Forgotten Clothing Emporiums of the North East

That thread about Salon 70 took me down memory lane a bit and got me thinking about the clothes shops we used to use back then. West One was the main place for us in Sunderland, obviously you had Hodgson’s and Marco Polo in the same street. Jon Pierre, Cosmos and there was also a short lived Benetton in Sunderland. Any more?
In those days, the shop on the corner of Blandford Street, that subsequently had some awful incarnations, had a brief period where they sold some nice gear, I forget the name.

Got a pair of Diadora Bjorn Borgs in Gold and a pair of football boots from there which were class. Shop didn’t last long though.
Bought a Moda grey tracksuit from there in 85 when I was very young. Toss up between that, Fila or Tachinni. God knows why I went with Moda.
Mate , who in your world wears f***ing jeans ? :lol:

Away man, get yourself out of the Shipwrights sharing fags at the door with Black Ritchy and get yourself out and about.

Jeans ffs
Who in the world wears jeans?. Do you only knock about with chino clad mates?. I'd hazard a guess and say 75% of blokes wear jeans

Last edited:
Who in the world wears jeans?. Do you only knock about with chino clad mates?. I'd hazard a guess and say 75% of blokes wear jeans
Gotta be even higher than that surely. Main exceptions being knackers in chino's as you state and these plebs who insist on wearing shorts 365 days a year, no matter what the weather.

Top quality trainers. Still are.
My original ones ripped across the front in about 87. Mind, I did play football in them all the time on this awful surface at university. Like a hard clay/gravel surface.

Bought a couple of pairs when re-released in around 2003. Didn’t wear them anywhere near as much.

The original kangaroo skin ones, with the signature on the side would go for a bomb. Surely over a grand?

Bought a Moda grey tracksuit from there in 85 when I was very young. Toss up between that, Fila or Tachinni. God knows why I went with Moda.

Moda was famous for having the best material for backspins whilst breakdancing! Wasn't one myself, but remember the Barmston Breakin Crew all wearing them, saying it was the shiniest, slippiest material for breakin'.

My original ones ripped across the front in about 87. Mind, I did play football in them all the time on this awful surface at university. Like a hard clay/gravel surface.

Bought a couple of pairs when re-released in around 2003. Didn’t wear them anywhere near as much.

The original kangaroo skin ones, with the signature on the side would go for a bomb. Surely over a grand?
If they were new and boxed i could imagine them being daft money. I wore mine to death.
Have a pair, that i bought about 5-6 years ago, with silver rather than the gold. They only come out when we go on holiday.
Look good. Really comfy.

75% of blokes over 55 yes

Back