Football v Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I get older rugby does seem to have more of an attraction. The whole experience seems a million times better. Some of the lads at work are off to see Scotland v Wales this afternoon. They'll go into town, have a few beers in the same pubs as the Welsh with very little chance of trouble, stand next to a few in the ground with a beer in their hand, and have a few beers afterwards regardless of the result. Come back having had a great day.

Like that time England won the world cup with Johnny Wilkinson. To score a goal in football generally takes a high level of skill and endeavour. How England won the world cup was like " I can't be arsed to score a try the proper way, I'll just have a hopeful punt". There's no way you can win a game of football by default like you can in rugby

"Hopeful punt" - it's obvious you've never played.

A drop goal requires a huge amount of skill. First the oval ball has to be controlled & manipulated into a position whereby the kicker can drop the ball in front of his foot. Because of the shape of the ball, it has to be dropped on its point, as its almost impossible to drop it on its fat point & get the foot underneath it. Again because of the shape of the ball, the foot coordination has to be 100% spot on to get the correct amount of height & trajectory, to get it between the posts, from approx. 27 to 28 metres. Wilkinson was a natural left footed player. This was on his right peg.

All of the above is done whilst a couple of 6 foot plus 18 stone hairy arsed guys who want to rip your head off are steaming towards Wilkinson. AND it was done in minute 99, when they normally play 80. I imagine he was fairly knackered when he couldn't be arsed to score a try & have his hopeful punt.

Wilkinson when he played used to practice kicks for hours ( a bit like Beckham used to ). Guess that's why they say practice makes perfect & I for one am absolutely delighted that he spent hours doing those practice sessions & that he got his hopeful punt spot on & won the world cup

And he's consistently criticised for having his teams play boring football.

I didn't say everything else was bad, Ice Hockey can be good, baseball, cricket, curling... and to be honest rugby can be entertaining at times, but on the whole it's boring as fuck.

It's slow, slow, quick quick, slow. I don't know loads about it, but I know there are two codes; one of them allows a number of tackles before they punt it forward and give the other team a turn, the other one doesn't have that. I know both of them elicit squeals of excitement from posh blonde girls (often drowning in their boyfriends rugby shirt) whenever one of the big lads breaks into a sprint. The same girls who would never actually go to a club game.

Rugby is great because you can drink beer in your seat without some arsehole steward telling you not to. It's great because you can talk to your mate as it plays out in the back ground without you missing anything. It's great because it only pops into existence every so often, like the Olympics or Ski-Sunday.

The game itself is f***ing pish.

Irony.......Rugby is boring and football isn't - I suggest you watch the SAFC vs Burnley 0-0 draw in the cup

Rugby is 95% physicality, 5% skill.
I would say the skill level is higher down under though.
Football is 50/50.
Some athletics is pure physicality so not a pop at rugby, just a fact that you can become a pro while not being able to throw, catch or kick a ball very well.

Have to say the France v Scotland game was one of the better ones I have seen for a while.
Wales v England was turgid.

"Hopeful punt" - it's obvious you've never played.

A drop goal requires a huge amount of skill. First the oval ball has to be controlled & manipulated into a position whereby the kicker can drop the ball in front of his foot. Because of the shape of the ball, it has to be dropped on its point, as its almost impossible to drop it on its fat point & get the foot underneath it. Again because of the shape of the ball, the foot coordination has to be 100% spot on to get the correct amount of height & trajectory, to get it between the posts, from approx. 27 to 28 metres. Wilkinson was a natural left footed player. This was on his right peg.

All of the above is done whilst a couple of 6 foot plus 18 stone hairy arsed guys who want to rip your head off are steaming towards Wilkinson. AND it was done in minute 99, when they normally play 80. I imagine he was fairly knackered when he couldn't be arsed to score a try & have his hopeful punt.

Wilkinson when he played used to practice kicks for hours ( a bit like Beckham used to ). Guess that's why they say practice makes perfect & I for one am absolutely delighted that he spent hours doing those practice sessions & that he got his hopeful punt spot on & won the world cup
It's still easier than scoring the proper way. And there's no easier option to score in football

Rugby is 95% physicality, 5% skill.
I would say the skill level is higher down under though.
Football is 50/50.
Some athletics is pure physicality so not a pop at rugby, just a fact that you can become a pro while not being able to throw, catch or kick a ball very well.

Have to say the France v Scotland game was one of the better ones I have seen for a while.
Wales v England was turgid.

I always reckon it is 50% ballet 50% wrestling. As professional rugby more and more about power speed and strength....physicality. So who wins games is about who has the best skills..in being able to offer load under extreme physical pressure or accelerate and sidestep vertical quickly. One way to sum up is footie is give and go whereas rugby go and give. Undoubtedly Rugby is more physical and football less so...skills can be expressed easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back