fan! And, there's an early episode when it's someone's birthday (either Ross or Monica) and they go to a Hootie & the Blowfish gig. There's no hint of youthful rebellion there in any of them!
Generally agree but there were some decent musical associations imo.
1. The theme tune - ok it's well cheesy, but the jangly power pop meets the everly bros vibe is genuinely good imo. Chorus a bit nasally and repetitive but hey ho...
2. Chrissie Hynde and Chris Isaak guest star with Phoebe.
3. The soap opera party on the roof has Thrown Down by Fleetwood Mac on very prominently and I love that song.
there's probably more...

Mind you - I remember being a bit shocked at the idea they were into Hootie & The Goldfish at the time and it looks an even worse choice now! :lol:
Aniston AND Cox went out with the singer from Counting Crows in real life anarl lucky get! Maybe would they have been a slightly better bet - still naff but not quite as bad.

It's not aged as well as many other programmes.
Mind you I saw a comedian make a great point about Friends.

They had to be all white because if they were any other race, colour or background, it wouldn't have worked.
his point was "They all had to be white because they were all total pricks" :lol:
TBH, I liked Friends but I really never got a the whole hype. I never got how people would say that they could relate to the characters. I didn't know anyone who was like Ross.

There was so many odd things about it when you think about it.
Ross saw his first kid like twice in 10 years and he bought a monkey.

To be fair, he's a biologist, they can be weird...

TBH, I liked Friends but I really never got a the whole hype. I never got how people would say that they could relate to the characters. I didn't know anyone who was like Ross.

They're all exaggerated examples of their personality types though. Ross is basically a magnified science geek.

Last edited:
The 90's was the era of the anti-hero. You had bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam coming through. Gangsta rap had just blown up big time. You had Jerry Springer and the WWF Attitude Era. Lad and Ladette culture. And here was 6 middle class white 20 somethings who are going to see Hootie and Blowfish.:lol:

madly obsessed with Rachel/Aniston? Millions of blokes were man :lol:

The 90's was the era of the anti-hero. You had bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam coming through. Gangsta rap had just blown up big time. You had Jerry Springer and the WWF Attitude Era. Lad and Ladette culture. And here was 6 middle class white 20 somethings who are going to see Hootie and Blowfish.:lol:
Ross was into rap - he did a rap song in the 80s

I love some of the fans theories on the show. Like that ross had a restraining order against him for his son because of his 'rage' . Ben is hardly in it after the first few seasons

This is the best one though:

Possibly the darkest fan theory to ever grace the internet came from Twitter user @strnks. He suggested an ending to the series in which it turned out that Phoebe was still homeless, and that the entire show had been a product of her meth-addled mind.

The final scene would see her going past Central Perk and seeing Ross, Rachel, Joey, Chandler, and Monica inside. Except they all have different names and personalities and refer to her as “the crazy lady who always stares at us”.

Friends would then end with her taking shelter from the rain in the park by setting up six brightly colored umbrellas on a bench. All this poor version of Phoebe wanted was friends – so she invented them from scratch. When told of the theory, co-creator Marta Kauffman said: “That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever heard.” She’s right. It really is.

I love some of the fans theories on the show. Like that ross had a restraining order against him for his son because of his 'rage' . Ben is hardly in it after the first few seasons

Possibly the darkest fan theory to ever grace the internet came from Twitter user @strnks. He suggested an ending to the series in which it turned out that Phoebe was still homeless, and that the entire show had been a product of her meth-addled mind.

The final scene would see her going past Central Perk and seeing Ross, Rachel, Joey, Chandler, and Monica inside. Except they all have different names and personalities and refer to her as “the crazy lady who always stares at us”.

Friends would then end with her taking shelter from the rain in the park by setting up six brightly colored umbrellas on a bench. All this poor version of Phoebe wanted was friends – so she invented them from scratch. When told of the theory, co-creator Marta Kauffman said: “That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever heard.” She’s right. It really is.

I've seen that before. What an ending that would be though. Talk about going off over a cliff

That would have been so much better than the real ending...

The two Rosses episode was f***ing brilliant. Up there with the two Niles episode in Frasier.

I reckon people who can't just admit they like it are probably repressing other things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back