Four day working week - a success

Is it not an additional hour or two per day condensed over 4 days

Reduced hours with no change to pay is what drives productivity up, energising and motivating so more is done in less time (without burnout).

It's being trialled more and more now.

County Durham HR can only speak for County Durham Council.
They can't just up the hourly rate to cover it.
Their words not mine

Sounds like a blag. Oh well when it starts rolling out elsewhere I wish them luck in future recruitment.

Last edited:
I think there is an issue with a small minority who are absolutely workshy.

However, I'd argue theres been an issue with workshy bastards for a long time.

I would have cleaned bogs when I left school rather than claiming dole.

But, the country is falling apart more because of huge levels of corruption, tax avoidance and the top 5% of earners getting substantially richer whilst the bottom feeders are being shit on. Coupled with a complete lack of investment in public services.

Your comment that women should be at home running the household is nonsense and would rob the workforce of millions of brilliant minds and people who are irreplaceable.
^^ This

Sounds like a blag. Oh well when it starts rolling out elsewhere I wish them luck in future recruitment.
In 2016 or 17 Durham TAs had 32 hour contracts but were paid 37.
Durham HR said they had taken legal advice and said they had to work 37 hours or receive 32/37th of their pay.
They said increasing the grade to make up the shortfall wasn't possible.
Funnily the staff in HR would be a department which would benefit from a 4 day week. They've been hoisted by their own petard.

The TAs in our school were already working at least 37 hrs going breakfast and after school clubs.

I'm meant to be working for home today but left my laptop at work by accident. Not sure if that counts?

Work for an old fashioned account, won't hold my breath for the 4 day week.

Even though my workload and targets are set for the year.

Last edited:
Do you think we should still work weekends as well then?
He’s a Tory. He thinks we should all work 75 hours a week without any holidays or sick pay. Ironically, the current Tory party party are some of the biggest workshy bastards there are!
I think there is an issue with a small minority who are absolutely workshy.

However, I'd argue theres been an issue with workshy bastards for a long time.

I would have cleaned bogs when I left school rather than claiming dole.

But, the country is falling apart more because of huge levels of corruption, tax avoidance and the top 5% of earners getting substantially richer whilst the bottom feeders are being shit on. Coupled with a complete lack of investment in public services.

Your comment that women should be at home running the household is nonsense and would rob the workforce of millions of brilliant minds and people who are irreplaceable.
It’s just his ‘traditional’ values. I mean, it’s blatant sexism but that’s what he hides behind.

Last edited:
I dont think I could do it, compressing your working week into 1 less day , I just wouldnt like the longer days ( as thats what it is at our business, still your 37 hours week..just over 4 days instead of 5) they are not going to pay you the same for less hours are they

Last edited:
Durham County HR have said it would be illegal for an employee to work 30 hours but be paid 37
Durham HR sound incompetent if they cannot figure this out.
I dont think I could do it, compressing your working week into 1 less day , I just wouldnt like the longer days ( as thats what it is at our business, still your 37 hours week..just over 4 days instead of 5) they are not going to pay you the same for less hours are they
Yes, that's exactly what they are doing. However, the same amount of work gets done as people are more focussed and not winding the clock down.

Last edited:
Durham HR sound incompetent if they cannot figure this out.

Yes, that's exactly what they are doing. However, the same amount of work gets done as people are more focussed and not winding the clock down.
They couldn't figure out how to do it with low paid teaching assistants. Be hypocritical if they figure out how to do it for themselves.

There’s not much of an argument here. 89% of businesses who tried it are still using it. If it didnt work for businesses, that number would be a lot lower. It’s not about people being soft, lazy, etc., its about achieving better outcomes. If that means working 4 days then its win win

Back