Forthcoming gigs.

My brief take:

Good:

Tom Hingley - Musically very tight and prompted my to dig out some old IC cds this morning.
Theatre of Hate - As above really. Bold to start with Westworld
The Farm - All together Now very well received.
The Wedding Present - Almost perfect choice of songs for a short set. Particularly enjoyed Bewitched and the female guitarist's enthusisasm.
Peter Hook - Excellent to hear two Warsaw songs. I love how JD developed very quickly and how Hannett's production improved their songs. Mr Hook may disagree.

Bad:

Tom Hingley - Tom's constant 'come to the front please' pleas.
Theatre of Hate - For a band who have saxophone as a 'lead' instrument. It wasn't evident in the mix on quite a few songs.
The Farm - I have no love for them. Lumpy Scouse chancers with maybe 2/3 decent songs.
The Wedding Present - Nothing to note.
Peter Hook - The constant issues with his bass.

General:

I like the idea of a passout.
General sound mix issues. I presume because the bands didn't have their own soundcheck
A lively, small moshpit.
Showsec staff making genuine efforts to ensure people had access to water. Seems to be the norm nowadays which is good.
Nice to see the timings adhered to.
No PH merch.
The references to NUFC's victory over Spurs. Yes, you're playing in Newcastle. How many are from Newcastle and are bothered? Very weakly cheered.

All in all, I really enjoyed it. 9/10. Please don't call it a 'festival' though.
Aye was canny all round I liked the Farm better than I expected and agree about Hingley's banter, got bit boring. Passouts were good, went out between Hingley and Theatre of Hate for pint in City Tavern - good choice of ales and lots cheaper than CH. Sure there was a few singing 'Clarke will tear you apart' during last song. Was standing near back and to side and could pick it out

Good vibes with Porij, at The Grurve. NCL was the start of their tour, with their debut album being out next week - well worth checking out!

Was also pleasantly surprised with their support act, Chat. Some good synthy-pop, and they're from SUNLUN!

Logon or register to see this image

Playing the Cluny on my birthday. Might have to make my debut.
Get yourself there. I’ll be going to Manchester and working out the logistics of York/Newcastle/Nottingham. They are also the support for at their 40th anniversary gig at Shepherds Bush Empire a week on Saturday which I am attending.

Jim, last night at the cluny 2

absolutely outstanding. best gig i've been to in a long time

to quote a great man (no doubt posts on here :lol: )

'Channelling pure 1970's Laurel Canyon vibes and ticking all the Steely Dan, Hall and Oates, Ned Doheny boxes'.

Public Service Broadcasting for the Sage in October. Tickets aquired this morning. Go direct to the Sage website for 'fee free' tickets. A welcome rarity these days.
i've just picked up my tickets from there for them just now, great website. thought about standing tkts but they're not exactly a jumping set normally so picked out some seats! :lol:

Was at Wylam Brewery last night for the Northern Symphonia playing The Music of Twin Peaks. Acoustics/sound system were a bit wonky in places but the band were fantastic.

They didn't do a very good job of advertising that they were cherry pie with damn fine coffee else I'd have been up earlier.

Back