Footy book recommendations while we're all stuck in the house please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read one when I was a kid, Fred Eyre - Kicked into touch.
Got that, not read in aeons.

Last football one I read is the Lee Howey one, canny though sone of Gillan's purple prose gets in the way. My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes is a great insight into the football world during the maximum wage era. A lot of good books mentioned already, Harry Pearson is good value on any subject. I always recommend Pete Davies - All Played Out (1990 World Cup).

The Glory and the Dream by Pat Woods and Tom Campbell is a fantastic history of Celtic that really generates the atmosphere of each era and brings to life players from long ago. I appreciate this is of specific interest to Celtic fans but it is a masterclass in historical research and thoughtful football writing.

Stokoe, Sunderland and ‘73 by Lance Hardy is the best book I’ve read on SAFC. Goes into plenty of detail about the history of the club, the years leading up to the cup win and what followed before Stokoe left. Really interesting.

Stokoe, Sunderland and ‘73 by Lance Hardy is the best book I’ve read on SAFC. Goes into plenty of detail about the history of the club, the years leading up to the cup win and what followed before Stokoe left. Really interesting.

Great choice. Also a mention for Give us tomorrow now about Alan Durbans time in charge, both books aren't just about SAFC but about the times in general.

We don't know what we're doing by Adrian Chiles.
Cracking read.

Journeyman - Ben Smith
The Good, The Mad and The Ugly - Andy Morrison
How not to be a football millionaire - Keith Gillespie
I Believe in Miracles - Daniel Taylor
This is the one - Daniel Taylor
Bloody Southerners - Spencer Vignes
Winging It - Mark Walters
The Billionaires Club - James Montague
Garrrincha - Ruy Castro
Damaged - Paul Stewart
Quiet Genius - Ian Herbert
Determined - Norman Whiteside
Rise of the Underdog - Danny Higginbotham
Seeing Red - Chic Charnley
In where it hurts - Bryan Gunn

Frank Worthingtons book was excellent, also seen him as an after dinner speaker , bit of a lad with a SAFC connection . Goal he scored for Bolton V Ipswich is well worth a look on YouTube if you get the chance .

Step da bought me this a few years ago and its sat on the shelf ever since, think i will dust it off and give it a go after reading a few recommendations on this thread.

Yes - a great book . The Boy On The Shed by Paul Ferris which won Daily Telegraph sports book of the year 2018 is also brilliant. Journeyman by Ben Smith likewise.. Most football books tend to be the usual boring game by game accounts with the stereotypical off the field antics. The above books are different. Of the books I have read about Sunderland I thought the Len Ashurst autoboigraphy gave a good insight into the Brown and McColl eras.

The Ferris one is superb.

The other two player ones that stand out for me are Cascarino and McGrath.

Howey’s is by far the best SAFC one, didn’t rate Reid’s, Phillips’ or Quinn’s.

The Ferris one is superb.

The other two player ones that stand out for me are Cascarino and McGrath.

Howey’s is by far the best SAFC one, didn’t rate Reid’s, Phillips’ or Quinn’s.
Read those other two books also. Cascarino and McGrath are two totally different individuals yet both give a great insight not only to the game but life in general.
I thought Phillips book a shocker. Could have been ghosted by a 10 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back