Footy book recommendations while we're all stuck in the house please.

The Far Corner - Harry Pearson slightly dated now but probably my favorite football book

Also got How to be a footballer - Peter Crouch for Christmas, very good, very funny
Would highly recommend his podcasts if you haven't listened yet

I quite enjoyed Give Us Tomorrow Now: Alan Durban's Mission Impossible -Not very controversial apart from a bit about stan Cummins but proper enjoyed it -

The Club-Joshua Robinson/Jonathan Clegg
Up There-Michael Walker
Zonal Marking-Michael Cox
Matter Of Life & Death-Jim White

Reading Massively Violent Decidedly Average
I'm the same age as Lee and from southside so it's quite a good trip down memory lane

My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes - Gary Imlach. Brilliant insight into previous generations of footballers and so much more than a book about football.
Yes - a great book . The Boy On The Shed by Paul Ferris which won Daily Telegraph sports book of the year 2018 is also brilliant. Journeyman by Ben Smith likewise.. Most football books tend to be the usual boring game by game accounts with the stereotypical off the field antics. The above books are different. Of the books I have read about Sunderland I thought the Len Ashurst autoboigraphy gave a good insight into the Brown and McColl eras.

Back